Lt. Commander
# 1 More New Assignment Ideas
02-03-2012, 06:30 AM
Just to throw some new DO assignment ideas out there. Some of them hopefully useful, others maybe just cool ideas.

Shipboard Development (Fed) - "Collect Stray Tribbles" - "There are stray tribbles in the cargo hold. Assign a crewmember to find and collect them" - Costs 1 unit of Provisions - +Critical: Aggressive, Stubborn; +Success: Chef, Bartender - Awards 1 common tribble - Mortality: None.

Shipboard Development (KDF) - "Hunt Dangerous Vermin" - "There is a cannibal tribble loose on the ship. Assign a crewmember to hunt down and destroy the little vermin." - Costs 1 cannibal tribble - +Critical: Aggressive, Resilient; +Success: Security Officer, Assault Squad - Mortality: Medium.

Shipboard Engineering (Both) - "Improve Replicator Efficiency" - +Critical: Logical; +Success: Fabrication Engineer, Technician - Awards commodity

Shipboard Science (Both) - "Experimental Transwarp Modification" - +Critical: Logical; +Success: Warp Theorist - Awards a single-use Transwarp "token". (Remember those Transwarp powers we were supposed to be able to get from Ambassadors voting once-upon-a-time?)

Sector Exploration (Both) - "Investigate Anomalous Wormhole" - +Success: Astrometrics Scientist - Awards a single-use Transwarp "token" (See above)

NOTE: About this Transwarp "token" idea... Rather than hooking them up to a standard Transwarp location, I'd like to see these work for Exploration sectors, like a Transwarp to the Hromi Cluster, for example.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-03-2012, 11:36 AM
Shipboard Recruitment (Both) - "Duty Rotation" - "Assign crewmember for duty rotation to another command" - Requires 1 Duty Officer - +Blue: Efficient; +Green: Efficient. Lose assigned duty officer, awards a random duty officer, chance of getting a Green or Blue one.

Shipboard Development (KDF) - "Brawl in Mess Hall" - +Critical: Aggressive, Unruly, Resilient; +Success: Tactical, Security - Mortality: Medium. (Get some use out of all those Unruly DO's...)

Shipboard Development (KDF) - "Use Transporter for Tribble Disposal" - Requires 5 tribbles - +Critical: Efficient, +Success: Transporter Chief, +Failure/Disaster: Unruly(?). If successful, you get a small amount of EC back for disposing of your tribbles. If you get a Disaster result, it awards 20 tribbles!!! (imagine 20 tribbles filling up your inventory to understand why this is a disaster...)

Shipboard Development (Both) - "Transporter Accident" - Mortality: High, but has a chance to Duplicate the assigned duty officer (unless unique).

Assignment Chain Ideas:

Navigational Hazard Chain (Exploration):
- Chart Navigational Hazards in (X): Success awards temporary buff to Driver Coil skill
- Investigate Subspace Anomaly in (X): Success awards Alien Artifact
- Explore Subspace Rift in (X): Costs Alien Artifact, Success temporarily decreases transwarp cooldowns
- Chart Transwarp Conduit in (X): Success awards Transwarp token to (X) (See previous post for an explanation of "Transwarp tokens")

Temporal Discontinuity Chain (Espionage?)
- Briefing on Reported Temporal Discontinuity: Awards unique civilian "Temporal Agent" DO.
- Investigate Temporal Discontinuity: Requires Temporal Agent
- Uncover Romulan Temporal Manipulation: Requires Temporal Agent
- Restore Temporal Continuity: Requires Temporal Agent and one other DO, Lose Temporal Agent and DO, Award one DO.

Crewman's Holiday Chain (Development)
- Vacation Getaway on Risa
- Make a New Friend: Awards unique civilian + Diplomacy XP
- Unexpected Turn of Events: Requires unique civilian, Awards + Espionage XP
- Recover Alien Artifacts: Requires unique civilian, Awards Alien Artifacts + Exploration XP
- Study Alien Artifacts for Clues to Lost Civilization: Requires unique civilian & Alien Artifacts, Awards + Science XP
- Discover Alien Ruins: Requires unique civilian, Awards + Exploration XP
- Seek Out New Lifeforms: Requires unique civilian, Awards Alien Bridge Officer + Diplomacy XP
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-03-2012, 11:37 AM
I like these, particularly the one quoted below

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegeek View Post
JShipboard Development (Fed) - "Collect Stray Tribbles" - "There are stray tribbles in the cargo hold. Assign a crewmember to find and collect them" - Costs 1 unit of Provisions - +Critical: Aggressive, Stubborn; +Success: Chef, Bartender - Awards 1 common tribble - Mortality: None.
The only change I would make here would be to have it cost like 20 Provisions but on Crit you get 18-19 back, Success you get like 11 or 12 back, Failure and Disaster would take them all. That would simulate how successful you were at getting the tribble before it hate your food.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-03-2012, 11:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightTemplar_99 View Post
I like these, particularly the one quoted below

The only change I would make here would be to have it cost like 20 Provisions but on Crit you get 18-19 back, Success you get like 11 or 12 back, Failure and Disaster would take them all. That would simulate how successful you were at getting the tribble before it hate your food.
I get it. For a second I thought you were talking about getting back multiple tribbles, but this way you get the tribble, plus maybe part of your Provisions back. Good idea!
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-03-2012, 12:29 PM
Ok, this next notion of mine is liable to be controversial and not likely to happen, but here goes anyway...

What about using DO assignments to create stackable, single-use devices that duplicate certain BO abilities? Furthermore, these single-use items could be used by anybody.

For example, let's say a Military DO assignment called "Develop Weapon Targeting Program" produces an item called "Target Weapons Mod". When invoked, it acts just like the "Target Weapon Subsystem I" Tactical ability, but you don't need to train a Tactical officer to get the temporary benefit of it. This item could potentially be traded, but should be fairly uncommon and not easy to get. There should be a hard limit on how many you can stack, like maybe 5 tops.

Now extend that notion to lots of different BO abilities, like Torpedo Spread, Jam Sensors, Tractor Beam, Mask Energy Signature, Tricorder Scan, Photonic Officer, Sweeping Strikes, Stealth Module, etc.

Possibly unbalancing, maybe. But if you cherry pick the abilities you duplicate, stick to the lower tier versions, keep the stack size low and the devices rare by making them rare assignments, it might not be all that bad and would definitely make for some interesting options. It would also be nice for those abiities that you might only want to use in certain situations.