Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Federation Shipyards
Login

Lt. Commander
Personally, I don't know, I'm just setting up the thread for someone who does to chime in.

My understanding is that it was ridiculously good, perhaps we know why now...from patch notes...

http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...93#post3980293

Quote:
The MACO Resilient Shield Array will no longer have incoming shield damage set to 10% instead of reduced by 10%.
If the shield before was absorbing NINETY per cent, and is now absorbing only 10%, I can imagine this might make a significant impact....

Discuss...
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-31-2012, 08:37 AM
Not really. I tried an Elite STF and a private challenge against a fleet members BoP a few days back with a MACO Mk XI and a Resilient Mk XI [Cap] [Pla] ([Cap]x2 for the challenge) and noticed little difference.
If you cycle your resistance skills like you should be anyway you'll not notice a huge difference in the way they handle damage and it certainly won't make MACO useless as some seem to claim. IMO the MACO shield is still the best shield available to a Federation character; with its high capacity, lower bleed through and good regeneration I'm not seeing any downsides (the visuals are nice too).
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-01-2012, 12:43 AM
The Maco Shield, pros and cons:

Pro:

- Resilient - flat 5% absorb
- -10% damage taken in addition to -20 % Plasma damage taken
- Sufficiently high cap
- Yields you a powerbonus when shot at, up to +10 power. which in shield power equals around 6-7% resist, also increases engine power and as such maneuverability (well slightly). Its aux increase boosts all aux dependent tanking and healing. Also boosts your weapons power.
- chrome beehive barrier armor look on your ship

cons:

none.

The Maco shield is THE perfect shield for feds to use that do not explicitly wish to make us of other set bonuses.
Aegis is only really useful as a full set for example (and do not let people kid you, its still a viable and good set)

Omega is imho more of a kitbash set to be mixed with another one (you really only want tetryon glider if anything, so 2 parts).

Maco is also a kitbash set since the third set power is loldicrulously useless.

borg console and engines + mako deflector and shield will yield you a well rounded set.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-01-2012, 09:31 AM
I dont think so, after patch it was not possible to tank the taccube from infected elite space, it was like not having a shield, i tried differnt normal MkXII than, with a resilant or covariant tankin the cube works fine. i decided to try the aegis set and see it works fine like with maco before patching.

maco would no longer work for me, i think the patch has damaged it. but doesnt matter with aegis i can tank all enemys from 100% to 0%, im fine but not lucky without maco
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-01-2012, 12:37 PM
The MACO shield is still the best sheild in the game for tanking. It is the absolute best for a cruiser! Combine that with the MACO deflector and the aegis engine for the extra added 5% defense, you've got yourself the best cruiser gear lay out in the game.

Now some people will argue that its better to use the borg engine instead of the aegis engine that way you get that two set hull regen bonus from running the borg console and engine but here is the problem with that, the borg hull regen two set bonus is a proc, and an extremly low proc rate at that. So in any pvp or space battle in general, you'll likely only get the hull regen to proc maybe two or three times, maximum of like 4 times. Thats extremely low, especially if your trying to use it a safety measure. Its far better to use the 5% defense bonus from the aegis engines because it is a concrete defense. You'll always have it, therefore you know your build is always solid. Instead of having to rely on a lucky proc chance.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-01-2012, 12:39 PM
And Ned_Turner your wrong, even after patch using my set up, I can still tank the tactical cubes in the elite stfs for their entire life span. ill post a link to my build set up, that way you can see for yourself that it is still possible.

Link - http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=251422
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-01-2012, 12:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnorok21
Now some people will argue that its better to use the borg engine instead of the aegis engine that way you get that two set hull regen bonus from running the borg console and engine but here is the problem with that, the borg hull regen two set bonus is a proc, and an extremly low proc rate at that. So in any pvp or space battle in general, you'll likely only get the hull regen to proc maybe two or three times, maximum of like 4 times. Thats extremely low, especially if your trying to use it a safety measure. Its far better to use the 5% defense bonus from the aegis engines because it is a concrete defense. You'll always have it, therefore you know your build is always solid. Instead of having to rely on a lucky proc chance.
The 2-piece borg bonus was recently changed this month. The proc rate was increased, and the cooldown decreased. The borg set is definitely a viable alternative to Aegis engine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroniusRex
  • Updated Space Sets:
    • Borg:
      • 2-Piece: Hull regeneration now improves with player skill in "Hull Repair" up to 1.5x base effectiveness.
      • 2-Piece: Reduced internal cooldown from 60 seconds to 45 seconds.
      • 2-Piece: Increased passive Hull Regeneration from .2 to .35.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroniusRex
  • BORG:
    • 2 PIECE: Increased proc chance from 10% to 20%.
    • 3 PIECE: Increased threshold of proc from 10% shield health remaining to 20%.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-01-2012, 01:02 PM
My point about how its still a proc chance vs the solid 5% from the aegis engines still holds valid, having to rely on a lucky proc to get the tanky heal you need isn't reliable. In a fight, I'd rather have the sure fire reassurance that my defenses are on rather then having to hope for a proc chance.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-01-2012, 01:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnorok21
My point about how its still a proc chance vs the solid 5% from the aegis engines still holds valid, having to rely on a lucky proc to get the tanky heal you need isn't reliable. In a fight, I'd rather have the sure fire reassurance that my defenses are on rather then having to hope for a proc chance.
To each his own, I guess. Nothing wrong with going Aegis. But nothing wrong with going borg as well.

Personally, I think 20% proc chance is pretty decent, and the proc has saved my butt numerous times in STFs.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-01-2012, 01:29 PM
@Ragnorok21

i see u skilled to be offtank and there are no points in Starship Armor Reinforcements,
like ur description sad to be anchor
u dont have auxpower or else to have good heals, i think with ur setting u ll need a healer otherwise the taccube would eat ur self .

i can aggree with ur engine choice +++ , most people sais take borg and his console, not optimal , aegis engine defenetly wins

next is, u skilled starship subsystem repair , cant remember thats working ^^ , maybe cause iam usin 4 human BO , i think u can use the points at better positions .

and ur right the MACO is defenetly the best shield, but it seems like it doesnt work after last patch, i tried different shields and every shield was better, but doesnt matter aegis or MACO were both good and now with the aegis set me dont need a healer for staying alive and i hold the thread.

i never tried the biofunctional console, will test it, maybe a good option, this time i use two shield emitter

my tacBO has tactical team and pattern delta, dont use any damage abbility at the tacBO , to have enogh penetration and thread my choice is directed energie modulation. its not important i think people are not the same