Lt. Commander
This is the most frustrating thing (well, one of the most). What is the point of having more than one ship when every time you switch ships, the entire hotbar is totally in disarray? Is it that hard to make these separate for each ship? It takes about 30 minutes to change my layout each time. Has someone found a work-around for this? Any files we can alter in the game's folder?
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-29-2012, 07:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TE5LA View Post
Has someone found a work-around for this?
No.
Quote:
Any files we can alter in the game's folder?
No. (modifying client files, or even discussing such a mod if one existed, would be a violation of the Terms of Service.)
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-29-2012, 07:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PodSix
No.

No. (modifying client files, or even discussing such a mod if one existed, would be a violation of the Terms of Service.)
I don't think altering a file in such a way that has no effect on the actual game would violate anything. If it does, it is a bad reflection on the developers.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-29-2012, 08:44 PM
Quote:
I don't think altering a file in such a way that has no effect on the actual game would violate anything. If it does, it is a bad reflection on the developers.
  1. http://forums.startrekonline.com/ann...t.php?f=20&a=8
  2. http://www.startrekonline.com/legal_terms
  3. http://www.perfectworld.com/about/terms
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-29-2012, 09:15 PM
What's worse is being in a 'scramble' situation launching your other ship immediately for a time-sensitive task, not having the time to reconfigure properly and reprogramming the entire 'console' en route, or even more epic, in battle.

You need the reflexes of Japanese anime heros to manage that while phasers are searing and quantum torpedoes are detonating everywhere

Gundam 00 has an episode with this 'reprogramming amid combat situation' scenario. Hilarious.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-29-2012, 11:21 PM
No denying it's against ToS.

Realistically, though, if all that is altered is the user interface and not the communication with the client, there's no way that the change would be perceptible to either other players or PW.

I'm new to this game - played WoW for a while. WoW, like STO, has a terrible base UI, but one of WoW's enduring strengths (even when so much else is wrong with that game) is that the UI is customizable, which lets players improve the "drawing-board" UI in light of their experience and better understanding of what works in actual gameplay.

Auctionator is a really good example of this. STO's auction interface - like WoW's - is pretty bad, but unlike WoW, it's not moddable. The limitations of the auction UI create major obstacles to free market forces, because the participants cannot easily participate in an informed and time-efficient manner.

STO used to be sub-based; the management changed their mind and now it's F2P. Perhaps the management will wisen up and allow players to mod the UI.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-30-2012, 07:37 PM
As I said, nothing in these links forbids the mentioning or even the actions of what I propose. This has nothing to do with reverse-engineering, hacking, or any other of those fancy terms. If I can figure out how to do it, I will.

The game is poorly programmed. This is evident by the hundreds of bugs even long after its introduction. As I have mentioned before, the fact that the most obvious things like the ship's pitch controls being backwards and has never been corrected is evidence of this. These control templates should have been made separate from Day 1. Has anyone ever played another MMO which had different characters and found each not to use its own hotbar setup? Not to mention having to reset all your key bindings when creating a new character; these should be a global set. So we have a global set of key mappings when it should be separate and a separate mapping when it should be global. Does this make sense? And these things are so easy to change. The pitch controls error would take 30 seconds, tops.

Why would anyone buy a ship slot when it's so difficult to switch between them and you get two slots per rank anyway? It would seem to me that by fixing this obviously hated condition, that the incentive to have more ships would be greater.

How about the fact that buttons continuously popup in one area of the screen then suddenly disappear and popup completely on the opposite side, causing you to click the wrong button because where you wanted to click has been replaced by a different option?

How about the mission log that gives you no indication of where to go in a mission, so after a long time of frustration, you notice the tracker on the right gives you the hint? But in other missions, the tracker tells you nothing and you have to search the mission log.

How about item stats that display incorrectly on your ship while docked so you have to go into space to check them?

How about the fact that items in the store are misrepresented about their true stats, which you don't find out until you buy them?

I could go on and on, but my point is, I'd like to keep playing the game but it gets harder and harder with each bug I find. It might lessen the frustration a bit if some of these simple issues would be addressed. I know they had limitations with the game engine and had to put the silly movement limitation on the ships, but these other things are not engine limitations. They are just plain and simple programming errors.

I now yield the soap box...
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-30-2012, 07:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aestu
No denying it's against ToS.
Quote the specific part where it's against the ToS.
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-30-2012, 11:56 PM
9. License
(d) modifying, adapting, altering, enhancing, or otherwise making any derivative uses of any Games, game content or other Proprietary Materials, or any portion thereof
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-31-2012, 06:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aestu
9. License
(d) modifying, adapting, altering, enhancing, or otherwise making any derivative uses of any Games, game content or other Proprietary Materials, or any portion thereof
"derivative uses"

There would be no money-making in this and it's not modifying code in any manner that gives anyone an advantage in game play.