Lt. Commander
# 1 Starbase crashing
01-31-2012, 06:39 AM
Hello all,
sadly my first post in the forums is a crashie helpie type post.
Been playing for a few days now, with no discernible problems but now...

I beamed onto K-7 and was walking into the main area when the game froze. No error message but game was completely unresponsive. ALT-TAB worked and was able to close it , but now when I log on it respawns me in the same place and the freeze is instant.
This has happened once before at the Starbase above earth , but when I logged back in I was able to move away from the crash position. (actually the first time I logged back in I turned my view with the mouse and it crashed again, next time I didnt touch the mouse and just beamed out of there to avoid crashing) It has worked fine until now.

Alternatively , is there any way to move my character back onto the ship or somewhere else (via a command or something?) , as Im sure this will fix it.

Thanks !

ATI HD5770 , intel i5 .

------
edit: I've attempted "safe mode " in the launcher , restarted PC, I've attempted dropping all graphics settings to minimum with no effect, still crashes immediately.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-31-2012, 09:57 AM
Try logging into to a different character, and change the graphic settings and resolution. Experiment.

Then try logging back into the troubled character. Try changing the graphic settings elsewhere if you can without incident.

If you continue to have problems:

Please send in a ticket to Tech Support with the following information so we can try to figure this out for you.

It'll be helpful to us if you tell us some of your computer's information, and include any screenshots of any bugs or errors that you get.

1) What is the make and model number of your computer?

2) Please also tell us whether you are running a 32bit or 64bit version of Windows. You can find out in Windows by going here: Start > Control Panel > System & Maintenance > System. Then look under System > System Type. It will then display 32bit Operating System or 64bit Operating System. Include that info with the info we ask for below.

3) To create a dxdiag log, go to Start, click on Run, then type in dxdiag and press Enter. Click on Save All Information as a text file (on your Desktop as an example.
If you are using Vista or 7, go to the Start Menu, click on the Search menu and type dxdiag.exe.

4) Attach the dxdiag.txt that you save to your reply to us.

If you have a 64bit system, please click on the 64bit Dxdiag/DirectX button to save the correct log file.

This is important so that we can do our best to help you.
Lt. Commander
# 3 No luck..
01-31-2012, 10:40 AM
Yeah as I wrote above I've already experimented with graphics settings as the main menu and character select menu work fine, I've since also tried min and max and other resolutions, no effects/all effects, dx9, dx11, Ive read on other threads that dynamic lights create problems so Ive turned those off and on, I've tried turning multi-core off and on.. Tried the new ATI 12.2 preview drivers , rolled back to 12.1,multiple restarts, nothing exactly the same.
I press play, K7 loads, split seconds after seeing the interior (with my character sometimes visible, sometimes crash before he is visible) it freezes. Sometimes the full HUD hasnt even loaded. I can see other characters and NPCs but no movement. Sound stops too.
I started a ticket with a dxdiag log (ticket number#1267729)
EDIT : That was a cryptic ticket number, no response from them.
EDIT : Here is the PW ticket #120131-000245
I dont have any character slots or characters I can try.
I've frankly tried everything. It seems its that particular location that makes it crash as Ive not had other issues other than the same issue at the Starfleet command starbase , but then at least it let me beam out of the location. Otherwise the behaviour was the same if I moved or turned with the mouse it would crash, but at least it loaded the level .
Is there no way you or I can move the character out of K7 or respawn anywhere else? Surely this is possible as I lost connection once and the game offered to respawn me "Safe mode" away from the mission I was on when I disconnected.

Many thanks !

Here are the highlights of my spec:
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.110622-1506)
System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model: P55-UD3
BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU 750 @ 2.67GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.7GHz
Memory: 4096MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 4092MB RAM
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-31-2012, 10:44 AM
Link to new dxdiag 64bit, http://www.filedropper.com/dxdiag_10
The graphics warnings are due to ati 12.2 preview driver, but this occured before on 11 version and 12.1 so this is not the issue.
Thanks!
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-31-2012, 10:54 AM
I am currently sending a full dump with the CrypticError tool. PID:1084 ETID:13435172 .
Will be done in 20 or so min.
Still thinking there must be a way to get me off K7...
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-31-2012, 11:46 AM
Dump complete. PW ticket #120131-000245
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-31-2012, 06:14 PM
Defo not a graphics error, or at least a rare one that affects both ATI and NVidia cards. I swapped out my HD5770 with an old NVida 7800GT , updated the drivers , and the exact same thing happened.
I also tried to download all the game files by first re-checking my files and then disabling on demand patching then re-checking again. So thats not it.
Wonder if it will be any different from Steam? Im guessing not.
Lt. Commander
# 8 Re-install fixed it !
02-01-2012, 08:50 AM
Yep , a full re-install including re-downloading the whole 6gb worked and now I'm flying around again. Shame I didnt do that earlier, ppl were so sure it was a graphics error I swapped out GFX cards and drivers and all sorts!
Anyway thanks all !

Lt. Commander
# 9
02-01-2012, 03:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by grandmastertib
Yep , a full re-install including re-downloading the whole 6gb worked and now I'm flying around again. Shame I didnt do that earlier, ppl were so sure it was a graphics error I swapped out GFX cards and drivers and all sorts!
Anyway thanks all !

I'll try that spot in DS9 I always crash (M.A.C.O./Borg shop) after the disconnecting issues are fixed, sometimes it takes me over 7 restarts to get my avatar out of the shop and then everything is fine.