Lt. Commander
# 1 Kar'Fi Advice
01-10-2012, 01:57 AM
Hail Fellow Warriors!

I'm currently using a retrofit BOP but after having seen some goliath Kar'Fi's in the STFs I was wondering what using that ship is like? Is it worth purchasing? Can consoles, etc make it more manueverable and not a "space-cow"?

Would really appreciate some advice.

Many Thanks.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-10-2012, 09:10 PM
I use the Kar'Fi sometimes, and yes, it's a freekin' boat (The USS Kitty Hawk, the aircraft carrier I did my Navy time on turned better). RCS Accelerators can help with turning, although your best bet is to find a good fighter wing arrangment that works for you (I use 1 S'kul, and 1 Fer'Jai), and just sit at the edge of weapons range and fire while your fighters do the work. If the enemy gets up close and personal, your shields take a heavy beating.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-10-2012, 10:02 PM
I have been flying the Kar-Fi since it first came out. I love it. It is a hard ship to find an effective build for. Correctly built, it is the ultimate DPS cruiser. Don't use cannons, I've tried every possible weapon combo on it, & i've found a build that rocks, & I do pretty well with it.

My build
This build hits HARD.
I use this build with both my Tac & my Sci . I have a second Cmdr Sci Boff with PSW1 instead of TSS3 which i use when i have a good healer on my team. The consoles that boost Grav well also boost PSW
The only P2W consoles you can currently fit it with are the Phase shift one it comes with, & the cruiser one that pushes. ( sorry, i can't think of the name ATM).
IMHO, you're far better off using neither of them.
The Phase shift makes you untargetable for a few seconds, the length depending on your aux strength when its initiated, & leaves your aux at zero when it stops. I'd rather use another console to boost my GW3.

For STF's i use the S'kul fighters instead of the tachyon drones & frigate.
If you don't have access to the Tachyon drones, use a second frigate for PVP or PVE.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-10-2012, 10:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by amidoinitright View Post
I have been flying the Kar-Fi since it first came out. I love it. It is a hard ship to find an effective build for. Correctly built, it is the ultimate DPS cruiser. Don't use cannons, I've tried every possible weapon combo on it, & i've found a build that rocks, & I do pretty well with it.

My build
This build hits HARD.
I use this build with both my Tac & my Sci . I have a second Cmdr Sci Boff with PSW1 instead of TSS3 which i use when i have a good healer on my team. The consoles that boost Grav well also boost PSW
The only P2W consoles you can currently fit it with are the Phase shift one it comes with, & the cruiser one that pushes. ( sorry, i can't think of the name ATM).
IMHO, you're far better off using neither of them.
The Phase shift makes you untargetable for a few seconds, depending on your aux strength when its initiated, & leaves your aux at zero when it stops. I'd rather use another console to boost my GW3.

For STF's i use the S'kul fighters instead of the tachyon drones & frigate.
If you don't have access to the Tachyon drones, use a second frigate for PVP or PVE.
I assume that the Tact Consoles you have are beam boosters? And the Science consoles are what, Particle generators, I believe? The Engineering consoles, I recognize one as a hull armor, what's the other one, Shield regen?
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-11-2012, 12:04 AM
the tac consoles are AP mag regulators for my beams, the sci are particle generators & the borg console, the engi are the 35% shield boost & the 18% resistance against everything armor.
for doffs i run a projectile weapons officer, a maintenance engineer, shield distribution, deflector officer & gravimetric scientist.
For STF's i switch my armor for the one that gives a 35% damage resistance against plasma.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-11-2012, 12:06 AM
Let me start of by showing you this: My Kar'Fi going Borg Hunting

The Kar'Fi will never be anywhere NEAR as turnable as a BoP but it does not NEED to be. Between the science skills and your Frigates of Doom you do not need to stay focused on a foe. If you need to slow them down just Gravity Well or Tractor Beam them. This carrier does turn a lot better than the Vo'Quv and is rather vicious with either beams or single cannons and turrets. It can deal some significant damage and keep itself all but immune to retaliation.

Also if you use the Frigates they hit the enemy with Aceton Beam making incoming fire from them weak and burning their hull and they poop out Tricobalt Mines which is just vicious beyond belief.

A BoP is nimble, stealthy, and hit-and-run. The Kar'Fi experience is totally different. It is Big, Ominous, Terrifying, Slow, Tanky, and very Stay and Annihilate. I have to say it FEELS great flying one. You feel like such a Bad A** when you sweep into an engagement with one of these things. You get a certain air of invincibility and dominance when you come with one of these. You just KNOW your enemies fear you and your allies rejoice at seeing the power you are bringing to the field.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-11-2012, 12:25 AM
with only 2 engi consoles & a lt Engineer boff, this ship HAS to shield tank. it doesn't hull tank. In PVP this ship is very susceptible to subnukes !
I recommend that you carry a Sci team to help you recover from them. When fighting Borg with the shield neutralizers, a hazard emitter is essential.
Fly this ship like it's a beamscort , & you'll do just fine.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-11-2012, 03:29 AM
Quote:
with only 2 engi consoles & a lt Engineer boff, this ship HAS to shield tank. it doesn't hull tank. In PVP this ship is very susceptible to subnukes !
I recommend that you carry a Sci team to help you recover from them. When fighting Borg with the shield neutralizers, a hazard emitter is essential.
Fly this ship like it's a beamscort , & you'll do just fine.
It does indeed Shield Tank more than Hull Tank though with a few specific toys and its own personal console it can even Hull Tank for a bit. I would agree in PvP though Sub Nuke is your worst enemy... Not that this is soooo different from practically any other ship if you really think about it. However, its personal console prevents it from even being targetable. It is great to use the console in combination with SS on Sci Captains and get them to Sub Nuke your Frigates or their own Friends if you are lucky. I would also highly recommend being either a Science Captain or a Tactical Captain for this beast because while an Engineer CAN keep it alive longer it does not usually need the help that much.
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-11-2012, 07:38 AM
Thanks everyone for the great advice. The temptation proved too much and I got one but swiftly removed the console it came equiped with - didn't see the upside of the ship being a floating target for 10 seconds. But am in geek overdrive with how awesome this ship looks and handles, especially with the retro Borg set. For some reason the Kar'Fi reminds me of a spinefish with those redundant struts towards the front. Utterly cool.

Quote:

My build
This build hits HARD.
WHOA! Just tried that build and resulted in some utterly sweet Borg pwnage. Uber-DPS, thank you SO much. I've been looking for a build like this for a while now. Serious kudos for finding it.

QAPLA!
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-11-2012, 10:51 AM
Note that while the Phase Shift console is activated you still can fire beams and cannons, just not projectiles or launch additional fighter wings.