Lt. Commander
# 1 Sounds Tools We Need
10-12-2011, 12:38 PM
While working on my latest project it occurred to me we do not have access to any sounds. Sounds are just as vital to a mission as being able to place objects or NPC groups. I am not asking for anything extravagent. I just want to be able to use background noises and ambient sounds found in the episodes already. I would like to be able to choose the mood music for my Foundry missions. Sounds play an intergal part of the mission experience. Would it be possible for us to have access to the current list of sounds usable by the Devs?
Lt. Commander
# 2
10-14-2011, 10:18 PM
I completely agree with you. Just like in a movie, music and sound (or the lack thereof) can set the mood for missions that help bolster the visuals and really help you feel a scene. To not have this is severely limiting.

I am also working on a project and I want to have a dramatic/emotional scene but it's hard to do that when the standard music is pumping in the background. It just doesn't fit.

+1 for music and sound access in the Foundry.
Lt. Commander
# 3
10-14-2011, 10:27 PM
Oh, I just saw this here under upcoming goals:
http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=192185

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstahl View Post
Upcoming Foundry Feature Goals
Map editor improvements
  • Better visualize placed objects in the editor using 2-D preview images
  • Fully customize backdrops, assembled from various sky effects layers, atmospheric effects, sound effects and music
  • Enable snap-to-grid to more easily place objects
  • Place waypoints for patrol routes for actors to follow
  • Place “job” nodes for actors to interact with, such as consoles
Lt. Commander
# 4
10-16-2011, 11:02 AM
Id love to see this as well. It always comes off strange when you have a scene that's supposed to be calm and yet you got suspenseful music play cus it randomly decides them. It be great to add map wide sound effects and also area specific sound effects and the choice of music or lack of music.
Maybe make music a part of the mission story ladder so you can have the music change at different times on the same map.
Lt. Commander
# 5
10-16-2011, 06:00 PM
The down side to the post you reference came out many moons ago with no update on where things are. I repeatedly asked for some form of update to no good effect. I'd love for some information regarding the status on that. But I expect another plea will fall on deaf ears
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-03-2012, 08:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by castmodean View Post
The down side to the post you reference came out many moons ago with no update on where things are. I repeatedly asked for some form of update to no good effect. I'd love for some information regarding the status on that. But I expect another plea will fall on deaf ears
So any information on control over background music?

I hate not having control over the mood of an area (i.e. set by the music).

It's extremely annoying to go through so much effort to try and set a certain flavor for a scene and have it totally destroyed by some inappropriate random music file.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-03-2012, 08:45 AM
The ability to select background noise (style of music, ambient sound effects, silence, whatever) would be a great feature.

Also, a selection of specific sound effects for various situations would be good. There are, I'm sure, plenty of websites with Public Domain sound effects, and unless I'm misunderstanding something the ST IP has plenty of sound effects (both RW and IP-specific) in library. Selecting (for example) what noise a console makes when the player activates it, or what the characters' footsteps sound like in this particular environment, or what sort of ambient noise that Gigantic Weird Thing makes, would be a great plus.

In another thread someone mentioned a text-to-speech system in the Foundry, and while this is probably well beyond the current game engine (at least, making it sound right), I think it's something to gradually work toward.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-03-2012, 03:39 PM
I know that different atmospheric effects on ground maps give of different ambient noise. Many authors have used them quite effectively. P.S I think those posts might have even been before D-Stahl left for Zygar or what ever that MMO company for 50 year old mothers is called.