Lt. Commander
Please dont delete/move/report this thread as i cant find no better please for this then as of the PC & Technical Issues section

AMD Catalyst 12.2 beta drivers are out now so if you have a AMD Graphics Card you can google for the AMD Catalyst 12.2 beta driver or just simply download them here http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles...iewdriver.aspx dont worry dis link is complete harmless

P.S. a side note these drivers are in beta i am not responsible for any errors that happen during and after the installation and also note that these driver do not yet fully support the 7xxx series cards from AMD
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-31-2012, 10:03 AM
Beta drivers are usually not a good idea to try out if you are not fully technically literate with your system.

If the game is working fine for you, I would be patient until 2-4 months have passed with a newer driver and then try it. Make sure that you have earlier versions saved on your computer that you can revert to if needed.

On my personal experience, AMD/ATI drivers are worse than nVidia's, so it is often better to wait. ATI/AMD often has better hardware for a little bit, but nVidia's engineers manage to work some magic on fixing and supporting their hardware reliably.
Lt. Commander
# 3 A little faster for me
01-31-2012, 11:19 AM
From trying them on in Batman AC , Assassins Creed Revelations and a few others , they are a tiny bit faster for me (HD5770) .

I would agree with DarthPanda however that ATI drivers are normally "teh suck" compared to nvidia, but unless I find issues I will probably stick with them.

Can't test in STO as its currently broken for me (unrelated to the new drivers, issue was from before, I actually installed the 12.2 to see if that fixed it..)
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-31-2012, 11:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthpanda16 View Post
On my personal experience, AMD/ATI drivers are worse than nVidia's, so it is often better to wait. ATI/AMD often has better hardware for a little bit, but nVidia's engineers manage to work some magic on fixing and supporting their hardware reliably.
I would agree that ATI's beta drivers tend to be worse than nVidia's, but that probably has something to do with the fact that nVidia almost forces you to use their beta drivers, by releasing far more beta drivers than real drivers. nVidia's beta drivers also tend to have game specific optimizations in them, which is further incentive to use them. When dealing with actual certified drivers, I would give the nod to ATI by a bit. Just my opinion.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-31-2012, 01:45 PM
My personal experience with ATI/AMD drivers is:
if you have found one so that all your games run decently .. HOLD ONTO IT FOR DEAR LIFE !

And that some smartypants GFX Dev doesn´t break something in your favorite MMO, just so that some useless Dx11 thingy works on other peoples buggy drivers. Built for expensive cards that basically nobody has anyway.:p
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-31-2012, 04:20 PM
The 12.1 FINAL Catalyst just came out 1/20/2012

I WAS using the 12.1 PREVIEW drivers are they worked fine and now I'm using the FINAL 12.1 with no problems (HD6850 OC'ed). Hell, even the ATI/AMD preview drivers for Windows 8 work smooth.

As far as ATI/AMD being worse then NVIDIA, YEAH RIGHT LOL. I started my PC gaming with ATI, switched to NVIDIA from peer pressure then went back to ATI/AMD and never looked back. All my friends use NVIDIA and have nothing but problems, people just like NVIDIA cause they are cheaper.

And yeah, ATI rocks Batman Arkham City(DX 11) up down left and right. Not to mention BF3, the Dawn of War and Company of Heroes series.

Umm, not to mention all the NVIDIA users were having the most problems with the DX 11 mode in STO... lol
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-01-2012, 07:00 AM
AMD actually very commonly recommends the preview drivers for gamers, in this case the 12.2 preview drivers.

However, in regards to STO, the minor DX11 renderer performance issue is still present with these new drivers, so there's no need to update if that's what anyone is after.