Lt. Commander
# 41
02-01-2012, 04:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerilynnS View Post
But anger leads to hate, hate leads to suff....

oh wait...
pahahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by HF_Mudd
Spite, anger, and disappointment.

Well, you did ask.
uhm... those aren't valid reasons... So you are angry at, spiteful towards and disapointed in Cryptic... Why is that any reason to not play Foundry missions, NOT created by cryptic?

*Is actually confused*
Lt. Commander
# 42
02-01-2012, 04:05 PM
This is a great way to encourage people to make Foundry missions, and reward those who already have. I know I've given TheGrandNagus a few hundred Dilithium over the last few days as thanks for all those great dailies.
Lt. Commander
# 43
02-01-2012, 04:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexsam View Post
Now that the game is free anyway, you have no reason to avoid the Foundry anymore. You're not paying for any of it anymore, so why avoid it? It's literally a 100% free huge reservoir of content. If it's not costing you a dime, and the only difference is the author's name, then what's the problem?

It's like you really think Cryptic is going to stop making content just because there's a Foundry. No offense, but are you really that stupid? What game in the history of ever has put out a community tool for content creation and then just up and stopped making new content for their game? Name one. Really, please do.

And if not playing the Foundry is some kind of protest, I hate to break it to you, but you're only hurting yourselves by doing it. Cryptic loses nothing from your stubbornness. Meanwhile people who can see just what a valuable and fun thing the Foundry really is continue to enjoy it. And Cryptic is going to continue putting resources into it specifically because of that.
If you go back and actually read my post, I made no mention about boycotting the Foundry in any way shape or form. In fact, my guild when it was active, used it extensively for creating RP scenarios. I will however maintain that paying subscribers have every right to expect content to be delivered to the game, just like any other MMO on the market. Cryptic has for the last year relied on the Foundry and the enthusiasm of the subscriber base to provide content for itself.

Will Cryptic provide future content? Sure, I have not suggested otherwise, but the last 12 months speaks for itself.

This is an STO forum, and paying subscribers have every right to voice their concern and opinions about a product that they are paying for.
Lt. Commander
# 44
02-01-2012, 04:16 PM
I'm not saying there isn't good content in the Foundry, it's just not what I'm paying for.

By all means, let the Devs go over top reviewed missions and adopt them as weekly FE or something similar.
Lt. Commander
# 45
02-01-2012, 04:21 PM
Maybe some GM's can do something about people if you are forced to put them on ignore from not being subjected to their lunacy. That they can be blocked from trolling or flaming on the review section I got this one guy he's out of control but no GM has put a stop to his behavior yet with this foundry option.
Lt. Commander
# 46
02-01-2012, 04:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerberusfilms View Post
uhm... those aren't valid reasons... So you are angry at, spiteful towards and disapointed in Cryptic... Why is that any reason to not play Foundry missions, NOT created by cryptic?
Actually, I'm not (well, at least not enough to boycott the Foundry). Nor did I assert that they were good or valid reasons; that's for each person to decide for themselves. I was just trying to answer your question: why would someone do that?
Lt. Commander
# 47 Change the name
02-01-2012, 04:52 PM
I just wish they'd change the "Community Authored" tab to say "Officer Reports".

It's already what they call it in the daily mission, and it sounds better from an immersion standpoint.

-Forjo
Lt. Commander
# 48
02-01-2012, 05:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Revo
i think his statement was fully tongue in cheek. at least i hope it was.
No, I was being completely serious. There just is no way for someone who is not employed by Cryptic to have a descent idea for a story. Along those lines, if a Cryptic employee helps create a featured series episode for pay, you know it is going to be great and worth playing. However, if the same employee goes home and creates a foundry mission in his spare time you know it is going to be terrible. That's just the way creativity works.

But in all seriousness, the average level of so-called "fan-fiction" is pretty mediocre; however, the foundry rating system seems to do a reasonably good job (though far from perfect) of letting you sort through it. A few of the foundry missions I have played have been real gems while a lot of the Cryptic-designed missions are hackneyed rehashes of old Star Trek TV plots (although there are some very compelling Cryptic-designed missions as well)
Lt. Commander
# 49
02-01-2012, 05:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forjo View Post
I just wish they'd change the "Community Authored" tab to say "Officer Reports".

It's already what they call it in the daily mission, and it sounds better from an immersion standpoint.

-Forjo
I wish you could goto a Bartender at the Captain's Table to access these instead of a dropdown menu in my mission window (along with a non-cooldown transport to the interior directly) and call them "Captain's Stories".

But I agree with many (and posted in the Revive Spotlight Missions thread) that the focus and spotlight should be shined on the back of the line not the top 50 played missions.

Spotlights aren't used on items in display cases and movie screens.

They're used to discover unseen things.
Lt. Commander
# 50
02-01-2012, 05:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerilynnS View Post
Too bad - you're missing out on some of the best Trek writing out there. Both in fanfic in and in Foundry. Some of the current, and incredibly talented official Trek writers came to their positions by writing fanfic. Before you get so judgmental, I would recommend you read some. If you would like recommendations, I would be happy to provide them to you.
Exactly - thank you.
I support the Tip jar Concept as a positive.
It is good But the Stock sets of Sets are restrictive..

Few things are as disappointing as a concept that's
not allowed by either the character contact list, ranks or locations along Faction lines.

Because its based off a lighter version our chances take more work then the fed DEV doing an honest fun effort.

The existing scenes used in repeatable or persistent Episodes we have seen lock you into a less friendly map creator system when compared to Never Winter Nights 1 or SSI Dungeons and Dragons Ultimate Adventured module creator Both products predating Cryptics City of Heroes Beta engine.

Also the levels used in the Borg Infected Mission started you out thinking how fun Quake was for layers of exploration and what a pain trying that here can be... I much prefer Lionhead Studios Movie Maker Layout for laying out Set of studio assets .

Your script writing points are valid TOS had well proven published authors writing scripts and had a Theater Group budget for Scenic back drops. Their Mattes portrayed the idea but budget demanded more Re-use
and was a binding limiting ingredient forcing script re-writes and left ideas as impossible to do.

I decline from making it too easy for the DEV to not add more high end content with their superior tools.
There are amazing people that care and do things for free here
Like the Champions team was able to do to keep the fun alive over there.

We should never see these dark times again ..The DEV need more writers to improve concept to delivery.