Lt. Commander
# 1 Fed vs Kdf
02-04-2012, 09:16 AM
I'm realy loving the doff system. The team who worked on it should get a big raise for it!

I am noticing something funny though. I have 2 fed and 2 kdf characteres all at max level. I spend about the same time on each of them every week.

The problem is both my kdf characters have 3-4 doff skills at or near tier 3 while both my fed characters are barely past tier 2 on one skill and most skills are barely past tier one. Considering the time I spend on each character there is a big dissparity here. If not for my two feds being high in diplomacy before the doff system came out I wouldn't even have a good crew yet.

My kdf are both high on maurading, espionage,deveplment, military
My fed are high on development only. cant say about diplomacy since they both started at tier 3 and 4. think my tier 3 is currently at around 66k.

Maybe since I am actively splitting my time between 4 characters I am looking out for more long duration, low doff count, high reward missions that kdf seem to have more of.

I'm still having tons of fun with all of them so I'm not complaining. I just thought I would share my experience since the most excellent doff play was put into game.

Again well done all for giving us these doffs!
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-04-2012, 09:58 AM
It's rough making things balanced but still different and interesting between the factions. The vast majority of assignments are actually identical between factions (and by identical, I mean, are actually the same assignment in most cases).

That being said, Marauding and Diplomacy are definitely different, with Marauding having a broader selection of rewards and per capita being a bit more rewarding, but also with a lot more casualties. At low levels, this makes Marauding harder than Diplomacy, but I suspect if you C-Store a lot of duty officers, or simply later on when you have a better selection of Green+ duty officers, that counterbalances it and makes Marauding more profitable.

This is a useful data point, however, and as always, I am interested in people's experiences and perceptions.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-04-2012, 10:11 AM
I figured the reason that there are still a slew of skills or abilities out there that cannot be effected by doffs was a balance issue. The best feedback I could give on this to balance worries on both factions is to work on the doff abilities and new one in pairs if say you were going to give a green 5%, blue 7.5% and purple 10% chance to decrease cool down of battle cloak by # of seconds which would probally be decent numbers say you gave a certain federation doff ability an equal counter of that. Based on my observations though other than that SIF/Engineering team problem the system as a whole for this is balanced atm.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-04-2012, 03:05 PM
Wondering if the issue isassociated with your choice in missions?

The reason I woudl say that is I noticed development in that list. These missions are usually very considerable in length. IS the problem tied closer to that feature than others perhaps? A lack of longer term missions.

I woudl be in the cmap that wants to see more longer term assignments too - I have 7 toons and that is a lot of time relogging and such to mess with assignments.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-04-2012, 10:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Restless.Kaiser
Wondering if the issue isassociated with your choice in missions?

The reason I woudl say that is I noticed development in that list. These missions are usually very considerable in length. IS the problem tied closer to that feature than others perhaps? A lack of longer term missions.

I woudl be in the cmap that wants to see more longer term assignments too - I have 7 toons and that is a lot of time relogging and such to mess with assignments.
Yes, the availability of long term missions (20+ hours) appears to be a fairly significant factor in how fast a category levels. Many of the easiest to level categories have plenty of 20+ hour missions. For example, most Fed players would probably agree that military is the easiest to level, largely because military offensives have such huge rewards and it's fairly easy to get that mission to a state where you can't fail (even with just green doffs). Development also has a huge number of 20 hour missions, almost all of which are quite easy to get to 0% chance of failure.

As a marked contrast, take something like science. It has nothing over 4 hours long, and most of the missions are 45 minutes. They have good rewards for the time spent, but the problem is that it's very time-intensive to level...if you're not constantly picking up new missions, it just becomes slow. Most people simply don't have the time (or patience) to be on the computer for hours at a stretch babysitting a dozen or more short-term science missions, so it's a pain to level up.