Lt. Commander
Hey there, I'm relatively new - I have some questions!

1. I've decided to use the Adv Heavy Cruiser Refit (Excelsior) endgame because I like the transwarp drive, and...it's an Excelsior. Is this viable or are the stats too wanting compared to other cruisers?

2. How exactly does the power boost from field generator engineering consoles work, and where besides the power bar can I see the total shield strength computed? I don't see it under Defense - when I add or remove the console the numbers don't seem to change.

3. Is it worth stacking similar defensive and/or offensive consoles or is DR too great? (I'm familiar with the tanking principle that the marginal value of mitigation scales inversely with total mitigation)

4. Is it best to specialize in beams or torps, or use a mix of both? Atm I'm running:
Fore: Two quantum torps, one cobalt torp, one plasma beam
Aft: Three quantum mines, one chroniton mine

5. Is the Transwarp Computer worth a console slot?

I'm using dual zero point tactical consoles; adding the chroniton mines seemed good to add a snare, cobalt torps to eat up beams and use at point blank range, and the beam for flexibility. Any input?
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-04-2012, 07:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aestu

1. I've decided to use the Adv Heavy Cruiser Refit (Excelsior) endgame because I like the transwarp drive, and...it's an Excelsior. Is this viable or are the stats too wanting compared to other cruisers?

Many will argue that the Excelsior is THE best cruiser.

It doesn't suit my preferred method of PvP personally (the shark), but it is nevertheless an EXCELLENT ship. Highly recommended.

2. How exactly does the power boost from field generator engineering consoles work, and where besides the power bar can I see the total shield strength computed? I don't see it under Defense - when I add or remove the console the numbers don't seem to change.

The numbers will change if you're in a combat map. Sector Space is not where you want to be to test numbers.

3. Is it worth stacking similar defensive and/or offensive consoles or is DR too great? (I'm familiar with the tanking principle that the marginal value of mitigation scales inversely with total mitigation)

Stack away to your heart's content, if your intent is to specialize your build. While the stacking will depreciate gradually, if you are aiming for one specific idea to be stronger (IE Antiproton weapons), it is worth it.

4. Is it best to specialize in beams or torps, or use a mix of both? Atm I'm running:

Excelsior I would recommend 2x Single Antiproton Cannons fore, 1x Dual Beam Bank Antiproton, 1x Quantum Torpedo.

Rear, 4x Antiproton Turrets.

Your Tactical BOFFs to compliment this: Beam Overload 1, Cannon Rapid Fire 1, Torpedo - High Yield 3.

Depends. In PvP, I feel you can maximize the ship in other ways. It's a good method of travel however, but again... in PvP, useless.

I'm using dual zero point tactical consoles; adding the chroniton mines seemed good to add a snare, cobalt torps to eat up beams and use at point blank range, and the beam for flexibility. Any input?
My input is above. I hope it helps.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-04-2012, 08:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aestu

Nothing wrong with the Stats on an Excelsior - I'm a Tac and I love mine - deals outstanding sustained DPS when appropriately fitted out. Doesn't suit everyone's style of play but it turns well has great Tactical options for BOFFs and can take quite a pummelling.

What Hakaishin said - check under the 'Defense' tab on the character sheet for your ship and you'll see what your shield strength is will all modifiers applied.

Yes - my Excelsior has 3 x Phaser consoles - there's diminishing returns but if you want to squeeze every last point out of your offense/defense then stacking is the way to go.

Whatever build takes your fancy - mine is pretty simple - 6 x Mk XII Phaser Beam Arrays and 2 x Mk XII Quantum Torpedo Launchers.

Again - what Hakaishin said - keep it in your inventory and use it when you need it - it's a dead slot in PvP/STFs though...

None from me - not a fan of mines - MOAR BEAMZ FTW!
That's my $0.02 worth
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-04-2012, 08:29 AM
I do have a question about the EPS flow console that I'm going to tag on here. I've been told many different things by many different people and they can't all be right!

What exactly does it do? I know it facilitates power transfer between systems, say, after you come out of full impulse. Does it return your weapon power faster after the drop from a firing cycle?
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-04-2012, 08:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangoes
I do have a question about the EPS flow console that I'm going to tag on here. I've been told many different things by many different people and they can't all be right!

What exactly does it do? I know it facilitates power transfer between systems, say, after you come out of full impulse. Does it return your weapon power faster after the drop from a firing cycle?
I'll just list the various things it attributes to.

1.) Emergency Power to X System.
2.) Auxiliary Power to X System.
3.) Power transfer between systems (when you allocate power to shields manually to tank, weapons to DPS, engines to retreat, etc).
4.) Supports fast recovery following skill/weapon use and enemy degen effects (firing beams, being hit with energy-sapping weapons/skills, etc).

If you, or anyone else, isn't running an EPS... particularly after they moved the shield consoles to Science... I have to ask the obvious.

What in bloody hell are you smoking?