Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 41
08-27-2009, 09:34 AM
Is it just me or is the STO logo a little off-centre?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 42
08-27-2009, 10:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by McItoshi View Post
It looks real good !

It may be a little lacking in colour, but it is a desktop background and havent we been told that we will be able to pick our ships colours and livery within set ranges . . just use your imagination for now
I respect your opinion but I couldn't disagree more.

I'm not paid to use my imagination. Cryptic is paid to use theirs. Fan made models for Bridge Commander are phenomenal and Cryptic comes up with this. And I read people saying that this was an answer to the community? Really? They've done this with almost every Federation ship. It's a low detail, boxy looking model with a poor level of finish.

Suffice it to say, I'm not impressed. And if you are, your theme song should be from a Mad TV skit called "Lowered Expectations". At least they got rid of those water landing struts or whatever they were.

The Excalibur still looks the sweetest by far.

Flame away.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 43
08-27-2009, 10:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorD View Post
The difference is accuracy, the Cryptic one doesn't try. It gets the basic form, and close coloring, but that's it, and that's what you're looking at, the broad strokes. The design is somewhat insulting because it strikes me as obvious that they're just trying to finish the models as fast as possible. The coloring, greebling, and physical shaping are the things which make the Defiant a great model, not just the broad strokes. By completely missing those aspects, the majority of what makes the Defiant a great ship has been left out. I might feel better if they were to just buy pre-existing models from random artists or from another game. Legacy was generally crappy, but its models were better than average, if memory serves. They should look into buying that game's models, or models from the Bridge Commander mod community.

Although, I like the desktop picture they made, the ship itself is merely interesting rather than excellent and that reduces the over all quality of the picture.


If Bridge Commander didn't have a Defiant, how could its Defiant possibly be better than STO's.:p
Meh. They aren't trying to exactly recreate every ship seen in the show. It wouldn't fit the overall style they set for the game. Notice how they're choosing bright, more solid colors. The lighting emphasizes this as well. Why, I don't know, but that's what they chose.

Also, those splashes of color and lines served no purpose. Any ship would be designed without those things unless the large green section actually served a purpose.

If you don't like the art style that's fine. But calling it low-quality is inaccurate. It's just a different style. Much like the styles of Vango, divinci, ect... all had different styles and would have painted a portrait very differently.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 44
08-27-2009, 11:09 AM
For those that are complaining about the "low poly" aspect... Give it a rest. The reason the defiant looks good in BC is because their artist was a dedicated talent that wasn't pushing a deadline (or nowhere near as hard as here in STO) When dealing with a mutitude of 24+ different ships, each of which being customizable, there's a lot of work to go through to make a early 2010 deadline, aside from platform stability, rigging, physics motion, hardpoint placements for every component of every ship that may at some point have a weapon, wreckage mech (if included) Interface refinement, troubleshooting, the list goes on

The material texture/gloss/metal effect is still well done. The only thing i see that is really missing is the Registry number, wich if anyone's noticed has almost always been NX 91001 on the recent video with a glimpse of 1701-D which i'm sure would be fixed when beta starts

The game is meant to handle 80+ ships on screen at once plus engine and weapon effects, not to mention away team character meshes and terrain polys. The fewer polys you have, the less a card has to crunch overall.

Some of us have high quality graphics cards that would be able to handle 120+ ships in a single beat, where most of us do not. So if you have one of those cards, i'm jealous i can't afford to put down 250+ on a graphics card. With time we could hope for HD quality graphics for those advanced cards. But right now, cryptic is in development for the average machine so everyone at least has a chance to play before upping the graphics.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 45
08-27-2009, 11:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenger_Dragon View Post
The game is meant to handle 80+ ships on screen at once plus engine and weapon effects, not to mention away team character meshes and terrain polys. The fewer polys you have, the less a card has to crunch overall.
Don't even bother trying to run a "its for the sake of hardware requirements" debate. Equipement to run games on "medium" settings(or high for MMO's) is cheap nowadays. I honestly highly doubt the detail level of the ships has anything to do with trying to keep system req's down(considering the high scalability of PC's this day in age). I personally would love to see the art director come out and say it is hardware related, I would be quite shocked.

Quote:
But right now, cryptic is in development for the average machine so everyone at least has a chance to play before upping the graphics.
I'm confused are you expecting Cryptic to just up and add more highly detailed "textures" to the game after release? (something akin to what Eve did years later?)
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 46
08-27-2009, 11:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenger_Dragon View Post
For those that are complaining about the "low poly" aspect... Give it a rest. The reason the defiant looks good in BC is because their artist was a dedicated talent that wasn't pushing a deadline (or nowhere near as hard as here in STO) When dealing with a mutitude of 24+ different ships, each of which being customizable, there's a lot of work to go through to make a early 2010 deadline, aside from platform stability, rigging, physics motion, hardpoint placements for every component of every ship that may at some point have a weapon, wreckage mech (if included) Interface refinement, troubleshooting, the list goes on

The material texture/gloss/metal effect is still well done. The only thing i see that is really missing is the Registry number, wich if anyone's noticed has almost always been NX 91001 on the recent video with a glimpse of 1701-D which i'm sure would be fixed when beta starts

The game is meant to handle 80+ ships on screen at once plus engine and weapon effects, not to mention away team character meshes and terrain polys. The fewer polys you have, the less a card has to crunch overall.

Some of us have high quality graphics cards that would be able to handle 120+ ships in a single beat, where most of us do not. So if you have one of those cards, i'm jealous i can't afford to put down 250+ on a graphics card. With time we could hope for HD quality graphics for those advanced cards. But right now, cryptic is in development for the average machine so everyone at least has a chance to play before upping the graphics.
Quote:
Originally Posted by loyaltrekie View Post
Don't even bother trying to run a "its for the sake of hardware requirements" debate. Equipement to run games on "medium" settings(or high for MMO's) is cheap nowadays. I honestly highly doubt the detail level of the ships has anything to do with trying to keep system req's down(considering the high scalability of PC's this day in age). I personally would love to see the art director come out and say it is hardware related, I would be quite shocked.



I'm confused are you expecting Cryptic to just up and add more highly detailed "textures" to the game after release? (something akin to what Eve did years later?)
Thank you. It's not as expensive as it used to be and it's entirely reasonable to expect better than this. I hope to God that this texture and detail thing get looked at and improved so I can experience the suspension of disbelief which is a recquirement when watching or playing trek. It's what helps make it so immersive.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 47
08-27-2009, 11:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenger_Dragon View Post
For those that are complaining about the "low poly" aspect... Give it a rest. The reason the defiant looks good in BC is because their artist was a dedicated talent that wasn't pushing a deadline (or nowhere near as hard as here in STO) When dealing with a mutitude of 24+ different ships, each of which being customizable, there's a lot of work to go through to make a early 2010 deadline, aside from platform stability, rigging, physics motion, hardpoint placements for every component of every ship that may at some point have a weapon, wreckage mech (if included) Interface refinement, troubleshooting, the list goes on

The material texture/gloss/metal effect is still well done. The only thing i see that is really missing is the Registry number, wich if anyone's noticed has almost always been NX 91001 on the recent video with a glimpse of 1701-D which i'm sure would be fixed when beta starts

The game is meant to handle 80+ ships on screen at once plus engine and weapon effects, not to mention away team character meshes and terrain polys. The fewer polys you have, the less a card has to crunch overall.

Some of us have high quality graphics cards that would be able to handle 120+ ships in a single beat, where most of us do not. So if you have one of those cards, i'm jealous i can't afford to put down 250+ on a graphics card. With time we could hope for HD quality graphics for those advanced cards. But right now, cryptic is in development for the average machine so everyone at least has a chance to play before upping the graphics.
Nope, that's wrong.
The texture on the model is just an image. Doesn't matter what they draw on it, it'll still require the same hardware level. Unless they put in lots of shinyness and fancy glows.


Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post
Thank you. It's not as expensive as it used to be and it's entirely reasonable to expect better than this. I hope to God that this texture and detail thing get looked at and improved so I can experience the suspension of disbelief which is a recquirement when watching or playing trek. It's what helps make it so immersive.
You won't. This is the art style of the whole game.

Now, if I had to guess, I'd say it was done for customization ability more so then anything else. On most ships, you have several pieces you can swap out and change. As such, each piece must be it's own model with it's own texture. Unless the artist and modeler wants to make a ship for each possible combination.
At 3 types of ships per tier and 3 ships per type and say... 3 main parts per ship, (Saucer, hull, warp engines) that's 27 different ships you could make per type. (3 saucers * 3 hull * 3 warp engines). Not to mention all the different skins we can have, like classic Constitution. (which was shown I think) Now, to help ensure that all the parts fit together in a seemless fashion, you must make sure the textures match and line up. Best way to do this is to make the texture base a more solid color and to leave out intricate, detail lines.

Of course, they could just like solid, bright colors and lots of glow. You can't really argue personal taste.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 48
08-27-2009, 11:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordDave View Post
Of course, they could just like solid, bright colors and lots of glow. You can't really argue personal taste.
+1 for truth.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 49
08-27-2009, 11:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by loyaltrekie View Post
+1 for truth.
Actually, now that I think about it, a lot of the buildings are glow centric. Even the Klingon Fortress has red glows abundant among the stone wall.

So yes, STO is going to be very bright.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 50
08-27-2009, 11:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordDave View Post
Actually, now that I think about it, a lot of the buildings are glow centric. Even the Klingon Fortress has red glows abundant among the stone wall.

So yes, STO is going to be very bright.
If you look at most of the current content we have been shown most things have a "glow". Remember all the discussion on the ground screens about all the glow. I think its just one of their art team members favorite effects.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:31 PM.