Lt. Commander
# 1 Science Consoles
01-30-2012, 08:00 PM
In order to add more value to Science Console slots, we are looking at changeing the following consoles from the Engineering Console Slot to the Science Consoel Slot:
Field Generator (Shield HP)
Shield Emitter Amplifier (Shield Regen)
This is also more consistent with the way skills are currently arranged.

These would be a conversion, not new consoles. So if you currently have one of these consoles slotted in an Engineering Console slot, they would stay there, but once you move them, they would only go back into a Science Console Slot.

Let us know your thoughts.

-geko
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-30-2012, 08:05 PM
Thanks for the heads up, I will not move them from their assigned slots on my Sci-Toons
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-30-2012, 08:11 PM
Well, now there is a use for up to 2 science consoles on non-science ships. (Borg + Field) This is better than the 1 that was previously the case, but this isn't really a solution to science consoles in general. In addition, the Odyssey still has 3 science consoles, which is still one more than is actually useful, even with this change.

You also need to consider the fact that this makes Eng consoles worse, while leaving the best type of console (Tac) unchanged. It also makes Sci console slots on Sci ships worse, since they were actually using those slot already (unlike every other kind of ship.) This doesn't really sound like a great plan. Really, you need to do something about the bad science consoles, not just steal good consoles from engineering.

I will say that, thematically, it makes much more sense to have Sci consoles deal with shields, but I don't think that this change is nearly enough to level the playing field.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-30-2012, 08:16 PM
Looks like I get to add another Neutronium Alloy to all my ships
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-30-2012, 08:27 PM
Whooo!

Really loving this, even though it'll take a bit to adapt to. Adds some value to sci slots on non-sci ships, rather than just having them be the default location for my universal consoles.

While it does mean that my MVAM will have to find a new home for one of its universal consoles, I still think this is a move in the right direction.

Obviously this is just the start- but it is relieving to know that you guys actually have time to look at this stuff now. I'll be looking forward to future improvements in this vein.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-30-2012, 08:28 PM
I totally agree that thematically this is more appropriate.

That said, I too feel that Sci consoles in general are less versatile.

Of course, They aren't useless, If you get the consoles that augment the sci abilities you have they are fine, but ALL captains benefit greatly from most Tac consoles. To be fair, I'm not sure how to fix this... Though a good idea might be to partially un-nerf them a bit. Or perhaps have other benefits.

Example: Sensor mod consoles also slightly increase accuracy of weapons. Consoles that augment graviton abilities also provide a slight resistance to the same.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-30-2012, 08:31 PM
So if you do this, I must never move that console from engineering or my jem'hadar ship loadout will be totally messed up. Got it.
Lt. Commander
# 8
Not opposed to the change. As I mentioned elsewhere, most of the shield heal powers (except extend shields) are sci powers, so this change is in line with that.

I am going to bring up a science console that was sadly eliminated in the last skill change/update. Previously the Halon System boosted Hazard Emitters. Now, Hazard Emitters is a bit of a weird skill to start with since it's a hull heal (typically engy) but is a science power. But now the only power that affects it is Structural Integrity. So, the only console that affects it is Structural Integrity Field (no DOffs affect it either, including the Hazard Systems Officer which I thought was weird)

Am I suggesting moving the SIF Generator to science also? No. I'm suggesting that you should bring back a Hazard Emitter console. Maybe a hybrid Hazard Emitter-Shield console as a reward. It's just weird that a science power can't be boosted by a science console.
Lt. Commander
# 9
I think it's a promising start. It is however true that this would only make science slots more attractive because those fairly popular consoles will suddenly be available there.

Mind you: start. The other science consoles would likely still need a look given to them so that they might seem competitive in turn with the performance offered by the Field Generators and Field Emitter Amplifiers - otherwise we're likely to end up with people filling their science slots with those if they don't serve as dump slots for universal C-Store obtained console.

As far as quelling the complaints of the Odyssey's science console slot number... this may work to a degree. But it doesn't mean the rest of the science console line-up doesn't need to be fixed as well. You might want to consider an approach like that taken by armor plating engineering consoles: that of fixing bonuses for 2 skills on one console. Or adding additional side-bonuses like a faster incrementation of sensor analysis with a sensor boosting console, or a higher ship inertia on a console that increases ship resistance against mobility debuffs, etcetera.

I don't think Engineering consoles are hurt much by this, since they still have a fairly good lineup available. The subsystem power bonus ones still need to be fixed (+3.5 power returned to +7) but otherwise I think they comparatively fare fairly well in contrast to tactical consoles (i.e.: +35% turn vs +26% phaser damage for Mk11 consoles).

Speaking of Turn Rate - though that's something pertaining the engineering consoles - maybe it'd be a good idea to enter something like "Gives the highest between +35% Turn Rate or +3.5 degree per Second" or something like that? One concern I've always had with high-level cruisers is how their turn rate is so low that turn rate console don't seem to yield a whole lot of results - thus giving a small bonus which is a fraction of an already small value, meaning only a small difference. (Sorry, I like my turn rate and was compelled to make a plug in here where I knew you'd look =P )
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-30-2012, 08:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainGeko
In order to add more value to Science Console slots, we are looking at changeing the following consoles from the Engineering Console Slot to the Science Consoel Slot:
Field Generator (Shield HP)
Shield Emitter Amplifier (Shield Regen)
This is also more consistent with the way skills are currently arranged.

These would be a conversion, not new consoles. So if you currently have one of these consoles slotted in an Engineering Console slot, they would stay there, but once you move them, they would only go back into a Science Console Slot.

Let us know your thoughts.

-geko
Ummm ... Does this mean we can have 4/3/4 console layout on the bortaS then? ... Just kidding, although I do feel a bit weak with only one sci console slot.

But we are Klingons. We always adapt.
Closed Thread