Lt. Commander
# 11
01-30-2012, 07:30 PM
I understand what he is saying.. As the cannon fire travels toward the target if the target turns before it gets there the cannon fire turns to match the targets direction. kind of like homing cannon fire.

Yes they should not follow the target but if they did that in STO cannons would be totaly useless as you could dodge the hell out of inc fire.
Lt. Commander
# 12
01-30-2012, 08:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rarehero View Post
I think not. Extensively tried it yesterday and most of the time the fore or the aft cannons were silent.
Since when can you mount cannons aft?

But, I have a few ships with cannons fore and arrays aft. True, you don't have a 70 degree broadside now, but in an Excelsior refit or other more maneuverable cruiser (or even Sci ship), you have a nice 35 degree broadside that does more damage. And, if you run BFAW1 and CRF1 (or CSV1), you get some pretty decent damage outlay.
Lt. Commander
# 13
01-31-2012, 05:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fajo2u
I understand what he is saying.. As the cannon fire travels toward the target if the target turns before it gets there the cannon fire turns to match the targets direction. kind of like homing cannon fire.

Yes they should not follow the target but if they did that in STO cannons would be totaly useless as you could dodge the hell out of inc fire.
Well that is how it should be in the game and to me that seems fair as cannons have the highest dps compared to other weapons in game.
Lt. Commander
# 14
01-31-2012, 07:02 AM
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fajo2u

Well that is how it should be in the game and to me that seems fair as cannons have the highest dps compared to other weapons in game.
Apart from the fact I think my cannons miss too much at the moment, (I have the accurate 10% trait and usually use accx2 and still miss cruisers quite a bit sometimes which are essentially flying towns) if players could add a debuff to my accuracy by weaving about a bit I would probably never hit anything.
Lt. Commander
# 15
01-31-2012, 07:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Branth View Post
Apart from the fact I think my cannons miss too much at the moment, (I have the accurate 10% trait and usually use accx2 and still miss cruisers quite a bit sometimes which are essentially flying towns) if players could add a debuff to my accuracy by weaving about a bit I would probably never hit anything.
really, well just now finished a pvp match most of the imponants were using cannons, i did evasive manuvers and the cannon fire was fellowing me like a torpedo even though i was 20 km area. They sereiously need fixing.
Lt. Commander
# 16
01-31-2012, 03:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destinii
Since when can you mount cannons aft?

But, I have a few ships with cannons fore and arrays aft. True, you don't have a 70 degree broadside now, but in an Excelsior refit or other more maneuverable cruiser (or even Sci ship), you have a nice 35 degree broadside that does more damage. And, if you run BFAW1 and CRF1 (or CSV1), you get some pretty decent damage outlay.
He probably meant to say turrets (which ARE cannons).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roach View Post
Having cannons with the 180 firing arc fore and aft does make one think they should be able to broadside as well......

The question is will it broadside effectively since cannons lack that 70 degree overlap that beam arrays have?
And Roach -- that's how you "overlap" and broadside with 'em. 180 for the single cannons and 360 for the turrets.
Lt. Commander
# 17
01-31-2012, 05:47 PM
Trying to please everyone is a bit of a silly point. I don't agree on the cannon point, but meh.

My cannons don't miss as much, but then, they're ACCx3 weapons, not ACCx1.

I also have max points in my accuracy.

To each their own I suppose... but, you're incorrect on the weapon mechanic.
Lt. Commander
# 18
01-31-2012, 05:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAJ_2011
Cannons are not projectale weapons they are energy based like beams. Torpedos are supposed to be guided. Torpedos are fine but cannons are not.
did you even finish reading my whole reply? did you miss the part inside the "()"?
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-01-2012, 02:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protector View Post
He probably meant to say turrets (which ARE cannons).
I dunno. If you reread his post he mentions 'most of the time the fore or the aft cannons were silent'. Turrets have a 360 degree arc of fire. They'd *never* be silent since they're *always* in arc.
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-01-2012, 02:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakaishin
Directional movement is irrelevant in the weapon hitting you. It is a math equation, nothing more.

Because Cryptic added visual effect for the miss, it is not suddenly affected by where you are firing versus where your target is moving.

It is still nothing more than your accuracy versus your enemy's evasion with a modifier for SPEED, not TRAJECTORY.

You could be flying toward me head-on, my weapons will have an equal chance of hitting you as if you were doing a horizontal strafe run.

Your "maneuvers" also do not affect these chances. Your random turns mean nothing. Again, only a mathematical equation comparing accuracy to evasion with speed modifier.

I apologize, but this is often misconstrued. You are incorrect.

I have played with coding for sci fi space combat games before and indeed, a percentage to hit based weapons modelling will inevitably have a situation where the outgoing shot curves to intercept a target.

It's a game limitation usually in real time strategy games where 3D movement is modelled and action is fast paced... but the projectile speed is very slow compared to the rate of the target's motion.

STO's type of game will probably never see a true ballistics type weapons model for projectiles, for practicality reasons. Need a much much bigger game world with likewise increased weapons ranges.... such as Bridge Commander.

That said I have interestingly noticed that some high angle torpedo shots in STO do automatically miss due to the extreme angles involved or the target moved out of the way fast enough that the game says "sorry, impossible to intercept = auto miss". This situation usually happens if both combatants are maneuvering at a high rate of speed, the range to target is short, the torpedo is fired within its effective arc, but the game seems to be aware of the extreme condition and auto-misses the shot.

So the cannon thing is just... a game design thing that's inevitable with how STO is set up. Unless someone changed the cannon to fire straight and deal damage to whatever the projectile hit which will require manual flying.

Which could result in awesome DS9 style Defiant battle scenes.