Lt. Commander
I am looking for some feedback. I had an idea to see if Foundry Authors could add voice-overs to their missions. So, this week-end I wanted to see how well it could work, so I recorded some voice tracks of some of the dialogue from my missions and added some text prompts to let you know the right time to play the audio files. I did not have time to round up some of the PodcastUGC team, so I used some pretty good TTS software and added an effect here and there.

I think it came out pretty well. But I would love to get some feedback from other players to see how easy it is to work with audio files while playing STO. And if they added to the enjoyment of the missions.

If you want to try them the missions are:

Maelstrom
By @Altexist
Starfleet Mission – Any level
A routine scientific transport mission quickly turns into a struggle to save your ship and the balance of power in the quadrant. This mission takes place in the Regulus Sector.
Audio Files can be found at http://maelstrom.publishpath.com/
And
Tipping Point
By @Altexist
Starfleet Mission – Any level
When you discover a planet on the verge of an ecological disaster, will you be able to save the inhabitants in time at the risk of breaking the Prime Directive and dragging the Federation into another conflict? This mission takes place in the Xleen System of the Argelius Sector.
Audio Files can be found at http://tippingpoint.publishpath.com/

Thanks you playing and let me know what you thk.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-29-2012, 03:36 PM
It's a great idea, but it won't happen dude.

Anything that requires an uploaded file to be added to STO is a security/virus risk. They allowed user generated flag designs in Pirates of the Burning sea for a while, but had to stop allowing it for various reasons.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-29-2012, 05:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chooch99 View Post
It's a great idea, but it won't happen dude.

Anything that requires an uploaded file to be added to STO is a security/virus risk. They allowed user generated flag designs in Pirates of the Burning sea for a while, but had to stop allowing it for various reasons.
I think you may be missing Alt's point. He doesn't expect to upload anything. Rather, we'll probably using third-party sites, like sbugc, to post audio files with instructions for when to play them during the mission (with a media player).

What we're debating is how to let players know that a mission VOs are available to listen to while playing. It could work well, if tribal knowledge knows where to find the VOs, since an author isn't allowed to post a web url in a foundry mission.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-29-2012, 06:37 PM
I think the "no URLs" thing really needs to be rethought. At the very least we should be allowed to link to a page in the forum about our mission. Also, I think we should have some sort of in-game blog where we can talk about our missions, and where players can interact with us.

The short blurb that we can write about our missions is just too short, as is the very small review section players can write in. I think that stuff is fine, but we need additional area for feedback and interaction with players.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-29-2012, 10:21 PM
it be a cool idea i think as well as bring some of that demo record stuff into the foundry to make cut scenes. I also like to be able to import 3d meshes as a fbx file.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-30-2012, 12:14 AM
This is a brilliant concept. This is the exact reason I watch Broadcast UGC and play along. I love having voice overs. I think StarbaseUGC better grab this idea and run with it. The only down fall is we wouldn't be able to link the audience to the VO file within the foundry mission.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-30-2012, 06:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by filbones View Post
This is a brilliant concept. This is the exact reason I watch Broadcast UGC and play along. I love having voice overs. I think StarbaseUGC better grab this idea and run with it. The only down fall is we wouldn't be able to link the audience to the VO file within the foundry mission.
actualy can if the file was uploaded to the cryptic servers and first gone through a virus check. Then it will be easy to type up some coding to stream the voice over file right from the server.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-30-2012, 07:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DjChrisX
actualy can if the file was uploaded to the cryptic servers and first gone through a virus check. Then it will be easy to type up some coding to stream the voice over file right from the server.
My thought was not to upload files to Cryptic. That would be great if they would host the files and play them as needed. But I would not think they would take the risk of hosting inappropriate or copy written audio tracks on their servers.

My idea was that the files would be hosted by a 3rd party and the player would play them at the appropriate time. What I would like is if the in game music player would worked better (right now it goes away after every map transition) or was revamp with this idea in mind.

I am also hoping to get some feedback on how the voice tracks sound. I used some TTS software and I think they sound passable. But I only worked with the software for a short time. If I knew more about sound editing, I think I could get some of the voices to sound a bit better. Anyone have a tip on how to get a more professional sounding audio file?

I have already have had some people volunteer to record tracks with their own voices. Which I think would be great. I would love to star to see some more missions using this. I have talk to some players and they find many foundry missions too “wordy” and they just click past long text. But they say they would be more willing to listen to text in a mission. (Thanks modern US and UK schooling system.)

I am hoping the when (and if) Cryptic adds a “cut-Scene” tool to the foundry there is a way that Authors can make audio tracks that can be played with them. I think that this would allow foundry authors to add more story without players clicking past just to get to the pew pew.
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-30-2012, 07:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altexist View Post
...snip...
Nice idea, but will not work at the moment. It is just way to much hassle to set it up and operate properly for a casual player. The VO distribution and playback timing could be automatized (with some initial setup and few limitations). The problem is that casual players won't even know this "option" exists in any shape or form in the first place. So it would be just a waste of time.

Adding a link anywhere opens up the possibility of in game marketing. Cryptic is not staffed enough to check each link and determine if that was legit download link or some advertisement page.

Cryptic won't do this upload download trick. First, it eats up their bandwith, second they don't want to risk legal disputes over the ownership and the legality of the 3rd party material. Say I upload the content of a "How to make a nuclear bomb in your kitchen" handbook in Arabic and tie it to a mission. BAAAD....
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-30-2012, 07:46 AM
What might work, as KirkFat was suggesting. If there was a home for Mission audio files, Like StarbaseUGC . Authors that made missions with audio files could would just state at the start “This mission has audio files that accompany it. “ and then place written makers in the text, like “Play Audio Track 5”. It is all very low tech but misght work.