Lt. Commander
I have already googled and read other threads on this and was not able to find an answer.

Bear with me here.

Flying without my primary beam banks on autofire is really not an option even given my current problem since I have a work arround. That being I just switch targets before I kill the one I am firing on. Probolem is that works most of the time, but not all the time.

In certain situations such as STF you only want to damage a target down to say 10% to 20%.

My current situation perdiodically causes me to accidently destroy my target because I am not able to stop firing on it.

Is there a way to order my weapons to just completely cease fire.

I am familiar with the key binds and have extra buttons on my mouse, but I am just not sure if there is anything I can do about this.

Some of the threads I read said that its just the way it is to include calling it buggy, but since they were mostly older threads I was hoping maybe something has been changed to provide a solution to this problem, or perhaps there is an option available using key binds.

I am experiementing right now trying to find a solution.

I am looking in the option in the keybind screen and I see "Fire All Weapons"; you would think they would have added a simple "Cease Firing all weapons".
Lt. Commander
# 2 Clear Target
02-04-2012, 12:18 AM
The key bind you want is "clear target" it will stop your firing. It is in the targeting and interaction section of your space key binds in the options menu. Make it any key you want.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-04-2012, 12:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick79
The key bind you want is "clear target" it will stop your firing. It is in the targeting and interaction section of your space key binds in the options menu. Make it any key you want.
Thank you very much. I saw that but had not tried it yet.

It occured to me that might work. Glad to here it does.
Lt. Commander
# 4 cheers
02-04-2012, 11:41 AM
happy hunting
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-06-2012, 03:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick79
happy hunting
Sadly "Clear Target" unfortunately does not stop the ship from firing. Invariably after you clear a target your weapons automatically choose a new target.

At least as a key bind it won't on my gaming mouse.

I think what we need is a toggle and the only one there is is the one where you type in

/toggle

which brings up the auto fire near the chat area which has been the work arround to get auto firing working since the patch messed it up.

That is impossible to do in the heat of a battle.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-06-2012, 05:57 AM
As it stands now I find it completely impossible to use the auto fire function in many circumstances simply because you have zero control over chosing your targets.

No matter how many times I choose a different target which is usually an ally that needs healing,the darn target gets changed back to an enemy before I can activate the power on my ally.

Its very frustrating to pop off a Hazards, or Engineering Team only to have it heal my own full hull which does not need it instead of the ally I try to target who is in desperate need. The target switches back to an enemy ship almost every time before I can activate it on my ally.

Its not just a problem that occurs in situations where you only want to damage something down to 10%.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-07-2012, 12:05 AM
With the autofire currently being messed up, I couldn't tell you precisely how to fix the issue (or if it's even possible), but apparently /defaultautofire 0 after /defaultautofire 1 (which I assume is what everyone is currently using as a workaround to the autofire bug) will change your mode to one that won't have your weapons firing off on their own when ANY hostile target gets into range. This one is just hearsay on my part, so your mileage may vary.

Once autofire is fixed and functioning properly again, the mode of "Toggle, change cancels" should make it so that once you Clear Target, it should no longer fire (at least, once the standard pulses of the weapon are done). "Toggle, never cancels" is the mode of autofire is the one that will just shoot everything non-stop with no regard for life.

(edit: Note, you can't stop some space weapons from firing on a dimeóI'm not familiar enough with the others to say so, but my beam arrays fire three times (?) per "shot", and I can't switch targets or stop firing until they're done with their current pulses of fire; I have to switch targets or cancel target early to accommodate, and it can be a pain when I have to shoot that charged plasma torpedo RIGHT NOW. I don't know if this is actually any part of your issue, but it is definitely relevant.)

For the frustrating issue of your ship re-targeting a hostile enemy when you want to target an ally to heal them, look for the option in Controls to turn off "Select attacker if attacked". (I had this problem too, up until the point I ranted about it and my fleetmate suggested that to me, and it's been working wonders ever since.)
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-07-2012, 01:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FB2140 View Post
For the frustrating issue of your ship re-targeting a hostile enemy when you want to target an ally to heal them, look for the option in Controls to turn off "Select attacker if attacked". (I had this problem too, up until the point I ranted about it and my fleetmate suggested that to me, and it's been working wonders ever since.)
That option was already turned off, but you inadvertantly solved my problem by having me look at the different settings in the options menue under controls.

The very last setting is for auto-fire.

It has a pull down menue and my problem was solved by changing auto-fire to "Toggle; Change Cancels".

For that I thank you so very much.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-07-2012, 01:50 PM
There is an old ever quest macro one of the devs posted on the forum way back when the game launched.

And I believe the Devs said using an autofire macro was OK, I'm not sure if they have changed their policy on this. I would actually like a dev comment on this.

-∆

edit: I found a GM response to this but its over a year old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMDestra
Hey Everyone,

To be honest, we have not given a clear set of rules for macro usage, because we do not have one yet.

Policies related to macros are always liquid, and are subject to change as players figure out new techniques. Right now, we don't consider any keyboard macros to be exploits, but that is certainly subject to change as new situations and techniques are brought to our attention.

The current stance is as follows:

Setting up macros where you are mapping 2-3 actions to a single keystroke is alright, however any macro that automates your character while you are not physically at your computer, is considered exploitation and may result in action taken against your account.

As we observe player behavior, leveling curves, PVP, etc, these policies will be updated to ensure that we can preserve the integrity of the game environment.
So if you find a macro that falls into line with the above text, like a simple autofire macro, i think that's ok.

-∆
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-07-2012, 02:16 PM
If you pick the Option "Autofire change cancels"; then deselecting your target will stop the fire - and until/unless you hit the spacebar, or key that activates a weapon; the weapon WON'T select another target and start firing.