Lt. Commander
# 1 Lag issue with keyboard
02-01-2012, 09:54 PM
Have a strange issue that relates to keyboard lag in the game.
A simple example: I move my character forward then press A to turn left, my character does not change direction until about 10-20 seconds later.
I notice similar keyboard lag when typing in the chat window.
It's like the game is not receiving or processing keyboard input immediately.
I wonder what could be causing this lag?

My system specs:
Intel Core2Duo 2.4Ghz
4GB RAM
ATi HD5770

I've switched to the DX11 graphics options (though on another note, the graphics options don't seem to do much, even if I turn down options etc it still feels a little laggy graphically)
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-03-2012, 05:29 AM
Ok this is becoming annoying
The game is becoming unplayable as the game does not respond to my key changes (like changing direction when chasing the Q in starfleet academy)
Why does the game lag so much with regards to control input?
Changing graphical settings doesn't seem to make the game any smoother/faster.
I have only experienced this type of input lag in STO and I have been suffering it on and off for the last few months, but lately its been getting worse.
I don't know what else to try out.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-04-2012, 09:33 AM
Check your ping. Type /netgraph 1 to see your ping in your chat box. Anything under 200 is within tolerance. Anything higher than 300 could be causing your issue. Type /netgraph 0 to turn it off.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-10-2012, 05:19 PM
It's not network lag. I used to get bad network lag in WoW and this particular lag is quite different to network lag.
It's like a combination of graphical and input lag (client side) that seems to be manifest only recently (hate to say it, but since the graphics engine update).
I'm not sure what else it could be Am only experiencing this type of lag in STO. Other MMOs run fine.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-12-2012, 10:13 PM
Did you type "/netgraph 1" in your chatbox to verify (without the quotes)? There are some that experience lag in this game even though they are perfectly fine in other online situations (or so they say anyways).
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-19-2012, 07:57 PM
I did the netgraph command, lag was showing between 250 to 350ms. This is fairly normal for me across all MMOs that I play (being in Australia).
I've set it back to DX9 graphics and it seems only a little better, but I still get the occasional input lag from the keyboard.
I've played the game since closed beta (have only really upgraded graphics card since closed beta) and this issue has only really begin in the last few months.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-20-2012, 06:30 AM
Your lag does seem pretty high though even if it may or may not be causing your problem. I don't have any other suggestions for you other than to try to get your ping down. STO is unlike any other Mmo so to compare it as such isn't really prudent. STO is one of the most computer intensive games I have played in a very long while. Does it do it on any other computer you can play it on?
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-20-2012, 10:35 PM
Um nothing can be done about the ping- its the distance from Australia to the US servers, PLUS we have an idiotic monopoly internet provider that doesn't want to get with the future and upgrade their old equipment. I have played STO on partner's PC and it worked fine (but I have noticed an issues that pops up every so often when I play on that PC, at times the game loses action bar responsiveness - that is, I can't click on skills or press the number keys on the keyboard to activate abilities, I have to either restart STO or die and respawn for the action bar to register clicks/key presses).
Thanks for trying to help tho
Hopefully I'll be getting a new PC soon and this will be a non issue
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-21-2012, 06:36 AM
I too have the issue where powers stop responding but on ground only. You are correct about having to logout and back in. That is a game bug, not the fault of the computer.

Your welcome for the help. Sorry about your internet provider.