Idea...I flew the Odessy yesterday..it was nice..but it was hard to turn
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-03-2012, 04:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptcisco
Pros cons?

Idea...I flew the Odessy yesterday..it was nice..but it was hard to turn
Odyssey is more tanky and has the hull hp to take a hit, the Excelsior has the advantage when it comes to turning facings to get a healthy shield to take a hit from a volley. The Excelsior as an "active" tank is the worst of the cruisers, its a more tactical design, but it has a better chance of not "being" in the position to have to take the hit as much, its faster and turns better so its possible (not totally likely) to get out of arcs better.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-25-2012, 03:43 PM
I disagree i have used an Excelsior class for more than a year and its always proven reliable .its a great tank if you got the set up
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-25-2012, 03:49 PM
excelsior is more for dps really. ody has +10 to shields and +10 to aux, if thats not an indication that it is better suited for tanking then I dont know what is.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-26-2012, 02:14 AM
I like the Odyssey and I do my best to soak up as much damage as possible in STFs, which works fine most of the time. The Excelsior maybe has better turn, but you actually don't need to turn at all. The Odyssey fights by giving broadsides and occasional torp spreads and turning your weak shield away from the enemy is countered by redistributing your shields (this is probably the most important thing for tanks. Bind shield redistribution to your space key, really worth it).
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-26-2012, 06:54 AM
The Oddysey doesn't need to turn at all with the gas sensor module for occassional follow up torpedo launches after the initial run.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-26-2012, 07:00 AM
Odyssey can be set up to be the best sustained tank cruiser in the game if you use the universal boff as an engineer or science officer with medium to high level TSS, Polarize Hull and Hazard Emitters. If you don't, then its sustained tank becomes weaker than the Excelsior's.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-26-2012, 09:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kecobe
I disagree i have used an Excelsior class for more than a year and its always proven reliable .its a great tank if you got the set up
In comparison to the Assault Cruiser or an "Engified" Odyssey, the Excelsior pales in the tankiness department. Even a Star Cruiser that uses its science Boffs skills for added tankiness is better than the Excel'. The Excel' has increased DPS as its trade-off in further tankiness vs the other cruisers. It will still do well in tankiness, but not compared to the other cruisers. The Excel is my cruiser of choice. Overall its the probably the best cruiser in the game, its just not the "ubertank" of the group.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-27-2012, 10:22 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UG4ae...CTcW2y104SlvxD

Note that I entered the borg sector defense mission and was tossed right into that.. I spawned into the fight in the final 1.5 minutes of it and was not prepared at all to receive a vomit volley of borg torps and what not from the (somehow duplicated) unimatrix....hence the buffs I would normally have in place for shield resists were not up. If they were that volley would have not touched my armor.

I routinely tank the unimatrix solo without dying or suffering hull damage.

The odyssey is a MONSTER once you equip it properly with boff skills, gear and doffs.
Lt. Commander
# 10 Impressive
03-02-2012, 04:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CmdrSkyfaller
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UG4ae...CTcW2y104SlvxD

Note that I entered the borg sector defense mission and was tossed right into that.. I spawned into the fight in the final 1.5 minutes of it and was not prepared at all to receive a vomit volley of borg torps and what not from the (somehow duplicated) unimatrix....hence the buffs I would normally have in place for shield resists were not up. If they were that volley would have not touched my armor.

I routinely tank the unimatrix solo without dying or suffering hull damage.

The odyssey is a MONSTER once you equip it properly with boff skills, gear and doffs.
So I am curious to know the build you have gonig there.. looking to get my Ody up to tank specs... using a lot of Dual beams ? (Newbish here)