# 241
02-04-2012, 02:52 PM
Appears to be back up now.
Lt. Commander
# 242
02-04-2012, 02:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsman View Post
Um, "City of Heroes launched in 2004 and had been doing well for 7 years prior to going F2P; and that was Cryptic's first MMO.

Aside from Blizzard and World of ********, what MMO developer in 2009 would you say had a string of successful MMOs?

SOE hasn't had one since the original EQ (EQ2's sub numbers were lower then EQ's during EQ2's subscription phase. "Planetside" was a total bomb; and SWG underperformed so badly in Lucas Aryts eyes that they contracted Bioware top create it's replacement and gave them 6 years dev time and 200 million dollars)

Funcom was a laughing stock since it's HORRIBLE Anarchy Online release and subsequent repeat performance on "Age of Conan"

Mythic's "Dark Age of Camelot" was never a big hit; and Warhammer Online never really took off either.

Turbine's only real success was Asheron's Call (AC2 was shut down); and DDO was tne first western MMO to go F2P - followed by LoTRO; which BTW proved uunderperforming Western market MMOs could do better financially under the F2P model.

CCPs EVE Online has only ever been a niche game in the MMO space; and it took them 6 years after the initial announcement of the feature to add "Crew Quarters - the first step to walking in stations. Dust514 has been behind schedule, and CCP has been so 'successful' they had to do a 20% staff reduction"

BioWare has its hands full with SWToR; and overall, even with all the time and money invested, the EA Custtomer service so far has been called the worst in the MMO industry to date.And even the most ardent SWToR suopports will conceede EA's customer support blows.

Oh, and lets not forget Perpetual, who ORIGINALLY had the STO MMO IP for 4 years and had nothing to show for it past some concept art, concept documents and a few fake photoshop created screenshots.

My point - take blizzard and WoW out of the equation, and Cryptic seems no better or worse then any other MMO developer out there; and their first MMO - "City of Heroes" did well enough for NCSoft over its lifecycle.

Well I agree with what your saying. Cryptic was only involved for the first 3 years of COH.

But yest they have done better. The other thing is they share information with the user when they have issues.
Lt. Commander
# 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramp4ge View Post
If you think Star Trek is weak enough to die because of lens flare, sex and explosions, then you are a man of little faith.

Besides. If lens flare, sex and explosions can kill Star Trek, Enterprise did it long before JJ Trek.
Never noticed the underlying idea of sex covered up by strange and rather disturbing lewd looks of mister kirk himself
Lt. Commander
# 244
Server says it's back up, thank you Cryptic for the fast work, I remember back in beta when this kind of snag could kill it for a whole day haha.
Lt. Commander
# 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsman View Post
Um, "City of Heroes launched in 2004 and had been doing well for 7 years prior to going F2P; and that was Cryptic's first MMO.

Aside from Blizzard and World of ********, what MMO developer in 2009 would you say had a string of successful MMOs?

SOE hasn't had one since the original EQ (EQ2's sub numbers were lower then EQ's during EQ2's subscription phase. "Planetside" was a total bomb; and SWG underperformed so badly in Lucas Aryts eyes that they contracted Bioware top create it's replacement and gave them 6 years dev time and 200 million dollars)

Funcom was a laughing stock since it's HORRIBLE Anarchy Online release and subsequent repeat performance on "Age of Conan"

Mythic's "Dark Age of Camelot" was never a big hit; and Warhammer Online never really took off either.

Turbine's only real success was Asheron's Call (AC2 was shut down); and DDO was tne first western MMO to go F2P - followed by LoTRO; which BTW proved uunderperforming Western market MMOs could do better financially under the F2P model.

CCPs EVE Online has only ever been a niche game in the MMO space; and it took them 6 years after the initial announcement of the feature to add "Crew Quarters - the first step to walking in stations. Dust514 has been behind schedule, and CCP has been so 'successful' they had to do a 20% staff reduction"

BioWare has its hands full with SWToR; and overall, even with all the time and money invested, the EA Custtomer service so far has been called the worst in the MMO industry to date.And even the most ardent SWToR suopports will conceede EA's customer support blows.

Oh, and lets not forget Perpetual, who ORIGINALLY had the STO MMO IP for 4 years and had nothing to show for it past some concept art, concept documents and a few fake photoshop created screenshots.

My point - take blizzard and WoW out of the equation, and Cryptic seems no better or worse then any other MMO developer out there; and their first MMO - "City of Heroes" did well enough for NCSoft over its lifecycle.

if you wrote game reviews, i'd be willing to wade through advertisements to read what you have to say.
Lt. Commander
# 246
Oh for crying out...

I can understand your all ****ed about downtime. Heck, so am I, it's first chance I've had all weekend to get online.

But let me say this, it could be alot worse!
It could allways one day end up like that other MMO (forgot name) that accidentally wiped all thier severs and all thier back ups thus destroying the entire MMO and everyones accounts.

And it's not like Cryptic are the only culprits of downtown! The amount of times that either Bungie, Blizzard, or Sega have had unexpected downtimes just hours after a schedualed maintenence... heck I've lost count. Yet your all raging like Cryptic are the only ones and that they should be able to control what happens. BUGS HAPPEN!

I'm annoyed it ain't working like everyone else. I ain't gonna waste my time raging about it though and screaming how they should get thier act together. Take some chill pills and do something else while you wait, 'cause raging on the boards isn't gonna make it come back sooner, is it!?
Lt. Commander
# 247
02-04-2012, 02:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGamma View Post
Because when the thread was originally posted, it did say "Scheduled".

The Devs posted apologising back on page 2 and corrected it.

Thanks. =)
Lt. Commander
# 248
02-04-2012, 02:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Hawk View Post
DS8 was my fav one

Was that Empok Nor or something like that?
Lt. Commander
# 249
You have seen nothing. I was in the live beta and eventual release of Vanguard. This is nothing.
Lt. Commander
# 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCO
Well I agree with what your saying. Cryptic was only involved for the first 3 years of COH.

But yest they have done better. The other thing is they share information with the user when they have issues.
If you had been there in the beginning of CO, you'd see how hard it was to make them do that, lol We had been fighting long and hard just to have a "yeah, it's down. Working on it", let alone an ETA.
****, it took 4 years to have the description of the powers

They did learn a lot since then. STO seems like a lot nicer than it was in closed beta (no, not talking about looks).
Closed Thread