Lt. Commander
Hi, I was considering getting myself a lifetime subscription. But I had a few questions that need to be answered before I commit myself.

1) I already bought the "1 Billion Energy Credits" upgrade for my account. Seeing that lifetime subscribers are considered "gold" members, that means they already get the above-mentioned upgrade for free. So will I get a refund of the Cryptic points I spent on this upgrade?

2) I am concerned about the viability of STO over the long term. Are there any guarantees that further content will be added to the game?

Also, are there any guarantees that this game will even exist 20 months from now? ($300 divided by $15 = 20 months playtime)

3) When would the best time to buy a subscription be?
I know the regular price is $300 and it is currently $240. But I am planning on holding out until it reverts to $200 (or lower) as it once did.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-31-2012, 12:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by selfctrl
1) I already bought the "1 Billion Energy Credits" upgrade for my account. Seeing that lifetime subscribers are considered "gold" members, that means they already get the above-mentioned upgrade for free. So will I get a refund of the Cryptic points I spent on this upgrade?
No.

Quote:
2) I am concerned about the viability of STO over the long term. Are there any guarantees that further content will be added to the game?
No.

Quote:
Also, are there any guarantees that this game will even exist 20 months from now? ($300 divided by $15 = 20 months playtime)
No.

Quote:
3) When would the best time to buy a subscription be?.
When the answers to your previous questions are 'yes,' then that would be a good time to maybe consider an LTS. And even that is a stretch.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-31-2012, 12:58 PM
Quote:
Hi, I was considering getting myself a lifetime subscription. But I had a few questions that need to be answered before I commit myself.

No.

Quote:

No and no. As the saying goes, there are no guarantees in life.

Quote:
That's a question only you can answer. No guarantees it will ever be on sale for less. Honestly, if you only plan on playing 1 or 2 characters, it's better to just stay silver and buy the individual upgrades. Break even seems to be somewhere around 4 or 5 characters. With that many, it is better to pay sub/lifetime than to buy the upgrades individually.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-31-2012, 12:58 PM
In all honesty, if you have any doubts about the lifetime, don't. I bought mine at launch, so I'm happy with that purchase, even if the game dies tomorrow. I'd be upset if it died tomorrow, but I'd have t least gotten my money's worth. It might be better for you to stay a gold, or silver member.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-31-2012, 01:13 PM
I had my worries when I purchased my lifetime, but that was all at the launch of the game. Similar to now, people didn't know where or how long STO was going to last. Personally I think now that STO is under Perfect World I don't think the game is going to sink anytime soon. When I picked up mine I looked at it as an investment. Being a huge Star Trek fan myself I could see myself playing the game for as long as it was possible to do so, and considering what I've dropped on **** over the past 5 years I played it it was well worth the investment. Since then I've already paid off my initial investment and am just playing the game. I'll pick up some C-Points here and there if I find something in the C-Store I just can't live without, but otherwise i'm plenty happy with it.

As with all things, nothing is ever set in stone, so my suggestion would be is to ask yourself one question? Do I see myself playing this game for an extended period of time? (ie Year and a half or so) because that's about how long it would take to pay off the initial investment. If you don't feel comfortable enough with the game, continue to pay the subscription.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-31-2012, 01:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinumbar
That's a question only you can answer. No guarantees it will ever be on sale for less. Honestly, if you only plan on playing 1 or 2 characters, it's better to just stay silver and buy the individual upgrades. Break even seems to be somewhere around 4 or 5 characters. With that many, it is better to pay sub/lifetime than to buy the upgrades individually.
Well, I am not too fussed about losing my C-Points on the "1 Billion Energy Credit Increase". But it would be nice if I could get them refunded or returned to me.

I just want to play as a Borg. That is the only reason I even considered the lifetime subscription option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AviKerensky View Post
In all honesty, if you have any doubts about the lifetime, don't. I bought mine at launch, so I'm happy with that purchase, even if the game dies tomorrow. I'd be upset if it died tomorrow, but I'd have t least gotten my money's worth. It might be better for you to stay a gold, or silver member.
Yeah, my main worry is that I buy the subscription today for $240 (for example) and the game dies and the servers shut down in say 4 months or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahn View Post
As with all things, nothing is ever set in stone, so my suggestion would be is to ask yourself one question? Do I see myself playing this game for an extended period of time? (ie Year and a half or so) because that's about how long it would take to pay off the initial investment. If you don't feel comfortable enough with the game, continue to pay the subscription.
Well yeah, I would continue playing STO indefinitely. But that is assuming that additional content is made (or expansion packs sold).
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-31-2012, 01:25 PM
Quote:
Well, I am not too fussed about losing my C-Points on the "1 Billion Energy Credit Increase". But it would be nice if I could get them refunded or returned to me.

I just want to play as a Borg. That is the only reason I even considered the lifetime subscription option.

Yeah, my main worry is that I buy the subscription today for $240 (for example) and the game dies and the servers shut down in say 4 months or something.

Well yeah, I would continue playing STO indefinitely. But that is assuming that additional content is made (or expansion packs sold).
The Liberated Borg is pretty cool, but nothing all that special about it. Honestly I only have 1 of them and the rest of my captains are all various other races. To each his own though...

One thing to also consider is that historically they have put the Lifetime sub on sale, so you may keep your eye out for that. It may not seem like such a money sink at that point.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-31-2012, 01:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahn View Post
The Liberated Borg is pretty cool, but nothing all that special about it. Honestly I only have 1 of them and the rest of my captains are all various other races. To each his own though...

One thing to also consider is that historically they have put the Lifetime sub on sale, so you may keep your eye out for that. It may not seem like such a money sink at that point.
I hear that borg characters are superior due to the "Borg Nanites" and "Efficient Captain" traits. I know that "Efficient Captain" can also be selected with other races, but "Borg Nanites" is exclusive.

Oh well, I guess I will be waiting until it goes on sale for $200 (or less).
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-31-2012, 01:40 PM
Quote:
I'd have to say that this one is a toss-up between

a) Two years ago before the game launched.

..and...

b) Never.
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-31-2012, 01:45 PM
I play a Borg, on both factions. They're fun, but they're not worth the $300 by themselves. If that's the only thing you want out of the Lifetime, don't do that.