Quote:
Originally Posted by AKMalaka
TY Duaths Have a Great Day
ty you too
i think now as i cant play i have to do some fourrier transforms in matlab
Lt. Commander
# 22
02-03-2012, 12:31 AM
You mean CO and STO are on the same server as that is why it is called shard?
Lt. Commander
# 23
02-03-2012, 12:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Age01 View Post
You mean CO and STO are on the same server as that is why it is called shard?
Nope nope, CO and STO run on multiple servers each. Shard means the server version (lack of better word) ie "Holodeck".
Lt. Commander
# 24
02-03-2012, 12:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaNippers View Post
I realize that you all are busting your tails off to continue to keep the game new and fun, and largely you guys are doing a great job, but these every day events where both CO and STO go down is beginning to make me wonder why I payed for 3 months of a game I can't play when I most feel the desire to.

I don't mean to sound miffed, but it just frustrates me to see a problem that has a simple solution get a simple fix that could allow everyone to be happy with the least damage to anyone.
There is no "simple fix" here - you move the maintenance window, you just make different people upset. And please don't take this as being specifically directed at YOU as an individual, but as a response to a trend.

I've been VERY reluctant to post on the forums any more for many reasons, but of of them is this sense of entitlement that has been slowly growing. "How can you take the game down when I want to play? That's not fair!!! I paid to play and... blahblahblah..."

Well, I paid to play, too. And while alternating the times of maintenance to spread around the down time a bit is a nice thought, you also have to consider many things. First, these guys are in California and they don't work 24/7. They have lives and families, too. The European players who have moaned and groaned about the maintenance in "their" gameplay window want it moved to some time which would be ridiculous for the people who work at Cryptic.

Second - clearly, they patch and do maintenance at the times they do for good reasons which I don't think are too hard to figure out: if something goes wrong, they have the whole workday to try and get it fixed. If you want them to patch at 3pm PST, then I think some people should look forward to the fact that really serious bugs that occasionally creep into patches are going to be there all night, because after patching they're going to be punching out and going home to, you know, maybe spend time with their spouses and children and friends - and personally, I'd rather the game NOT be unplayable for 12 hours because no one is there to fix it.

To demand they schedule maintenance outside of their working hours is like demanding the grocery store stay open all night because you need milk after you get off work at 11pm. It may not be a precise analogy, but you should get the point. We are talking about a small number of people demanding a change for THEIR convenience which inconveniences not only other players, but the Cryptic staff as well. It's one thing to have some extraordinarily dedicated people who voluntarily choose to stay after hours to deal with things at times; it's another altogether to tell them they aren't allowed to go home.

I've got an idea - all the people who are upset that Cryptic does maintenance during Cryptic's business hours - why don't you tell your employer that you need to work completely different hours because the time zone that Cryptic Studios is in doesn't fit properly with when you work? Or better yet, if the game being down is so inconvenient because it falls into the 6pm-9pm window in your time zone, why don't you look into moving to the west coast of the USA? Problem solved!

Yeah, that's sarcasm.

I'm just really tired of a very dedicated and hard-working group like the Cryptic devs and staff catching crap constantly because of the necessity for maintenance windows and patches. It's beyond outrageous.

And the worst part? Several of the maintenance cycles lately have meant that I have missed out on being able to play. I've missed turns because of mission cooldowns expiring during maintenance windows. I've missed events. I've missed topping out my dilithium for the day. It's a pain in the arse.

But you know what?

I'm a grownup, and I deal with it without pitching a hissy-fit every time I'm inconvenienced by a GAME.

I enjoy STO. I spend a fair bit of time here. I'm a lifetime member. I have multiple characters, and my daughter is also a paying "Gold" subscriber. I admit it - a portion of my daily activity revolves around this game, and it really sucks when my routine is disrupted. I also enjoy watching hockey. Sometimes, my favourite team plays in different time zones, and I miss those games. Should I call them up and demand that they reschedule so that I can be assured of seeing every one?

I don't agree with every change that's gone on with this property. There's actually a lot that I've been unhappy with, especially in the management of some aspects of the game and the ownership changes. I'm no apologist when it comes to the things they've done wrong (which is always a matter of opinion). However, I see the Cryptic folks often bending over backwards to try and accommodate the individuals who complain the loudest, only to be kicked in the teeth by the fact that they made things worse for the people who WEREN'T complaining (which is often the majority).

I'm not sure what people want, exactly - but I know what they are going to get: a bunch of burnt-out people at Cryptic looking for a way out because no matter what they do, they can't do anything without SOMEone coming along and slamming them. I've worked in that kind of environment before, and sooner or later all you think about is wanting to go home (no more extra hours put in), and then you start thinking about wanting to quit. And if you think this game would be better off without these guys, just wait - every new person who comes in isn't going to be a Tumerboy who is clearly devoted to his job and talking to the community - and that's assuming you haven't already poisoned the well from which they would draw talent with the incessant complaining about just about anything you can think of to complain about.

This needs to be said, and it needs to be said more often by more people:
Thank you, Cryptic. Thanks for making this game, thanks for working hard to expand it. Thanks for the work you've done in improving it. Thanks for the Featured Episodes you've made, and the ones you'll make in the future. Thanks for the Foundry. And most of all, thank you for putting up with a lot of crap from this community when you really didn't have to. Thank you for your dedication.
Lt. Commander
# 25
02-03-2012, 12:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBair
There is no "simple fix" here - you move the maintenance window, you just make different people upset. And please don't take this as being specifically directed at YOU as an individual, but as a response to a trend.

I've been VERY reluctant to post on the forums any more for many reasons, but of of them is this sense of entitlement that has been slowly growing. "How can you take the game down when I want to play? That's not fair!!! I paid to play and... blahblahblah..."

Well, I paid to play, too. And while alternating the times of maintenance to spread around the down time a bit is a nice thought, you also have to consider many things. First, these guys are in California and they don't work 24/7. They have lives and families, too. The European players who have moaned and groaned about the maintenance in "their" gameplay window want it moved to some time which would be ridiculous for the people who work at Cryptic.

Second - clearly, they patch and do maintenance at the times they do for good reasons which I don't think are too hard to figure out: if something goes wrong, they have the whole workday to try and get it fixed. If you want them to patch at 3pm PST, then I think some people should look forward to the fact that really serious bugs that occasionally creep into patches are going to be there all night, because after patching they're going to be punching out and going home to, you know, maybe spend time with their spouses and children and friends - and personally, I'd rather the game NOT be unplayable for 12 hours because no one is there to fix it.

To demand they schedule maintenance outside of their working hours is like demanding the grocery store stay open all night because you need milk after you get off work at 11pm. It may not be a precise analogy, but you should get the point. We are talking about a small number of people demanding a change for THEIR convenience which inconveniences not only other players, but the Cryptic staff as well. It's one thing to have some extraordinarily dedicated people who voluntarily choose to stay after hours to deal with things at times; it's another altogether to tell them they aren't allowed to go home.

I've got an idea - all the people who are upset that Cryptic does maintenance during Cryptic's business hours - why don't you tell your employer that you need to work completely different hours because the time zone that Cryptic Studios is in doesn't fit properly with when you work? Or better yet, if the game being down is so inconvenient because it falls into the 6pm-9pm window in your time zone, why don't you look into moving to the west coast of the USA? Problem solved!

Yeah, that's sarcasm.

I'm just really tired of a very dedicated and hard-working group like the Cryptic devs and staff catching crap constantly because of the necessity for maintenance windows and patches. It's beyond outrageous.

And the worst part? Several of the maintenance cycles lately have meant that I have missed out on being able to play. I've missed turns because of mission cooldowns expiring during maintenance windows. I've missed events. I've missed topping out my dilithium for the day. It's a pain in the arse.

But you know what?

I'm a grownup, and I deal with it without pitching a hissy-fit every time I'm inconvenienced by a GAME.

I enjoy STO. I spend a fair bit of time here. I'm a lifetime member. I have multiple characters, and my daughter is also a paying "Gold" subscriber. I admit it - a portion of my daily activity revolves around this game, and it really sucks when my routine is disrupted. I also enjoy watching hockey. Sometimes, my favourite team plays in different time zones, and I miss those games. Should I call them up and demand that they should reschedule so that I can be assured of seeing every one?

I don't agree with every change that's gone on with this property. There's actually a lot that I've been unhappy with, especially in the management of some aspects of the game and the ownership changes. I'm no apologist when it comes to the things they've done wrong (which is always a matter of opinion). However, I see the Cryptic folks often bending over backwards to try and accommodate the individuals who complain the loudest, only to be kicked in the teeth by the fact that they made things worse for the people who WEREN'T complaining (which is often the majority).

I'm not sure what people want, exactly - but I know what they are going to get: a bunch of burnt-out people at Cryptic looking for a way out because no matter what they do, they can't do anything without SOMEone coming along and slamming them. I've worked in that kind of environment before, and sooner or later all you think about is wanting to go home (no more extra hours put in), and then you start thinking about wanting to quit. And if you think this game would be better off without these guys, just wait - every new person who comes in isn't going to be a Tumerboy who is clearly devoted to his job and talking to the community - and that's assuming you haven't already poisoned the well from which they would draw talent with the incessant complaining about just about anything you can think of to complain about.

Thank you, Cryptic. Thanks for making this game, thanks for working hard to improve it. Thanks for the work you've done in improving it. Thanks for the Featured Episodes you've made, and the ones you'll make in the future. Thanks for the Foundry. And most of all, thank you for putting up with a lot of crap from this community when you really didn't have to. Thank you for your dedication.

Thats the best post on this topic yet.

Kudo's..
Lt. Commander
# 26
02-03-2012, 12:52 AM
Downtime...**** happens.
Only prob I have with it....almost every day.
If certain things are urgent...**** happens...if it happens too often after almost each patch....QA is failing.

For everything else...keep up the good work...In general I enjoy the game a lot.

Regards,

Dirk
Lt. Commander
# 27
02-03-2012, 12:52 AM
Apart from the down time for maintenance i have been impressed by just how well the game has been running, i have not had any lagging or rubber banding like in the old days, and the quailty of the service has certainly improved leaps and bounds since PW took over.

And if that's a direct result of the daily few hours down time, then by all means continue.
Lt. Commander
# 28 New downtime
02-03-2012, 12:57 AM
Just going to put it out there. I liked the old maintenance window. I'm PST and usually only get to play once all the kids go to bed...around midnight...it's cool if 12am - 2am is the new downtime window but just wanted to throw my two cents in...I liked the old down time!
Lt. Commander
# 29
02-03-2012, 12:59 AM
Another factor to consider.

If a game company did not very often add major improvements and expansions to make the game better the result would be they would have very little downtime, or need for maintaince. Once its done then its done.

In other words the fact that these maintainence sessions are needed so frequently is a direct reflection on just how active Cryptic is in terms of improving the game and adding new things.

The frequent maintainance updates are the best evidence that STO is still an ongoing work in progress and I hope it says that way for a very long time.
Lt. Commander
# 30
02-03-2012, 01:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBair

Yeah, that's sarcasm.

But you know what?

I enjoy STO. I spend a fair bit of time here. I'm a lifetime member. I have multiple characters, and my daughter is also a paying "Gold" subscriber. I admit it - a portion of my daily activity revolves around this game, and it really sucks when my routine is disrupted. I also enjoy watching hockey. Sometimes, my favourite team plays in different time zones, and I miss those games. Should I call them up and demand that they reschedule so that I can be assured of seeing every one?

Thank you, Cryptic. Thanks for making this game, thanks for working hard to expand it. Thanks for the work you've done in improving it. Thanks for the Featured Episodes you've made, and the ones you'll make in the future. Thanks for the Foundry. And most of all, thank you for putting up with a lot of crap from this community when you really didn't have to. Thank you for your dedication.
Excellent post. Well put.
Closed Thread