Lt. Commander
# 1 Q about Impulse Engines.
01-27-2012, 08:01 PM
I'm upgrading my ship for Commander, and I don't understand about Impulse engines.

On the Dilithium Ship Equipment vendor, he has Impulse Engines for every rank (of course.) I currently have Hyper-Impulse Engines Mk IV [Spd]x2. I want to upgrade to Hyper-Impulse Engines Mk VI [Spd]x2, however they have the SAME EXACT STATS? What is the point in upgrading them?
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-27-2012, 08:26 PM
When you compare an item in a store, your inventory, or your bank to one you have currently equipped on your ship or a character, the equipped item will have bonuses from any applicable skills calculated into its displayed stats. You'd have to actually take your impulse engine off of your ship to get an accurate comparison of their base stat values.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-27-2012, 08:51 PM
Don't buy engines, replay Past Imperfect and get the Efficient Impulse for your tier. It's a great engine all-around for PVE.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-27-2012, 08:56 PM
The only difference you're going to see in same-type engines with the same bonuses is top speed. Turn rate is established by your ship, and then modified if you use engines with [Turn] on them. So when you look at Hyper Impulse Engines Mk IV [Spd]x2 and Hyper Impulse Engines Mk VI [Spd]x2, the turn rate on them would be exactly the same, but there should be a difference in top speed and full impulse speed.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-27-2012, 10:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramp4ge View Post
Don't buy engines, replay Past Imperfect and get the Efficient Impulse for your tier. It's a great engine all-around for PVE.
I have no idea what this means.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-27-2012, 11:01 PM
There's a mission in the Klingon episode arc called Past Imperfect that you can replay as many times as you want. Playing the mission over again will grant you the item of your appropriate Mk.

So if you're outfitting a Commander-level ship, and you play Past Imperfect twice, you can get:

Efficient Impulse Engines Mk VI
Paratrinic Shield Array Mk VI

Probably the best PVE shield/engine combo in the game.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-28-2012, 09:43 AM
Quote:
There's a mission in the Klingon episode arc called Past Imperfect that you can replay as many times as you want. Playing the mission over again will grant you the item of your appropriate Mk.

So if you're outfitting a Commander-level ship, and you play Past Imperfect twice, you can get:

Ah, I'm just now doing "The Ultimate Klingon." So I'll make sure to repeat that one a few times when I get to it.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-01-2012, 06:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinobiDragoon View Post
The only difference you're going to see in same-type engines with the same bonuses is top speed. Turn rate is established by your ship, and then modified if you use engines with [Turn] on them. So when you look at Hyper Impulse Engines Mk IV [Spd]x2 and Hyper Impulse Engines Mk VI [Spd]x2, the turn rate on them would be exactly the same, but there should be a difference in top speed and full impulse speed.
If there is difference in any of the stats, the vendor info windows don't show it. I'm looking at Combat Impulse Engines with [Spd][Turn] and the vendor window shows the sames stats for the Mk X as the Mk IV. In fact, if you compare all the engines at each rank, they all give the same stats for the same type.

Quote:

But once you get that engine, are you basically set for the rest of the game? Why even have more expensive engines at each rank if they don't do anything?