Lt. Commander
# 1 zero point energy conduit
11-23-2012, 12:36 PM
is it me or are the devs loving on other sci-fi shows? not that im complaining.

just thought it was funny that the new rommy console is named after a power source from Stargate Atlantis.

too bad it doesnt give you a bigger boost like from the show
Career Officer
# 2
11-23-2012, 12:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by papertoasty View Post
is it me or are the devs loving on other sci-fi shows? not that im complaining.

just thought it was funny that the new rommy console is named after a power source from Stargate Atlantis.

too bad it doesnt give you a bigger boost like from the show
It's a tad but more likely Stargate stole this idea from 'Trek.

The DS9 Technical Manual tells use that Quantum Torpedoes use a Photon Torpedo Warhead and Zero Point Energy.
Which is why the Quantums are affected by the "Zero Point Quantum Chamber" console.
Republic Veteran
# 3
11-23-2012, 08:37 PM
If they called it a Zero Point Module (ZPM as they were called for short) I might say so but in this case I would say maybe not.
Captain
# 4
11-24-2012, 01:24 PM
Zero point energy is a real concept. It's not just technobabble that five different shows randomly made up or 'stole' from eachother. Sheesh.
Captain
# 5
11-24-2012, 01:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by illcadia View Post
Zero point energy is a real concept. It's not just technobabble that five different shows randomly made up or 'stole' from eachother. Sheesh.
BUT, the way they applied it IS technobabble, and ZPE is...well, it's like flying saucers, alien probing, and the Philadelphia Experiment-so wrapped in conspiracy theories, legends and misconceptions that it verges on, if not oversteps, the boundary to pseudoscience.

There is very little actual, serious research into Zero Point Energy, but there are a lot of con-men and snake-oil-salesmen that make a living hawking it on radio shows and websites. IN some ways, it's like perpetual motion, and in other ways, it's like Nuclear Fusion (we've been 20 years from fusion energy for the last 40 or 50 years).
Captain
# 6
11-24-2012, 02:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterde3 View Post
It's a tad but more likely Stargate stole this idea from 'Trek.

The DS9 Technical Manual tells use that Quantum Torpedoes use a Photon Torpedo Warhead and Zero Point Energy.
Which is why the Quantums are affected by the "Zero Point Quantum Chamber" console.
That depends on which was written first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lianthelia View Post
If they called it a Zero Point Module (ZPM as they were called for short) I might say so but in this case I would say maybe not.
Yeah, that'd be funny. But frankly, I've noticed this similarity like the OP. Just one correction I'd like to make: ZPMs first appeared in SG-1 (Lost City, Part II, Zero Hour (assuming that wasn't after Atlantis started, which is a very real possibility)) and THEN in Atlantis. And then they appeared in both series (Moebius (unknown part), similar episodes, and most of Atlantis).

Speaking of which, what's the current status on Stargate: Worlds? Is it still dead?
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.
And I don't pretend to understand them.
Captain
# 7
11-24-2012, 03:15 PM
Zero Point energy is a little (well much) more than a stargate idea...

Romulan ships have been using artificial Black holes as an energy source since TNG... And while not clearly stated, it's very likely to be... you guessed it... Zero Point energy...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero-point_energy
My name may say "PWE member", but I will never be.
-NEVER Forget the Screwups and ignorance made towards the people who supported the game through 2011
Don't look silly, don't call it "Zen-Store" - Don't waste devs time, Post proper bug-reports - I don't like Gekos
Captain
# 8
11-30-2012, 08:49 AM
To be fair, a ZPM was not a black-hole-in a-box though.
Captain
# 9
11-30-2012, 10:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stirling191 View Post
To be fair, a ZPM was not a black-hole-in a-box though.
That's pretty close to what it was though. An artificial rift into a pocket universe, from where you extracted energy until it reached maximum entropy.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.
And I don't pretend to understand them.
Captain
# 10
11-30-2012, 10:54 AM
Which is not a black hole.