Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > The Academy
Login

Lt. Commander
I notice there are old lock boxes for sale on The Exchange (like a Ferengie one) and I was wondering, is it worth buying say one of each of the old boxes or do the boxes get better and better contents over time which makes the old ones irrelevant and worth less than the new ones?
Career Officer
# 2
02-04-2014, 09:37 PM
Unless you just have an excess of disposable income any lockbox isn't worth it.

The only reason to open boxes would be lobi. Anything else you get would be bonus since the odds are so horrific.

If all you want is one of the lockbox ships, on average you'd be better off selling the keys and then buying the ship you want.
Sometimes I think I play STO just to have stuff to rant about on the forums!

Last edited by dracounguis; 02-04-2014 at 09:40 PM.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-04-2014, 10:21 PM
Ah ok I brought 20 keys during the key sale because the boxes sounded interesting so I'll use those up slowly over the year and then probably not get anymore
Captain
# 4
02-05-2014, 12:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dracounguis View Post
Unless you just have an excess of disposable income any lockbox isn't worth it.

The only reason to open boxes would be lobi. Anything else you get would be bonus since the odds are so horrific.

If all you want is one of the lockbox ships, on average you'd be better off selling the keys and then buying the ship you want.
I don't work with lock boxes, in fact I've pretty much ignore every discussion about them until now, but I'm a little surprised at this tactic. I took a quick look on the exchange. Cardassian Galor-class was selling for EC138,000,000. Lock box keys were EC1,900,000. So I'd have to save up for, then sell 73 keys to have the EC needed to buy a Galor. As I said, I don't open lock boxes (with 2 test exceptions). So you're saying that earning and selling 72 keys is more likely to get me a Galor than using them to open lock boxes? It may not be the lottery, but that's some pretty miserable odds, especially realizing people are encouraged to buy the keys with real money. If that's the case, I think I'd rather see the Galor as a zen-purchase ship.
Starfleet Veteran
# 5
02-05-2014, 12:58 AM
The Wiki lists the contents of the lockboxes. You can see there whether a box has anything that you are interested in.

The older boxes are not necessarily made obsolete by newer boxes being released. It's just a matter of what sorts of things you are hoping to find.

I'm not going to tell anyone not to open a lockbox. I'll buy some keys now and then and open a few myself.

But I will suggest that you mind the entire range of possibilities.
If you think that some single thing is so much better than any other similar thing in a different box and that you absolutely must have that item, then it doesn't matter what else is there.

If, for example, you absolutely, positively must have the D'Kora Marauder then you have two options: Find one for sale on the exchange or open some Ferengi lockboxes.

But otherwise I would look at the entire box and decide which one you think is most likely to offer you something that you won't mind getting.
Captain
# 6
02-05-2014, 02:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by steamwright View Post
So you're saying that earning and selling 72 keys is more likely to get me a Galor than using them to open lock boxes?
Yes. Acquiring and then selling ~70-80 keys depending on market values guarantees you get the ship. Blowing it opening boxes almost certainly won't get you the ship, since it takes about 500 keys to get a ship.
Commander
# 7
02-05-2014, 03:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by doffingcomrade View Post
Yes. Acquiring and then selling ~70-80 keys depending on market values guarantees you get the ship. Blowing it opening boxes almost certainly won't get you the ship, since it takes about 500 keys to get a ship.
I must have gotten very lucky then last night. Had bought 10 keys in the sale and opened three hirogen lock boxes. First one I got the ship, second an officer pack with decent lobi and the third, another hirogen ship.

Two ships in three boxes is pretty sweet.
Commander
# 8
02-05-2014, 04:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by steamwright View Post
So you're saying that earning and selling 72 keys is more likely to get me a Galor than using them to open lock boxes?
Buying the lockbox ship on the exchange has a guaranteed reward, no amount of opening lockboxes comes with that kind of guarantee.
Tests[1] show that the droprate of lockbox ships is near/below 0.5%. Assuming it's supposed to be 0.5%, 72 keys would give you ~30.3% chance of getting the ship. If you're not that lucky (by definition, most people aren't) here's some more chances:
50% chance to get the ship would need ~138 keys
90% chance to get the ship would need ~459 keys
95% chance to get the ship would need ~598 keys
99% chance to get the ship would need ~919 keys

If you're the 1 out of 10 who has opened ~459 boxes and not gotten the ship, you should at least have enough lobi crystals (and other reward items) to sell on the exchange and then buy the ship there (assuming exchange prices are in similar proportions then as they are now)

If you want only one specific item from a lockbox, just buy it on the exchange. If you have the money/EC to spare, open some boxes and be happy with whatever you receive.

[1] search the Academy subforum for threads with "lockbox loot tables" in the title
Captain
# 9
02-05-2014, 06:56 AM
think of lockboxes as "lobi boxes that can, extremely rarely, have a prize". Some other thoughts.... we just wrapped up a "all box types drop" week so prices on boxes should be at a low. Or not -- I do not keep up with it. If you really want to spend big $$ trying for a specific ship, you can either open that box type *or* if the price on the desired ship is low and the ship is readily available, open the current box until you either get lucky or get enough lobi to sell a lobi ship for the EC to buy the one you want, etc. If you must do the lockbox game, educate yourself on the odds, real money involved, and how to maximize your chances at getting what you want with the least $$ spent, which includes trading for EC to buy the ship.
Captain
# 10
02-05-2014, 07:13 AM
The green lockboxes are supposed give you better odds at a big prize. They do, on average, give out a lot more Lobi (10 - 15) than the rest of them (4). So if Lobi is something you want, that's the way to go.

I've found the Dominion box tends to give out the Rich Dilithium claims more consistently. I have no statistical proof for that and admit that I may have just been lucky.

I do the lockboxes with the criteria of "Which box has the most prizes that I want the least? I'll skip those ones."