Lt. Commander
A bunch of press sites have returned from GamesCom in Germany and have shared their thoughts about Star Trek Online. Check them out at their individual links below.

IGN
N4G
NowGamer
Gamespot, which you may have already read

Link to the news article.
Lt. Commander
# 2
08-28-2009, 07:34 PM
Thanks for putting this together
Lt. Commander
# 3
08-28-2009, 08:01 PM
It's awesome to see the game getting coverage on such high-profile gaming websites! Thanks for compiling this list of links -- it was enjoyable to see how the game is viewed at this point.
Lt. Commander
# 4
08-28-2009, 08:07 PM
News 4 Gamers merely points to the NowGamer piece that is exceedingly short and consists of mere quotes from Mr. Zinkievich. No impressions of anything shown at GamesCon at all. A little research before you post links perhaps??
Lt. Commander
# 5
08-28-2009, 08:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepton View Post
News 4 Gamers merely points to the NowGamer piece that is exceedingly short and consists of mere quotes from Mr. Zinkievich. No impressions of anything shown at GamesCon at all. A little research before you post links perhaps??
And to think I get bashed for my posts. Maybe perhaps you would like to archive all the reviews instead? While the link is pretty "useless" no reason to be so hostile about it.
Lt. Commander
# 6
08-28-2009, 08:15 PM
I think Craig's comments in these interviews may be the first true official word that Perpetual had no deliverables developed beyond artwork:

Quote:
"We bought the licence from Perpetual and got all of their assets," Zinkievich told NowGamer. "We looked at the concept art, which was really, really cool, but they didn't really have a game. There were no in-game assets that we could use in our engine."
Maybe I'm still not cynical enough about this industry, but I find that shocking. Perpetual's announcement that they had the license to make a MMORPG based on Star Trek came in September of 2004... and their announcement that they were giving up that license came in January of 2008.

So for over three years, Perpetual did nothing but work on design docs, tools, and sample artwork?

Wow.

Just... wow.

--Flatfingers
Lt. Commander
# 7
08-28-2009, 08:40 PM
Pretty sure that has been stated elsewhere but if it's news to you, it's news to you.
Lt. Commander
# 8
08-28-2009, 11:02 PM
All the articles but the second one are the same, except the first seems to say more clearly that the missions are on rails. The second one just seems to say how Trek the team is, shouldn't that go without saying.

A video of a mission playing out would be nice to confirm or deny that.
Lt. Commander
# 9
08-28-2009, 11:40 PM
Well these articles were better than the other article. :p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowgamer.com
"We bought the licence from Perpetual and got all of their assets," Zinkievich told NowGamer. "We looked at the concept art, which was really, really cool, but they didn't really have a game.
This I don't understand, John Eaves helped design several really cool starships for STO. Why throw them away?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGN.com
After watching the space battles, I wondered why the team opted for a third-person view of turn and burn space combat rather than the more system-focused tactical action of other Star Trek games like Klingon Academy and Bridge Commander. Craig explained that they tried a bridge perspective but it made the game feel too much like a dogfighter.
Even though many of us saw what you mean, but perhaps it would be nice to have a Bridge view sometimes. For instance, navigating through the Planetary Rings and Asteroid Belts would be much easier. (Trust me!) And for the dialogue / storyline communication boxes from NPCs, some people might like to see it "on screen" and not as an annoying floating window.

BTW, I don't think you really need to snazzy up a Bridge-view and seeing moving characters. People would settle for simplicity like seeing the OPS and CONN Consoles with UI info than seeing moving characters, well until you get ship's interiors completed.
Lt. Commander
# 10
08-29-2009, 03:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azurian View Post
Well these articles were better than the other article. :p

This I don't understand, John Eaves helped design several really cool starships for STO. Why throw them away?

Even though many of us saw what you mean, but perhaps it would be nice to have a Bridge view sometimes. For instance, navigating through the Planetary Rings and Asteroid Belts would be much easier. (Trust me!) And for the dialogue / storyline communication boxes from NPCs, some people might like to see it "on screen" and not as an annoying floating window.

BTW, I don't think you really need to snazzy up a Bridge-view and seeing moving characters. People would settle for simplicity like seeing the OPS and CONN Consoles with UI info than seeing moving characters, well until you get ship's interiors completed.
Oh they've used his designs, but with the ability to reconfigure the look of your ship they've obviously had to modify them.