Lt. Commander
# 1 Docking at ESD.
01-19-2012, 06:54 PM
Just a thought,
Everytime i watch a Star Trek movie or show where the starship enters space dock i think to my self wouldn't that be fun to pilot a ship into space dock. So when i started playing STO, and made my first aproach to ESD I thought to my self this is it im going to pilot a ship in to space dock. And to my surprise i was transported to the station as soon as my ship got to the main hanger doors.

So what im getting at here is why cant we pilot a ship "in" to space dock rather then up to space dock?
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-19-2012, 06:56 PM
That tech is not in the game yet. It's something they are considering, though. Most of the last year has been focused on the FTP conversion. Hopefully once all of that is behind them they can start focusing on a few more fan-friendly ideas like this.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-19-2012, 07:15 PM
Im glad to hear that they are considering it. I look forward to piloting in to ESD should it ever become part of the game.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-19-2012, 07:21 PM
I like this idea.

or, what about when it get's close it goes into computer control, and gets taken in and docked with an empty docking port inside.

also... DS9.
When docking, have it autopilot to an empty docking pylon (upper or lower) or an empty docking port on the docking ring. once attached, loadscreen bringing you inside, and to everyone outside, ship fades out.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-19-2012, 07:23 PM
Docking in ESD isn't even all that complicated. All they need to do is have you go into an Instance that looks like the inside of the station. The foundation for that was established in the Reman FE. So it's just a question of making the maps and systems needed to have it happen. It just takes manpower that is otherwise engaged right now.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-20-2012, 11:08 PM
It is something that I would think is very low on the priorities. Most people will still just dock as soon as they can. Its a nice "fluffy" feature but there are a million things more important.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-20-2012, 11:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SChutter
Im glad to hear that they are considering it. I look forward to piloting in to ESD should it ever become part of the game.
They are considering alot of cool things in fact... For some reason we never get to see them however.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-21-2012, 12:03 AM
I wwould love to see te ability to actually fly our ships into space dock on the fed side.. But its a bit of a luxury item thats going to require ESD enlarged. Honestly i'm not all that sure you can get a galaxy class through those space doors!.. Thats an awefully tight fit regardless!

Cryptic need to not be working on other things. Please please please.. Cryptic studio developer team for STO is really really small. There is so much that is frankly more important then this they MUST be working on. Its been pretty much engraved in stone (even if some say no, this year I am holding Cryptic to its word!) that we have two featued episode and the KDF progression revamp as a for ssure deal. That is a very great deal of work for such a small dev team. 2 FE amount to 12 highly detailed missions many with entirely new art assets and in some cases code work created. The KDF Revamp coould easily cover from 60 to 100 distinct missions if its going to be brought on par with Federation game play. KDF play is differnt from UFP play and thats fine, but be aware that there are over 200 possible seperate distinct missions availible to federation players not counting missions from featured episodes! KDF Players ccurrently have a very very small number of actuall missions and this is why the KDF faction hass been condensed to starting at level 20. Even levels 20 to 50 progression is condensed and much much faster then the federation through those ranks. A KDF player should be able to reach the level cap in less then half the time of a federation player starting at level 20.

Getting the KDF content in game to give players the experience of two full factions is far more important to the long term health of this title cosmetic tweaks to ESD at this time. KDF faction content has been put off for two years. It needs to be done. It will set up many other posibilities for growth in STO.. including fine tuning ESD in the future. It will make the facton more atrractive, aaid in retaining players, and provide the basis late this year and into 2013 to get started on a persistant teritorial PvP system and give us the war between the Federation and the KDF thats mearly a plot line and a poor justification for some "meh" arena style pvp that is currently in game. I want to see PvEvP play because not everyone is a leet PvP type.. toss some powerfull AI ships to take some of the heat off the not ready for prime time type PvP crowd so they can actually enjoy PvP without getting constantly pwn'd by a bunch of ill mannered chicken hawks who hunt em just to have large if meaningless kill count.

ESD pretty pretties will happen some day.. but lets keep the devs pointed at the important stuff first! After all, we're the ones paying for this!
Lt. Commander
# 9 Good thinking! May I add..
01-21-2012, 03:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khemaraa_Iron_Hand_KBF View Post
I wwould love to see te ability to actually fly our ships into space dock on the fed side.. But its a bit of a luxury item thats going to require ESD enlarged. Honestly i'm not all that sure you can get a galaxy class through those space doors!.. Thats an awefully tight fit regardless
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fq9pOkqa4Cc
If you have a look at this video, the first 2 seconds show the Galaxy-Class Enterprise-D just squeezing through the doors. I agree though, ESD its self will need to be enlarged, but the doors could stay (roughly) the same.

Also, it would be really awesome to have an option to have ESD tractor the ship through the doors. Then there could be a random event happen where the tractor beams break down/malfunction. This would be a great chance to pilot a starship inside the ESD docking area; and a great opportunity to make a little mini-game of sorts.

Anyway, good idea!
-Spacey
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-23-2012, 08:30 AM
Aye, right now you can either press dock at the start or if you want to take on the role of being captain further, come near the doors as it opens and you slow down to maneuvering thrusters. Then it stops just at the door. Hopefully? We can get even more elaborate than that, but little things like these are a novelty, aye. A good addition, especially for RPers such as myself.