Lt. Commander
# 11
01-30-2012, 07:57 AM
Don't get me wrong, it's a great concept, and I hate being negative of a good idea.

It's just I don't see a workable non hassle way for this to pull off short of the player's desire to be immersed and going out of the way to line up another site's video/audio to sync with a mission.

That being said I do not discourage the effort to accomplish this via some creative work around.
Lt. Commander
# 12
01-30-2012, 08:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chooch99 View Post
Don't get me wrong, it's a great concept, and I hate being negative of a good idea.

It's just I don't see a workable non hassle way for this to pull off short of the player's desire to be immersed and going out of the way to line up another site's video/audio to sync with a mission.

That being said I do not discourage the effort to accomplish this via some creative work around.
i know it is a hassle. But play the missions and let me know if the hassle is worth it.
Lt. Commander
# 13
01-30-2012, 08:16 AM
Quote:

Tie in is easy. Make a client app that scans your screen 1/sec and look for some markers. When it spots the marker, it automatically draws the corresponding file from sbUGC and plays it if exists. That is easy and no hassle. The limitation would be to keep the contact screen in the same general screen area and don't resize the UI after the initial setup.

The problem is the marketing really. You can't market in game. So say 15% of the players visit this forum. Maybe 30% of them visits sbUGC. So the 95% of the playerbase will simply not know about this possibility.
Lt. Commander
# 14
01-30-2012, 08:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendra80 View Post
Tie in is easy. Make a client app that scans your screen 1/sec and look for some markers. When it spots the marker, it automatically draws the corresponding file from sbUGC and plays it if exists. That is easy and no hassle.
Oh yeah. why didn't i think of that? Beacuse I am not a frickin genius like you!!!
Lt. Commander
# 15
01-30-2012, 08:51 AM
Hm what about a winamp type plug in through the existing STO media player app? Is this what your referring to?
Lt. Commander
# 16
01-30-2012, 11:18 AM
Quote:
It's a great idea, but it won't happen dude.

Anything that requires an uploaded file to be added to STO is a security/virus risk. They allowed user generated flag designs in Pirates of the Burning sea for a while, but had to stop allowing it for various reasons.
It's a pity how much fun has to be squashed because a handful of people think it's fun to hurt other people.

Still, I think that the best idea would combine chooch99's suggestion of a Winamp plug-in, the notion of putting a "trigger" in the works somewhere, and the suggestion of using a central repository off-site. Cryptic would have to cooperate with it, of course, but events created in the Foundry could include a "Trigger" for an audio file that the Author has uploaded (and the audio library could also include several "stock" sound effects -- phaser fire, pneumatic door opening, teleporter, the Borg "You will be assimilated" speech, etc.) Then a player could install the plug-in if they wanted those effects with Foundry Missions, or skip it otherwise.

On a related note: is it possible in this Foundry to make cutscenes, even without audio? The Project I'm working on could benefit from them, and another I have in mind would definitely make use of at least an optional closing cutscene. I've seen some of the tools in the Editor; I haven't played around with it much, but it looks like we can have two or characters have conversations completely with entrances, exits, and other physical actions, as we watch. All that would really be lacking would be adjustable camera angles.
Lt. Commander
# 17
01-30-2012, 12:00 PM
Quote:
Tie in is easy. Make a client app that scans your screen 1/sec and look for some markers. When it spots the marker, it automatically draws the corresponding file from sbUGC and plays it if exists. That is easy and no hassle. The limitation would be to keep the contact screen in the same general screen area and don't resize the UI after the initial setup.

The problem is the marketing really. You can't market in game. So say 15% of the players visit this forum. Maybe 30% of them visits sbUGC. So the 95% of the playerbase will simply not know about this possibility.
I get what you're saying, but so much of STO already relies on tribal knowledge. After all, how many players even know about community authored content, if they haven't visited the forums?

And, if they've played enough Foundry missions that had "Audio Voice Overs are Available for this Mission," and they're curious, then they'd probably ask someone in zone chat what it means, or they'd find a forum post, leading them to understand how it all works.

Your idea for a program is interesting, but the potential UI complications seem to undermine the auto-play part of it, unless I'm misunderstanding it. How exactly would this program work? Would it scan your screen once per second for a code, when it sees:

"Play Audio File: XDEEWD$"

How would it know where to find the file?

Would it be able to access the files from a folder at sbugc, like http://starbaseugc/VO/XDEEWD$.mp3 ?

I'd have to upload those using an ftp client, but we'd have the space for it, so long as its not on the database where the blog is installed.

I'm very curious about the technicalities.
Lt. Commander
# 18
01-30-2012, 12:03 PM
Quote:
Nice idea, but will not work at the moment. It is just way to much hassle to set it up and operate properly for a casual player. The VO distribution and playback timing could be automatized (with some initial setup and few limitations). The problem is that casual players won't even know this "option" exists in any shape or form in the first place. So it would be just a waste of time.

Adding a link anywhere opens up the possibility of in game marketing. Cryptic is not staffed enough to check each link and determine if that was legit download link or some advertisement page.

Cryptic won't do this upload download trick. First, it eats up their bandwith, second they don't want to risk legal disputes over the ownership and the legality of the 3rd party material. Say I upload the content of a "How to make a nuclear bomb in your kitchen" handbook in Arabic and tie it to a mission. BAAAD....
I still thinks it's a brilliant Idea. Most people play in windowed popout mode. How hard is it to download an mp3, open up vlc and press play once you see a popup and stop once you closed it.

My Post refer to authors creating VO tracks that can be downloaded or played from a 3rd party location. These might also be nice to listen to as audio books on the way home from work. It would be great if someone was to run with this. As I'm sure there are many players who would love to do VO's for missions.
Lt. Commander
# 19
01-30-2012, 12:05 PM
Quote:
Hm what about a winamp type plug in through the existing STO media player app? Is this what your referring to?
Give that man a beer.
Lt. Commander
# 20
01-30-2012, 03:29 PM
Quote:
I like this idea best.

If Cryptic could add something to the music player that when it saw a marker in the text (like [/play_audio_track 5]) it would play track 5 of your current loaded play list.

There must be something like this in the engine already to queue up the audio tracks Cryptic adds to the game.