Lt. Commander
# 1 People who hate "Enterprise"
01-30-2012, 05:29 PM
I have a serious question to people who consider themselves Star Trek fans and dislike (or even hate) Enterprise. Why? I find this baffling. I just completed my 5th time through the series in the past 2-3 years (I watch TV while I'm working) and I think it's a great series. A few of the characters are a little dry but nothing crazy. I would really like to know why some people don't find it entertaining of say it's "NOT Star Trek".
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-30-2012, 05:37 PM
I only really disliked a couple things about it:
  1. The first season when it was just called "Enterprise", only later being renamed "Star Trek: Enterprise". This is a great franchise and I hate to see a network censor a title because it's ashamed of its fanbase.
  2. I didn't like the long storyline going. I've always though of Trek as having independent episodes. Whenever they said "Last time on Enterprise..." it felt wrong.
  3. They stopped making the show right as it finally got back to the episodic nature that I missed! >_<
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-30-2012, 05:38 PM
I find that different 'generations' of Trek are vastly dissimilar from each other. It's quite understandable that everyone has their own preferences on what is 'proper' Star Trek.

For me I try not to hate anything but try and see how times and people have changed over the years due to real world developments. Life is short enough that I shouldn't have to bother making protests over what goes into shows that I have absolutely no influence in.

Those who are financing and directing the films can more or less come up with whatever excuse to make whatever they wish to, to draw in maximum profit from existing and new Trek fans. Very Ferengi.
Lt. Commander
# 4 i like it
01-30-2012, 05:47 PM
hey im not afarid to say i liked it..

the temp cold war was dragged out alot and did put me off for awhile

but i recently given all 4 season on dvd and am loving going back and watching it

season 4 was my fav.. the 2-3 epiosd earcs i really loved

overall Enterprise was good, but i will always call ds9 my home, except when im off on voyager

archer,trip and t'pol got most of the episodes, it would have been nice to see a few more focus on others

but Doc phlox is the man! also travis was way under utilized

also there was a distinct lack of red shirts.. i.e one episode wonder guys that get killed
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-30-2012, 05:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hort_wort View Post
I only really disliked a couple things about it:
  1. The first season when it was just called "Enterprise", only later being renamed "Star Trek: Enterprise". This is a great franchise and I hate to see a network censor a title because it's ashamed of its fanbase.
  2. I didn't like the long storyline going. I've always though of Trek as having independent episodes. Whenever they said "Last time on Enterprise..." it felt wrong.
  3. They stopped making the show right as it finally got back to the episodic nature that I missed! >_<
Ah, see it's funny, although I absolutely love TNG, DS9 and VOY, I enjoyed the long story arcs (Season 3 Xindi arc was my fave) and felt that it was something missing from earlier series. TNG and DS9 I believe were made for first run syndication so it made sense for all the episodes to be watchable independent of each other.

I'm pretty bummed this only ran 4 seasons. Could have easily had another 3.

And why isn't it out on bluray yet?! lol
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-30-2012, 05:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknownps View Post
hey im not afarid to say i liked it..

but i recently given all 4 season on dvd and am loving going back and watching it

season 4 was my fav.. the 2-3 epiosd earcs i really loved
You should watch them on netflix if you have it. They stream in HD, better quality than the DVD.

Also I did enjoy the 2-3 episode arcs although it somehow made the season seem significantly shorter since the multiple parts all ran together.
Lt. Commander
# 7 I Loved It
01-30-2012, 06:29 PM
Only thing I didn't like:

A.) It was on the now dead for good reasons UPN
B.) Some arcs were too long
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-30-2012, 06:37 PM
In the beginning i was a true ENT hater.

here are the reasons:

Prequel: they made a prequel for the sake of making a prequel. Because that was just the latest TREND in Hollywood, everybody did Prequels, so Trek had to do the same thing.

Fine with me so far. After Star Wars EP1 i wasn't the biggest fan of prequels any longer but i gave them a chance.

Season 1 - 2 ... i hated because there was NOTHING, that justified this series being a prequel.
The Temporal Cold war would have worked just as well in a TNG setting,
a FERENGI episode?
a BORG episode?
was that really needed?
I did not like T'Pol and the Vulcans behavior in general, too hostile, too arrogant.
In the end that actually played out in a rather good Episode, but i can understand that this felt wrong for a long time for a lot of People.

In the end, the big question was, WHY make this a PRE-KIRK show, there was little to nothing that justified this in the first 2 Seasons.

Season 3:

This Season was pure TORTURE while it aired on TV.
i LIKE *to be continued shows*, LOST, 24, Prison Break, even BSG showed how to do this more or less right.

So Season 3, One or Two episodes as INTRO for the tone of the Season. OK.
Then 20 or so episodes of FILLER with tiny bits of *xindi plot* in it.
It made me go NUTS. I finally wanted to see what they have, every week i was waiting for the next Episode only for it to be another FILLER.
In the last... what 5 episodes? the Xindi plot was finished as fast as possible... good episodes finally... but too little too late.

In retrospect, this is EXACTLY what they did in DS9 with the Dominion War.
Only that DS9 was years ago, for DS9 this kind of storytelling was something NEW and AWESOME.
There was nothing on TV to compare it too (Babylon 5 at best ;P ).

But ENT S3 felt wrong, it felt OLD... and it felt like TORTURE watching it.

On DVD, it's fine, i can watch the episodes back to back, i don't have to wait MONTHS to see the conclusion, also i KNOW how it ends, so i can actually enjoy those *filler episodes* for what they are.

Season 4 made EVERYTHING right imho.

The 45 minute episodes are something that just doesn't work any longer for me.
Not after 24 and LOST and all the others...

But... it is painful to stretch one story over a whole Season too, and i HATE "too be continued" in the middle of it.

Season 4 did it right with the 3 Episode Storyarcs.
The BEST Star Trek episodes ever, all were 2 parters!
You have more time for deeper story, you have a reason to turn in next week and you still get Start - Plot - Finale in a reasonable Time frame.

ENT Season 4 had more EPIC episodes than ANY other Trek Series out there had in one Season.

....and of course then they have to cancel it.

So what was the failure of ENT?

- people did not buy that i was a prequel to TOS, the ship looked too modern, the bridge looked to new etc.
(the casual TV audience did not like, or not even understand it!)
- for the hardcore fans it was a prequel without enough story reason to be a prequel
- the *concept* was not made for a Series but for a Pilot movie and after that Pilot we were suddenly watching default TNG³ or VOY² episodes again. (including recycled stories!)
- it took 3 Seasons for ENT to get it's rhythm, which you can also say for TNG, DS9 and VOY, but times have changed, either your new series rocks right from the go or it gets canceled after 13 eps. ...just ask FOX.
They massmurder good new Series like no one else.

and then on top of it there are those people who don't like the Ship itself (Akira on it's head) or Captain Archer and stuff like that.

In my eyes they should have gone FORWARD after Voyager + Nemesis. Not backwards. And we might still have new Trek on TV... and no frakking REBOOT!

...and thats kinda why i am playing STO, 2409 the future... that's what i wanted to see for years now.
THIS is what Star Trek should have done in the first place.
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-30-2012, 07:20 PM
What I didn't like:
  1. Temporal Cold War. STOP THE TIME TRAVEL BS!!!
  2. The writing.
  3. The characterizations.
  4. The environment.

Sadly, it only got good after Berman was removed from it. Too bad it was too late. I would have loved for them to get into the Romulan/Earth War... which is what I thought the series was going to be about to begin with! "Hey, we are in danger of cancellation. Let;s create this new race called the Xindi to be a threat to Earth. And, ooh, it'll involve time-traveling space Nazis!!!"

Or, just start the freaking Romulan/Earth War. At least that would be comethign we could care about!
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-30-2012, 07:31 PM
My only problem with it was that....

wait for it, wait for it

There were no Cardassians