Lt. Commander
# 1 Cannot Transfer Character..
04-30-2011, 04:36 PM
Hey,

I just bought this game and I keep on getting an error message that says "Couldn't Transfer Character". This is really bothering me because I can't even get through the intro video without being disconnected from the server and when I skip the video i always get this Cannot transfer character message. Is there anything that can be done to help me out? I would very much appreciate it.

Thanks

Rabs.
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-30-2011, 10:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmd.Tarz
Hey,

I just bought this game and I keep on getting an error message that says "Couldn't Transfer Character". This is really bothering me because I can't even get through the intro video without being disconnected from the server and when I skip the video i always get this Cannot transfer character message. Is there anything that can be done to help me out? I would very much appreciate it.

Thanks

Rabs.
stupid question: do you have a reliable internet connection? It sounds like your connection can't handle STO.
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-03-2011, 04:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACES_HIGH View Post
stupid question: do you have a reliable internet connection? It sounds like your connection can't handle STO.
Wrong. Long standing bug. Still occurs now-days when there is lots of ppl in that particular zone. Or sth else. If he had problem with internet connection he would get disconnected, not transfer error. Transfer errors are totally server side.
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-03-2011, 04:46 PM
Is the error message occuring before or after the tutorial? Does it occur after you create your character? If so, make sure you do not use a saved costume as this will sometimes cause this error to occur.
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-09-2011, 08:53 AM
im bumping this because i to am new and getting the exact same error. i downloaded the demo last night and patched it fine this morning. i made a character fine. the intro played fine and when it came to the point of me actually starting to play "cant transfer character". i am a veteran of many mmo's for over 12 years starting with eq original and i must say this is the lamest start to ANY mmo i have EVER seen. i have also seen the deaths of earth and beyond, auto assault, the matrix etc. i suggest to the devs if you want this game to survive you could at least have the game working after a freaking year, lol please, NOT impressed!
Lt. Commander
# 6
05-10-2011, 11:34 AM
I am also getting the same error. Frankly I'm surprised that after purchasing the game and a subscription that I cannot connect to a server in the middle of Tuesday afternoon (ET). In case anyone asks, I see a message at the top of the website indicating that the server is up with a little green dot next to it.

If I am unable to connect within 48 hours I don't see any recourse but to ask for my money back. Does Atari really want to lose customers like this?

To recap:
-Downloaded demo
-purchased "Digital Deluxe" version in online store (didn't download anything, should I have?)
-Created character
-Received "Couldn't Transfer Character" after watching the intro video
-Tried to activate product key through online account interface
-Logged in and tried again - same error message after watching video a second time
-Went back to account interface on the website. Noticed key still wasn't activated, so I assumed I needed to purchase a subscription
-Purchased subscription and that is now showing as active on my account information
-Tried logging in again, watched the video a third time (having to watch this video is really grating on my nerves now) and received the same error message.
-Went to forums and didn't see any solutions
-Posted this message.

Update: Apparently character creation is bugged in some way. I deleted my original character and created a new one using only the default options and I can now access the game.
Lt. Commander
# 7
05-10-2011, 01:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kengaras View Post
Update: Apparently character creation is bugged in some way. I deleted my original character and created a new one using only the default options and I can now access the game.
Sickening. What a letdown for someone coming in to STO.
Lt. Commander
# 8 problem solved
05-11-2011, 09:37 AM
to bypass this error. DONT save anything when you are creating a character just keep hitting "next" and then that char wont get the error. it seems to only happen if you hit the "save" button during character creation. this is a bug that should of been fixed days after release, not years.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-02-2012, 04:04 PM
I'm just now getting the same error message on mine. I've had this account for almost 6 months now. If I lose everything now, I'll be soooo ****ed. How is it, on their 2 year anniversary they still have this issue!?
Lt. Commander
# 10 in reply to Aces_high
02-02-2012, 07:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACES_HIGH View Post
there are no stupid questions, only stupid answers