Go Back   Star Trek Online > Support > Gameplay Bug Reports
Login

Notices

Closed Thread

Lt. Commander
# 11
02-03-2012, 11:01 AM
It was implemented to allow the players to silence true spammers, especially "gold sellers". Unfortunately, there are some people apparently abusing it, ganging up to silence people for silly/trivial/stupid reasons.

Assuming you really didn't say anything to provoke a legitimate silencing, your ticket will help them identify these people.

Other than that, there's not much we can do.

It would be nice if they'd modify it so a silenced person could still chat with fleet and send messages to their friends list only. Then if someone was "force-gagged", they could still at least play with people they know.
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-03-2012, 06:12 PM
Yeah, well I'm considering canceling my subscription and not coming back to this game. I mean I can't even move gear between my toons - pretty much my only use for the in game mail system.
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-03-2012, 07:29 PM
Hello,

I just want to let you know that QA will be looking into your issue soon, but must also remind you that bumping threads is not allowed. Please try to be patient while the team investigates the issue you're experiencing.

Cheers,

Alecto
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-04-2012, 08:40 AM
Apologies, I won't bump threads again. Thank-you for looking into this. As an aside, where would be an appropriate place to make suggestions regarding the silencing system? I have a few thoughts.
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-21-2012, 01:45 AM
This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies . ~Askray
Lt. Commander
Right. Being silenced for the second time without any reason given I feel compelled to speak out about this system. My understanding is that when people click "report spam" on a player's name in chat and some threshold is met, the player is automatically silenced. If I am incorrect, someone please correct me on that. Based on my assumptions and what I know from being silenced myself I have several points to make:

1) Players should not ever have this kind of power over other players. Irrespective of the fact that the entire system appears to be woefully unmonitored, players simply should not be able to do this to other players under any circumstances. It is far to open to abuse, as I have experienced. A quick search of your forums and google finds countless cases of people suffering from other players abusing this system. This is simply unacceptable

2) It is stupidly far-reaching. When silenced I cannot chat with my fleet, I cannot chat with my friends. I cannot even send mail to my own account (which I use extensively for transferring items, resources, etc). These things should remain available to a player in all circumstances. The first time I was silence I had no idea what was happening and I was unable to seek any help or advice from my fleet or people I knew. I was ready to quit the game right there.

3) Lack of warnings or reason given. You are silenced immediately with no warning for what is happening. You receive no notice informing you why you have been silenced. This makes it impossible to even know what you have done wrong (if you have done anything at all) or what you have been reported for, and what to avoid to prevent it happening again. This is mind-blowingly dense, although I suppose given that it automatic and prone to abuse there often exists no reason except for the silencing beyond malicious players and moronic system design.

4) No right of reply or appeal. It took nine days - NINE DAYS - for a GM to even respond to my initial ticket trying to find out what had happened, and the reply was unreadable. 18 days later and this issue still has not been resolved. I hold out little hope for finding out anything regarding my most recent silencing. GMs should be immediately available to sort out unfair silencings, especially to paying gold account holders. Trying to play while silenced is insufferably frustrating, and being met with over a week without reply from GMs is worse. The person/s reporting the spam should at least be immediately available to a GM if not the player affected.

I personally believe the system should be turned off straight away. The lack of forethought and checks present in this system is nearly impossible to fathom. To combat spam the system ought to be replaced by a system of referral. Players reporting spam should send a log of some sort to a GM to decide whether silencing is appropriate. It is inconceivable how anyone thought that allowing players this power over each other is in any way a good idea. Failing that the points above need to be addressed to make this system even remotely sane and fair. In the meantime I try and decide whether I keep playing this game or withdraw my subscription completely.

This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies . ~Askray
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-21-2012, 06:08 AM
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-21-2012, 07:19 AM
This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies . ~ Suricata
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-21-2012, 07:31 AM
umm, getting into a shoving match with a Moderator will get you silenced on the forums also,
Closed Thread