Lt. Commander
# 1 Federation Privateers?
01-31-2012, 07:04 AM
Nausicaans Are Privateers in a sense to the Kligons, But would Federation actaully begin to do the privateer thing or wait til the war go worse?
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-31-2012, 09:58 AM
I'm not sure...

It sort of depends on your perspective of the Federation I think. If they did, I don't think they would be privateers in the classic sense of what amounts to 'licensed piracy'. I can sort of picture them recruiting fringe assistance from merchants or Fedetation-friendly organisations in the sense of a militia, but it's something they would probably want to be heavily monitored (whether that's something that's achievable is probably up to debate).

It's probably something that would, if not contradict, then at least go against the grain of the Federation ethos. They don't strike me as the kind of organisation that would be comfortable allowing potential abuses or war-crimes by people who are not accountable, or in asking people outside of the Federation (or starfleet) to fight and die for them.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-31-2012, 03:36 PM
I always figured the Klingons taking on the Nausicaans (along with the Orions) was due a shortage of manpower due to their losses in the wars with the Dominion and the Gorn, and they still need them with their losses mounting in their war against the Federation, Romulans, Borg, and Undine (just about everyone, really). So I think the Klingons, by neccessity, would tolerate privateers and pirates. The Federation... I can't really see it.

Then again, if Cryptic decides to add an independent faction...
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-31-2012, 03:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archanubis
I always figured the Klingons taking on the Nausicaans (along with the Orions) was due a shortage of manpower due to their losses in the wars with the Dominion and the Gorn, and they still need them with their losses mounting in their war against the Federation, Romulans, Borg, and Undine (just about everyone, really). So I think the Klingons, by necessity, would tolerate privateers and pirates. The Federation... I can't really see it.

Then again, if Cryptic decides to add an independent faction...
Yes as the Euro Nations did in the Caribbean to save deploying resources beyond their needs for home Napoleonic era defence i n later phases as SPains grasp weakened
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-31-2012, 05:31 PM
I always assumed that's what the Klingons would end up being. Let's face it, it is going to be difficult to integrate a warrior race into Starfleet. However, hiring them to be the "guns" of the Federation kills two birds with one stone. It allows the Klingons to do what they were born to do while allowing those races that would prefer not to be involved in combat to remain out of it.

The Klingons get the political and economic stability it needs and the Federation gets an endless supply of troops.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-31-2012, 11:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by decoytactics
It's probably something that would, if not contradict, then at least go against the grain of the Federation ethos. .
Methinks that's the crux. Privateering would be frowned upon by those at the heart of The Federation. Personally I wouldn't like to see it happen in the game no matter what the story arc. There have been rogue Federation captains but as a whole ethos thing, The Feds wouldn't have it.

It'd be interesting to be able to play a race for hire though..... add an elite-esque hue to the game.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-01-2012, 12:14 AM
Well there's been several mentions of civilian freighters in the shows, IIRC Sisko's girlfriend was captain of one. I wouldn't be suprised if those ships had armaments for self defense. It definately would make sense for them to run supplies during the war. However I don't see them being major combatants since they are after all civilian ships, not warships.