Lt. Commander
Star Trek Online is now available on Steam! To celebrate, Stephen welcomes our newest players in Dev Diary #16 of the Season 5 News Dev Blog series.

Link to the news article.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-31-2012, 03:23 PM
I sense much rejoicing among the playerbase.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-31-2012, 03:29 PM
other than a way to deploy software, i really do not know what is the big thing with steam. could anyone inform me so i don't have to read up on it?
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-31-2012, 03:41 PM
Lovely.

Just a heads up for everyone that already bought the Steam version, re-update it through Steam. And afterward you may need to re-patch at the launcher. I've been getting authentication errors and constant d/c's since today's patch and the Steam F2P release.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-31-2012, 03:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staran View Post
other than a way to deploy software, i really do not know what is the big thing with steam
The only thing you need to know, is that Steam isn't Origin..

Oh and read up on it. You ask a forum a question and you're gonna get about 6 different answers.. make up your own mind.
Lt. Commander
# 6 Welcome ... :)
01-31-2012, 03:46 PM
And enjoy your time in Star Trek Online! =)

Regards
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-31-2012, 03:53 PM
Quote:
other than a way to deploy software, i really do not know what is the big thing with steam. could anyone inform me so i don't have to read up on it?
Quote:
Steam is a digital distribution, digital rights management, multiplayer and communications platform developed by Valve Corporation. It is used to distribute games and related media online, from small independent developers to larger software houses. Steam also has community features, automated game updates, in-game voice and chat functionality.

As of January 2012, there are 1504 games available through Steam,[4] and 40 million active user accounts.[5] The concurrent users peak was 5 million on January 2, 2012.[6] Although Valve never releases sales figures, Stardock, the previous owner of competing platform Impulse, estimated that, as of 2009, Steam had a 70% share of the digital distribution market for video games.[7]

Many major publishers have large catalogs available on Steam, including Bethesda Softworks, Activision, Rockstar Games, Square Enix, 2K Games, Sega, and Telltale Games.
Link if you decide to read up on it after all.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-31-2012, 04:00 PM
Does this affect how we launch the game for those of us who pre-ordered on Steam way back before launch?
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-31-2012, 04:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beary666 View Post
Does this affect how we launch the game for those of us who pre-ordered on Steam way back before launch?
its working fine for me.
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-31-2012, 04:10 PM
Quote:
Steam is an excellent program if you're a PC gamer, they have a large library of games, they have almost every major PC game release. you can check out what they have on their site.

http://store.steampowered.com/