Lt. Commander
# 1 The 80% cloak aspect
02-05-2012, 01:21 AM
There is a bit of maoning about this function around the forums. I wonder how much actual testing people have done. This is a new feature and we all come from the background of believing cloaks to be almost entirely effective without putting any real effort into their use.

Has anyone tested the effectiveness with consoles slotted, and or points actually deployed into cloaking? I know my toon doesn't use them so I should not be too surprised when a fed sci ship cna see me. As a fed sci with large aux power I have indeed seen Bortas at considerbale distances but I have no idea how much effort those players put into mitigating it... I know I put a lot of effort into seeing it.

So any player experiences here to share on the effectiveness of it when used with skills/consoles.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-05-2012, 01:49 AM
You can't beat a 20% nerfed cloak with skills that will add maybe 2% total effectiveness.
Cloak is not based on a 10 km range but a much greater value.

This change was rushed so it doesn't work.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-05-2012, 06:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Restless.Kaiser
There is a bit of maoning about this function around the forums. I wonder how much actual testing people have done. This is a new feature and we all come from the background of believing cloaks to be almost entirely effective without putting any real effort into their use.

Has anyone tested the effectiveness with consoles slotted, and or points actually deployed into cloaking? I know my toon doesn't use them so I should not be too surprised when a fed sci ship cna see me. As a fed sci with large aux power I have indeed seen Bortas at considerbale distances but I have no idea how much effort those players put into mitigating it... I know I put a lot of effort into seeing it.

So any player experiences here to share on the effectiveness of it when used with skills/consoles.
Why does nagative feedback always get regarded as "moaning"?

When you can be spotted from 15 - 20 km away with cloak enabled what's the point of testing to prove if it is effective or not. How could it be any less effective? It's like asking the Captain of the Titanic to run a series of tests on the Titanic to see if she would sink, after she struck the iceberg.

I have 8 points in stealth. In any other KDF ship I can get within 3-5 km before being detected, most of the time. On top of that I have +1,000 Stealth bonus from the Honor Guard Covariant Shield Array Mk XII.

And sorry to have to state the obvious - but where would you suggest we put said consoles???
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-05-2012, 06:53 AM
drkfrontiers 1
restlesskaiser 0

Lt. Commander
# 5
02-05-2012, 06:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchum View Post
drkfrontiers 1
restlesskaiser 0

Dammit that melted my fury, now I'm all laughing again.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-05-2012, 07:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drkfrontiers
Dammit that melted my fury, now I'm all laughing again.
It's also healthier.
Worry too much and you'll have furrows all over you like this fellow :p
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-05-2012, 07:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mister_dee
It's also healthier.
Worry too much and you'll have furrows all over you like this fellow :p
Heee-hee. I think he just figured out what breed he is!!!!
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-05-2012, 11:14 AM
They should at least make it 82% effective, as a homage to the 18%'ers.....
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-05-2012, 11:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Restless.Kaiser

What's to test?

Negh'var - with no bonus to cloaking, and auxilary at minimum power, I can get within 5 KM before anyone sees me.

Bortas - with the same settings, I am visible as much as 15 KM out (well before weapons range).

That's not "80%"... that's more like 20%.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-05-2012, 11:17 PM
At the risk of sounding snarky... And I'm really not trying, but this may be a bug. It's not like cryptic doesn't have a... 'History?' of reversing values. For all we know, the 80% cloak aspect is actually "80% less effective" in a manner that is not intended.

Much like the MACO shield bug, you see?

Wait and see. It may be fixed.