Lt. Commander
# 21
01-30-2012, 05:45 PM
I made the app and it works like a charm:

http://www.sto-advanced.com/VOA.ZIP

How it works for a mission creator:
If you have a VO for a dialog then add this as the first line: [OOC]III[/OOC]
The app calculates the number of I-s. So the example above will give you a 3.

The app concatenates the number from the first step to the link in the Location parameter and tries to load it.
Say it is http://www.sto-advanced.com/mission1/Track . Then it tries to load this file into WinAmp:
http://www.sto-advanced.com/mission1/Track3.mp3

That is it. Make sure the file is there with a proper name.

For the end user:
You need winamp installed and allowed to get to the web. Also I advise to turn OFF the Repeat toggle.

Bring up a Dialog screen in STO, load the app and click on Start Test. A new form will appear called MagnLens. Move that over the 1st line of your dialog and size it so the box covers the whole area of the 1st line.
You can also cover the whole dialog box or even the whole screen. However the bigger the area, the longer it takes to check and the more CPU time it uses.

If you already have some [OOC]IIIII[/OOC]-s in the dialog then the app will display the number of lines it sees. That is for verification.
Then change the Location line as needed.
You may change the refersh rate as well.

If all set then hit Start VO and enjoy.

The values are automatically saved upon closing the app and loaded upon opening. So if you don't move your dialog screen around then you should only alter the Location from mission to mission.

I have all the files from the Maelstorm uploaded. Altexist, if you mark the dialogs accordingly and set up the box over the 1st dialog line, then it should work.
Lt. Commander
# 22
01-30-2012, 05:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendra80 View Post

The app concatenates the number from the first step to the link in the Location parameter and tries to load it.
Say it is http://www.sto-advanced.com/mission1/Track . Then it tries to load this file into WinAmp:

For the end user:
You need winamp installed and allowed to get to the web. Also I advise to turn OFF the Repeat toggle.

Bring up a Dialog screen in STO, load the app and click on Start Test. A new form will appear called MagnLens. Move that over the 1st line of your dialog and size it so the box covers the whole area of the 1st line.
You can also cover the whole dialog box or even the whole screen. However the bigger the area, the longer it takes to check and the more CPU time it uses.

If you already have some [OOC]IIIII[/OOC]-s in the dialog then the app will display the number of lines it sees. That is for verification.

The values are automatically saved upon closing the app and loaded upon opening. So if you don't move your dialog screen around then you should only alter the Location from mission to mission.

I have all the files from the Maelstorm uploaded. Altexist, if you mark the dialogs accordingly and set up the box over the 1st dialog line, then it should work.
OMG !!!!! I have said this before, CRYPTIC HIRE THIS MAN!!!!!!!

do the "||||" need to be at the very start of the dialog box?

give be a bit and i will add them tonight.
Lt. Commander
# 23
01-30-2012, 06:26 PM
The first line looked logical. It is easy to explain, you always see it and doesn't really break up the text itself. The lines should work regardless of resolution and UI size.

Also there is one more funny thing you may use this for. The app can remember the dialogs and the order of them through the mission. So you may unlock extra audible information or whatever if you complete optional triggers or hit dialogs in a correct order. Since this works outside the mission it can save variables persistently.
So if you complete an optional task at the first map, like save a freighter, the VO debriefing may have an extra line added like: "Oh Captain, I got news that you helped out the Liner XYZ, great work!"
Lt. Commander
# 24
01-30-2012, 06:33 PM
So the player needs to change the location of the app each time that they play a mission with VOs?

We can't have like a large central place for the app to find different files to different missions, because there can only be a III per mission?

Is that right?
Lt. Commander
# 25
01-30-2012, 06:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkfat View Post
So the player needs to change the location of the app each time that they play a mission with VOs?

We can't have like a large central place for the app to find different files to different missions, because there can only be a III per mission?

Is that right?
There is only soo much information you can store in a bunch of strokes. You can have as many different text files for a mission as many stroke you can display in a singe line.
The problem with text info is that different UI sizes can mess up the recognition completely. It would also cost much more CPU time.

Now that I think of it, I can use the mission critical text color, too. Those would be 10s maybe. So 3 yellow and 6 green would be 36. If you find any character that can be recognized easily at any UI size then it would be good, too.

You may add a 2nd line, too.
The 1st line may be the VO file, a 2nd line may be the folder on the server.
So this:
IIIII
IIIIIIIII
Could load www.starbaseugc.com/vos/mission9/track3.mp3
Lt. Commander
# 26
01-30-2012, 07:11 PM
Quote:
There is only soo much information you can store in a bunch of strokes. You can have as many different text files for a mission as many stroke you can display in a singe line.
The problem with text info is that different UI sizes can mess up the recognition completely. It would also cost much more CPU time.

Now that I think of it, I can use the mission critical text color, too. Those would be 10s maybe. So 3 yellow and 6 green would be 36. If you find any character that can be recognized easily at any UI size then it would be good, too.

You may add a 2nd line, too.
The 1st line may be the VO file, a 2nd line may be the folder on the server.
So this:
IIIII
IIIIIIIII
Could load www.starbaseugc.com/vos/mission9/track3.mp3
Hmm... I guess I can see how it would be easiest to have a separate folder for each mission, because authors might get confused if they have to have multiple lines of strokes, especially if they are color coated.

Is there a way that the tool could ask the player to enter the mission number (as advertised by the author in the "Voice Overs for this Mission are Available.... Mission #24." Then, after telling the tool mission #__, then the tool would know exactly where to find the VOs, as opposed to making sure that the player knows the more lengthy url to the folder?
Lt. Commander
# 27
01-30-2012, 07:28 PM
Pendra,

I just added tick marks to my mission Maelstrom. it is sorta working , but seems to need a little fine tuning. take a look if you can. it will play audio tracks but not alway the right ones.
Lt. Commander
# 28
01-30-2012, 08:33 PM
Quote:

For the end user:

Thanks a hell of allot. Not only do new authors now have to compete with great experienced foundry authors, they now have to learn how to make audio VO's for there mission. :p

So thanks! No I mean it your brilliant. Thanks allot
Lt. Commander
# 29
01-31-2012, 04:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altexist View Post
Pendra,

I just added tick marks to my mission Maelstrom. it is sorta working , but seems to need a little fine tuning. take a look if you can. it will play audio tracks but not alway the right ones.
I will test run it tonight.

In the meantime, I've been thinking to add binary marking. On 20 characters, you could code 4096 folders with 256 clips each. Problem is regular humans don't read and write binary so the app would need to convert the data for them.

To this end, I would add 3 more editboxes. In the 1st, you write the folder (like A12), in the 2nd the clip number (eg 18). The third editbox gives you this:
A12-18 [OOC]I'I''''I''I''''I''I'[/OOC]
You can then copy and paste this to the dialog.

This can hold more data, but may be harder to understand and use for the writer.

On the positive side, the end user would not need to alter the Location from mission to mission. He/she could just set up the app once and be done with it.

BTW this can be used to play dramatic/ambient music, too. Not just VO. So the player enters a bar and it triggers a simple BOFF dialog like "What a filthy establishment!". It would have a marking that loads up some 5-10 mins cantina music or maybe background chatter. And when you beam up, or leave the area, you would trigger a dialog that clears the music with a blank sound file.
Lt. Commander
# 30
01-31-2012, 09:50 AM
I am pushing to get the cut scene tool added into the Foundry at some point but you will not be able to add your own sounds (although can add in any sound already in the game). The reason is simply Cryptic not having control over what is played to prevent any copyright infringements or other issues from occurring. Copyright infringement is a serious matter and could cause the Foundry to be removed if we didn't take steps in preventing abuse. I know you guys understand - but I am just making a point.