Go Back   Star Trek Online > Test Servers > Tribble - Announcements and Release Notes
Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
02-02-2012, 08:44 PM
wait they are going to nerf the field generator after a whole year of it being in game or more??? i mean jesus.
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-02-2012, 09:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHappyJoyJoy View Post
Why stop at Science and Engineering? We know they have the tech to make universal consoles. They're trying to sell us enough of them to make that readily apparent. They should just do that. Make the Field Generator console a Universal since it functions more on a par with the other universal consoles than it does with the standard ones.

Simple fix for all the people who had theirs overflowed, and all the people who want to have it as a Science console too. It also means they don't have to worry about how that console stacks against other options, since it would be a universal one and they've never been particularly balanced anyway.

A fix that actually solves problems.

Then, perhaps, it would be time to find a way to deal with what is actually wrong with Science consoles as opposed to what was recently done to them which ultimately ignores the actual problem which was clearly expressed in pages and pages of feedback.
That would work even better and would probably actually be simpler (the code already exists as you stated). Good point as usual.
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-02-2012, 11:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruis.In View Post
wait they are going to nerf the field generator after a whole year of it being in game or more??? i mean jesus.
Dude that's not even the half of it. They have reworked sector space, ground combat, crafting at least twice, the entire economy, and the handfull (3) of end game missions All inside of 2 years of STO being launched. More time is spent reworking existing game mechanics than anything else. This company has serious time management issues.
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-02-2012, 11:35 PM
--No comment--

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroniusRex
We will be bringing the Tribble server down for maintenance to apply a new update.
ST.17.20120129b.9

General:
  • Slipstream can again only be used in sector space.
  • Reverted Console - Science - Field Generator, Shield HP Consoles, to modify shield HP instead of granting Starship Shield System skill points.
    • Values will now be identical to the original console.
    • This console still goes into Science console slot.
    • This is a temporary fix and the console will eventually go back to using Starship Shield System skill points.
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-03-2012, 01:11 AM
Oh, and I have to add regarding the information issued with the last set of patch notes, and how it pertains to this temporary fix, specifically why it is planned to be temporary...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroniusRex
I checked with Captain Gecko for some clarification.

Previously, the consoles granted shield HP directly. Now they update the Skill, which in turn grants shield HP. The benefit to this is that it makes it easier to see the benefits, because they will show up in your passive stats.
Zero, could you go back and ask Geko one simple question:
"How in the Nine Hells does +X skill points make it easier to see the benefits of a console?"
If I say, "Hey, this dohicky adds +35% to your shield capacity!" then everyone knows what that means. They can see the benefit just looking at the tooltip. The capacity of your shields go up 35%. It's simple. It is, in fact, plain English (and yes, I know you folks Cryptic have an aversion to that, explaining the vast majority of your tooltips and stat screens over the years, but the rest of us mostly like it.... just FYI).

The thing is, +X skill points... means nothing. If I say to someone it gives +40 skill points in Shield Systems that tells them literally nothing. They need to know what that skill does, beyond that they need to know where that skill currently lies, and what kind of bonus 40 points at that level will equal out to. Essentially it's contextual gibberish. It is spectacularly less clear and if you see it in a vendor window you almost certainly don't really know what specific numerical advantage you're buying. It is what we in these parts (which I like to call "The Real World") like to refer to as "Mind ****ingly Counter-Intuitive."

If the goal is to make this more transparent (which, to be frank, should ALWAYS be the goal) then the entire idea behind making this a skill modifier is... just... a massive ****ing failure at the conceptual level.

Oh, and as long as I'm discussing the last patch, could someone please do something about the UI guy? It really doesn't need to be reworked once every two weeks with various buttons added and subtracted seemingly with the sole purpose of fighting off this individual's boredom. If this person is doing nothing but pointless changes because there is nothing else for them to do then they should either be fired to moved to a project where they are actually needed. Apparently this game can get by with a part-time UI person, a full-time one is proving itself to be massive overkill and frequently detrimental (as the changes are often not for the better).

Also, the first thing you could have the new part-time guy can do is fix something the current full-time guy borked (apparently because he couldn't find anything else to do so he had to resort to breaking something): shrink the buy inventory space button by about 50%. It's more than twice the size of the other buttons in the inventory window and causes it to scroll sideways with a blank space at the side when set to the smallest width. It is ridiculously annoying, and didn't used to do that. The window now takes up more of the screen than it used to, and does so with useless blank space. I don't need dead space in my UI obscuring the actual game.
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-03-2012, 01:17 AM
They have to make the PVP babies happy. They don't care about the PVE players at all. NERF hammer is out in force. MACO Shields might as well not be equiped they are so useless now when combined with the slap to the face of engineers by taking one of the best consoles away from us with no compensation for overflow of SCI consoles with no slots for them.
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-03-2012, 01:28 AM
How is this the fault of PvPers? They actually protested the console change more than anyone else.

As far as Maco goes, the resistance was bugged, giving 90% instead of 10%. PvPers first noticed this and pointed it out, and it was rightly changed. Sorry if you were using it as a crutch.
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-03-2012, 01:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHappyJoyJoy View Post
Oh, and I have to add regarding the information issued with the last set of patch notes, and how it pertains to this temporary fix, specifically why it is planned to be temporary...

Zero, could you go back and ask Geko one simple question:
"How in the Nine Hells does +X skill points make it easier to see the benefits of a console?"
If I say, "Hey, this dohicky adds +35% to your shield capacity!" then everyone knows what that means. They can see the benefit just looking at the tooltip. The capacity of your shields go up 35%. It's simple. It is, in fact, plain English (and yes, I know you folks Cryptic have an aversion to that, explaining the vast majority of your tooltips and stat screens over the years, but the rest of us mostly like it.... just FYI).

The thing is, +X skill points... means nothing. If I say to someone it gives +40 skill points in Shield Systems that tells them literally nothing. They need to know what that skill does, beyond that they need to know where that skill currently lies, and what kind of bonus 40 points at that level will equal out to. Essentially it's contextual gibberish. It is spectacularly less clear and if you see it in a vendor window you almost certainly don't really know what specific numerical advantage you're buying. It is what we in these parts (which I like to call "The Real World") like to refer to as "Mind ****ingly Counter-Intuitive."

If the goal is to make this more transparent (which, to be frank, should ALWAYS be the goal) then the entire idea behind making this a skill modifier is... just... a massive ****ing failure at the conceptual level.

Oh, and as long as I'm discussing the last patch, could someone please do something about the UI guy? It really doesn't need to be reworked once every two weeks with various buttons added and subtracted seemingly with the sole purpose of fighting off this individual's boredom. If this person is doing nothing but pointless changes because there is nothing else for them to do then they should either be fired to moved to a project where they are actually needed. Apparently this game can get by with a part-time UI person, a full-time one is proving itself to be massive overkill and frequently detrimental (as the changes are often not for the better).

Also, the first thing you could have the new part-time guy can do is fix something the current full-time guy borked (apparently because he couldn't find anything else to do so he had to resort to breaking something): shrink the buy inventory space button by about 50%. It's more than twice the size of the other buttons in the inventory window and causes it to scroll sideways with a blank space at the side when set to the smallest width. It is ridiculously annoying, and didn't used to do that. The window now takes up more of the screen than it used to, and does so with useless blank space. I don't need dead space in my UI obscuring the actual game.

They should do like in other MMOs where you can immediately see changes when you add or remove an item. So if you add / remove a console, off to the left you will see various ship stats and their new values. And along with those values the increase of the function.

But in STO as it is now, you have to go to all sorts of windows to even see those changes.
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-03-2012, 02:16 AM
The diliffium store doesn't have any blue MK XI antiproton cunsoles either, by the way. The button for the diliffium store is awesum though, nice add!

About the science cunsole for shield HP or shield system ... what's the difference?! Sorry, I'm missing sumfin.
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-03-2012, 02:32 AM
i agree.. leave the console as is. forget that skill point garbage.