Lt. Commander
# 11
02-02-2012, 08:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badname834854
I think what bothers ME the most about this unneeded and arbitrary change is that they came to us (in another thread) asking for feedback...and then promptly ignored said feedback.

It was a fiat accompli and they knew it. Annoying.
Isn't every change pretty much a fiat accompli? Some are good, others - like this one, are VERY BAD.
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-02-2012, 08:46 AM
Cryptic departed from cannon when they made the klingon's ships have shielding just as good as federation ships. What's going on here is just cryptic nerfing engineers because people complained about their tanking ability.
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-02-2012, 08:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pardigm
Otherwise, you might as well ask Lt. Uhura to divert power to shields...
Says you! I'm asking my Gorn diplomatic uncommon DOFF Francis to activate that hotness. In about 45 minutes he'll come back and tell me in Parseltongue that he failed!

Lt. Commander
# 14
02-02-2012, 08:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBenton
Cryptic departed from cannon when they made the klingon's ships have shielding just as good as federation ships. What's going on here is just cryptic nerfing engineers because people complained about their tanking ability.
Math bug aside, this change actually makes engineering/cruiser captains better tanks because they now have more engineering console slots to buff other aspects and can use the worthless science console slots for shield buffs.
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-02-2012, 08:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBenton
I completely agree. However, isn't the ability of engineers specifically oriented to tanking? Isn't the specific orientation of tactical officers to deal damage? Isn't the specific orientation of science officers the ability to heal their group or themselves and otherwise hinder the enemy? At least it says so in upon character creation and in every piece of information disseminated by Cryptic that I can find.

So it looks like now they're stuck in a catch 22 with how they're trying to address the "problem." Simply engineers will whine that they can't do as much damage as tactical captains. Tactical captains will whine that they can't tank as much as engineers can. I believe that was the point and the mechanics are acting exactly as they were designed to act. There's a reason why Rock-Paper-Scissors was so popular when you were younger. It's still popular in game concepts today - because it works!
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-02-2012, 09:00 AM
Reverting back to canon Star Trek would mean that we'd all be wearing the same uniform, which would be a hideously bad thing. So I vote to deny the application of the petition.
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-02-2012, 09:01 AM
If Canon is what this thread is about, how often did we see a chief engineer activate the Tritanium Alloy console? The reality is the interpretation of “consoles” in this game is ridiculous.

The strange thing here is engineering consoles are all either armor upgrades or power modifiers. But now they are moving power modifications to Science consoles?
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-02-2012, 09:04 AM
Everyone should also keep in mind that Shields are often science skills in the skill tree. It only makes sense that shield system upgrades would also go into science consoles.
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-02-2012, 09:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchum View Post
Says you! I'm asking my Gorn diplomatic uncommon DOFF Francis to activate that hotness. In about 45 minutes he'll come back and tell me in Parseltongue that he failed!

This made me laugh out loud! My three year old son asked me if I was ok, even! As far as the OP, Canon and STO don't really belong in the same sentence anyway, so if they want to shift my shield enhancing console into my Sci slots, I'm all for it. Gives me more room on my defiant refit for armor. If you think about it, science has always had a little engineering in it anyway...HE is a hull heal, and Sci team enhances shields... Just sayin'
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-02-2012, 09:18 AM
I thought this was a thread about story.

The tech manuals are not canon. There is very little firm canon for how treknology works because even msds on screen are non-canon.
Closed Thread