Lt. Commander
# 11
01-31-2012, 08:05 AM
Forget changing ships, try changing characters without completely closing the game. Also, for some reason, my ship hotbar will randomly change from mission to mission without logging out or doing anything. I went into a fight with the Breen last night and my hotbar was completely rearranged. Attack Pattern Omega III? Nope. That button is now Abandon Ship...
Lt. Commander
# 12
01-31-2012, 02:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TE5LA View Post
"derivative uses"

There would be no money-making in this and it's not modifying code in any manner that gives anyone an advantage in game play.
That's not what derivative uses means.

Doesn't matter if it's money making or giving anyone an unfair advantage. Strictly speaking, if you modify game files in any way, for any reason, you are violating the TOS. I don't know if it's actually happened but I have heard people have been banned from the forums for posting screenshots which happened to show some "customization" people did to their UI/layouts by modifying game files.
Lt. Commander
# 13
01-31-2012, 04:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormnnorm
That's not what derivative uses means.
In the context used, "derivative" seems to imply making money and that is one definition of the word.

Regardless, any thinking person or company would realize that such a thing has no detrimental effect on the product. I am just posting these things in order to try and get a better game. Cryptic and Perfect World may do as they wish and not change a single thing but this game is on a steep slope downhill and will crash in its standard state. I've played a lot of closed betas that had fewer bugs than this game, already passing its second year since release. Many of the things I talk about are so simple that they could be corrected in minutes, but nobody seems to care. I never see anything here from the actual developers. Do they even care what people think? I'm beginning to think "No". All I get as responses to my queries is from players who steadfastly defend the game's errors, as in the reversed pitch controls, telling me I can "fix" it by entering my control keys backwards.

I will likely continue to play, at least for a little while, until I get so bored with it. Aside from the annoying bugs, the entire system need an overhaul. I'd suggest it be fixed and wiping of all the data. The entire leveling structure is hideous and the ranking as well. "Rear Admiral Lower"? Leveling is far too quick in the game. This means that you don't have a chance to become attached to a ship because you'll get a new free one in another four hours or so. So just delete your old one because it's too damn hard to switch between them. And having an Ensign for one level and switching to Lieutenant? It's silly. I would have made the first rank as "Pilot" and able to operate only fighter craft, but let us fly in combat situations faster than what feels like 20 mph. Make it so some skill is required to hit the enemy and be able to actually dodge fire. After spending ten levels as pilot, then you go into larger ships, and so on, but not advancing an entire level after each mission. This I did up to about level 24, after which it took two missions to level. I hate MMO grinds, but this is just too fast. I think it'd be great if someone made a spaceship game where tactical combat required you to aim weapons via a 3rd person reticule, much like in World of Tanks. Can I mention that here or is that against the ToS as well?

Anyway, nice chatting with you. Game on!
Lt. Commander
# 14
01-31-2012, 11:05 PM
I also hate the period of adjustment between switching ships.
I lost some skills I liked, no idea how to get them back. They dont show up in the master list

It should automatically put the same officers in the same stations, and the same skills in the same spots
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-01-2012, 05:40 AM
The Sheliak wrote the terms of service - I happen to know that the word they would use in that context to mean "for money" is "consideration". "Derivative" simply means "taking the software and changing it into something other than its original form".

I completely agree with you that it's a stupid, self-defeating and largely unenforceable policy that should be changed. But the policy most definitely is what it is, for profit or no.
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-01-2012, 12:05 PM
lock the hotkey bar before switching ships?
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-01-2012, 04:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinru821 View Post
My hotbar is always locked. That doesn't do anything to prevent it.

The worst thing is that not only does it change, but it defaults to the most insane of settings. When I switched to my Vulcan shuttle which has only two fore weapons, it put the weapons on keys 3 and 6. It doesn't even attempt a logical layout.
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-02-2012, 12:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinru821 View Post
That just prevents accidental clicking and dragging.
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-02-2012, 08:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TE5LA View Post
[snip]
Anyway, nice chatting with you. Game on!
I don't disagree with what you say, just stating that this is what their policy is, for better or worse, and you put yourself at risk by intentionally breaking it- whether it ends up harming others or not. The ToS clearly states that modding of any kind is strictly prohibited, and in the past devs and forum mods have not been kind to those who let it slip that they have modded their game files.
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-03-2012, 07:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormnnorm
I don't disagree with what you say, just stating that this is what their policy is, for better or worse, and you put yourself at risk by intentionally breaking it- whether it ends up harming others or not. The ToS clearly states that modding of any kind is strictly prohibited, and in the past devs and forum mods have not been kind to those who let it slip that they have modded their game files.
Well actually, I am thinking more along the lines of saving some file and switching it outside the game in order to save the settings, which is not modifying files in any way.