Lt. Commander
# 1 Request: a DOFF export feature
01-30-2012, 05:41 PM
OK, this might not be realistic given priorities and all that, but this would make managing DOFFs a whole lot easier.

I would love an option to export my DOFF information to a CSV file. Don't need a fancy UI for this; you could hardcode the path, etc. for all I care (like screenshots).

What I'd love to see on each "row:" DOFF name, department, role, species, rank, gender, quality, traits, bound/unbound flag, BOE y/n flag, active roster abilities.

With something like this we could open the file up in Excel, or suck it into a database, or write our own code to do...well, whatever we want, really. This idea occurred to me as I've recently decided to take the DOFF stuff more seriously, and the first thing on my list was to make a spreadsheet. Manually. Of over 100 DOFFs (and I know others have lots more). I don't have dual monitors, so I'm constantly alt-tabbing and typing, hoping I haven't messed up a trait or misspelled something.

No idea whether this would be trivial or a major undertaking, but if it's not too overwhelming...well, this would just be very useful.

For phase 2, I'd love to be able to dump all currently available missions in the sector and shipboard...I know those change regularly, but I'm thinking of an app that could read the file, then read the DOFF spreadsheet and autocalculate the optimal use of DOFF resources.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-30-2012, 08:30 PM
Well, for part 1, it's doable now (I already have part of it going, for my own use)... except for the Bound part, dont think that info is available...

What you do is you code an XML parser to pull out the desired information you want from the Captain's database xml (for example, the one from my main is here: http://www.startrekonline.com/charac...iles/63730/xml). DOff information is under idata...

Next, you take your list of DOffs (all you really get is name/species/quality and such), and look it up against STOWiki (some simple code can do this), and pull the rest of that info from there. Assuming that DOff is in STOWiki... but perhaps something like this would give mroe reason for everyone to enter more DOffs into STOWiki

All in all, Phase 1, as you call it, would be pretty simple. I would do it myself if I had some extra time (way too busy DOffing to do serious coding )... I might get around to something similar at some point, but not within the next couple weeks

The code I have now just looks at my XML, and updates my current access database with what I have. Any DOff not in that db, an entry is added, and every so often I go through and add the required info.

Next project that I was personally considering doing is to go through all XMLs, log each possible purple DOff name/species/ect, and start to create a master purple DOff list ... after coding, running the code would take a few days, but it's doable...

EDIT:
Oh... for phase 2, was just talking with one of my friends, something like that is doable... we'd just need to use the DOFFJobs google spreadsheet as a data source of what's currently out there (or something else similarly... would need to make some modifications to that sheet if someone really wants to do this). Then we need to put together a DB of assignments, including traits and such. That, that together with part 1, should be able to tell you the optimal assignments for your particular DOff team to the currently available assignments...

It really does sound like a fun little project...hmmm...
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-31-2012, 02:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardoc
Well, for part 1, it's doable now (I already have part of it going, for my own use)... except for the Bound part, dont think that info is available...

What you do is you code an XML parser to pull out the desired information you want from the Captain's database xml (for example, the one from my main is here: http://www.startrekonline.com/charac...iles/63730/xml). DOff information is under idata...
How did I not know this was there? This is AWESOME! Of course, it also shows that anyone can look at anyone's inventory, bank inventory, ship loadout, you name it...

I now have multiple ideas for apps that can use/parse this XML info. THANK YOU for showing me this!

Quote:
Next, you take your list of DOffs (all you really get is name/species/quality and such), and look it up against STOWiki (some simple code can do this), and pull the rest of that info from there. Assuming that DOff is in STOWiki... but perhaps something like this would give mroe reason for everyone to enter more DOffs into STOWiki
Fair enough. The unfortunate bit is that we're relying on STOWiki being up-to-date and accurate. And I know everyone tries to make it so, but tomorrow Heretic could check in some change that invalidates a bunch of it. So it would be a bit cooler if we could pull the info straight from the game.

But this is workable.

Quote:
All in all, Phase 1, as you call it, would be pretty simple. I would do it myself if I had some extra time (way too busy DOffing to do serious coding )... I might get around to something similar at some point, but not within the next couple weeks
Soon as I get done with some training I've got going on at work, I'm all over this.

Quote:
Oh... for phase 2, was just talking with one of my friends, something like that is doable... we'd just need to use the DOFFJobs google spreadsheet as a data source of what's currently out there (or something else similarly... would need to make some modifications to that sheet if someone really wants to do this). Then we need to put together a DB of assignments, including traits and such. That, that together with part 1, should be able to tell you the optimal assignments for your particular DOff team to the currently available assignments...

It really does sound like a fun little project...hmmm...
Yeah. Again it relies on the spreadsheet being updated, but still, it's a pretty good resource. Well, I'll work on an app for part 1 first before I worry about part 2.

Thanks again!
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-31-2012, 04:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheer View Post
How did I not know this was there? This is AWESOME! Of course, it also shows that anyone can look at anyone's inventory, bank inventory, ship loadout, you name it...

I now have multiple ideas for apps that can use/parse this XML info. THANK YOU for showing me this!
No problem. I've had lots of fun playing with it myself. And yeah, you can look into other's inventories, but worst that can lead to is unwanted spam from people who want to trade/buy from others. Account names are different than login names, so not like you'll become more likely of a target of being hacked or anything like that.

A couple things to keep in mind though:
1) The xml is not real time. I suspect it's updated certain times daily (or more often than once a day), but haven't actually done testing to see... but it's not real time
2) There actually are privacy settings you can enable that will disable the xml from being seen. Unfortunately, I think it's an all or nothing thing. If you disable it from other users, you can't see it either for your own use on your characters. How to actually access the privacy settings, I dont know anymore with this new webpage... everything is different, can't find it now...

Quote:
Fair enough. The unfortunate bit is that we're relying on STOWiki being up-to-date and accurate. And I know everyone tries to make it so, but tomorrow Heretic could check in some change that invalidates a bunch of it. So it would be a bit cooler if we could pull the info straight from the game.

But this is workable.
Yeah, it's not ideal... but the only other solution is to wait for Cryptic to make something for us, which may never happen, so this is the only solution I can think of.

Actually, I've been building my own DOff database by scanning through random users in the xml, and collecting DOff data... that only thing I'm really missing id traits on these DOffs, as that's really the only info missing from the xml... so if Cryptic could just add that, should be simple and quick for them, and be very nice for the rest of us

Otherwise, integrating random systems together is literally what I do for work, so not too bad linking STOwiki and the xml... google sheet would be something new for me at least... but integration is what I enjoy

Quote:
Soon as I get done with some training I've got going on at work, I'm all over this.
Cool

I have a few DOff coding projects going as well, but not too much progress at the moment... way too much other stuff to do

Quote:
Yeah. Again it relies on the spreadsheet being updated, but still, it's a pretty good resource. Well, I'll work on an app for part 1 first before I worry about part 2.

Thanks again!
I am working on an idea that may replace the spreadsheet (if accepted by most), but it's just in my brain at the moment... but the end goals would be:
-make it as easy to update as 'The Sheet'
-actualy mission lists (ie all missions known are in the db, so people can select the mission they are seeing, and other data behind that mission - required materials, DOffs, ect - would be available automatically)
-subscriptions/email notification for assignments people are looking for
-combine that and the xml to make recommendations based on actual DOffs you have
-other fun stuff

We'll see... if I sat down, I could have something decent done is a week, already have some of it done, just a matter of integrating it all and putting a nice UI on front, but too much other stuff is going on
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-04-2012, 09:45 AM
Augh! Has the XML been disabled? I can't pull it up anymore! It just redirects to the main page!

Devs, I realize there's a potential security issue (if you know someone's character # you can pull their inventory, etc.) but there must be a better way. This XML pull could be SO USEFUL!

Dangit, I had a chunk of code written and wanted to test it! DANGIT!