Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 1 Which ship for tactical at 40?
02-05-2012, 01:34 AM
I've been trying to grind to level 40 pretty much all day, but I'm not as certain about my choice for ships once I hit 40 now as I was a few days ago. Originally I was going to go with the Advanced Escort so I can get the Multi Vector Assault Escort, but STOWiki says both ships are more suited for Science officers than Tactical officers.

Now I realize that 50 is still quite a ways off from 40, collecting enough Dilithium to put up on the Exchange for 2000 C-points may take a few days, and ultimately it's my choice, but given that I'm only given one free token for the RA promotion and I need the Advanced Escort for the MVAE I'd rather not screw it up and regret it later.

So the question is this: are the Advanced Escort and MVAE worse than the Fleet Escort/ Tactical Escort Refit for a Tactical officer, or is it just a matter of preference?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
02-05-2012, 03:31 AM
It's just a matter of preference, all four of them are good and viable ships, just with slightly different layout.

However you don't need the Fleet Escort to buy the Defiant-R, nor do you need to have the "basic" Advanced Escort to buy the MVAE.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
02-05-2012, 04:44 AM
The tactical retrofit and fleet escort have better console setups. In general the fleet escort has the best bridge officer setup, but it also depends on what you're fighting - I find three science powers is ideal for Jemhadar and Breen, for example - both have science debuffs and tractor beams to worry about, and the AE can counter both without giving up hazard emitters. Espcially breen, since their frigate groups have tractor beams you can get hit with it more often than attack pattern omega can free you.

MVAM, though, is just that good. The speed and power level improvements are great, and with the change to the shield consoles its console setup just got a bit better. You can use the ability on the standard version or the multivector version. The MVAE can do things that no other escort can, notably gravity well, the standard version has a better tactical setup.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
02-05-2012, 05:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by verasgunn View Post
So the question is this: are the Advanced Escort and MVAE worse than the Fleet Escort/ Tactical Escort Refit for a Tactical officer, or is it just a matter of preference?
There really is no such thing as "worse" in this game when talking about ships of the same tier (level 40 and 50 ships are generally considered the same tier). I have used all three ships and they are all good. Recently I just started using the Tactical Escort Retrofit again because I like how it looks over the other two. So really its just a matter of preference, then learning what the weaknesses of your ship are and compensating for them.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
02-05-2012, 05:44 AM
Thanks for all of the replies. I'm glad to hear that it's a matter of preference because, frankly, I can't stand how the Tactical Escort looks and the MVAE always stood out to me in Voyager. If, at some point down the line, I can afford it, I may go out on a limb and get the Tactical Escort Refit just to err on the safe side.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
02-05-2012, 05:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by verasgunn View Post
Thanks for all of the replies. I'm glad to hear that it's a matter of preference because, frankly, I can't stand how the Tactical Escort looks and the MVAE always stood out to me in Voyager. If, at some point down the line, I can afford it, I may go out on a limb and get the Tactical Escort Refit just to err on the safe side.
I just want to clarify something for you. The Tactical Escort Refit is a level 30 ship, that is the Sao Paulo. The Tactical Escort Retrofit is a level 50 ship. Refit and Retrofit are two different things. I don't want you to make a mistake and get the wrong ship.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
02-05-2012, 06:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by attilio View Post
I just want to clarify something for you. The Tactical Escort Refit is a level 30 ship, that is the Sao Paulo. The Tactical Escort Retrofit is a level 50 ship. Refit and Retrofit are two different things. I don't want you to make a mistake and get the wrong ship.
It's a long ways off anyways, but thank you all the same.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 8
02-06-2012, 11:39 AM
I LOVE MY ESCORT!

i just crafted the Aegis set and I keep the best guns I can afford to get for it.
The thing is an aggressive killing machine that turns on a latinum.
I focused on shield and hull healing abilities and with that i can dive bomb the ships I fight without quarter. Loving it.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 9
02-08-2012, 01:40 AM
I fly the Mutli-Vector Escort, as a Tactical Officer. I can tell you firsthand that it is an amazing ship. Team up with me once, and let me show you what I can do with it.

I can solo one side of Khitomer Accord, Space, Normal. That means the gate, both transformers, and all the generators, and I can do it all in about 13 minutes, alone.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 10
02-08-2012, 10:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by verasgunn View Post
I've been trying to grind to level 40 pretty much all day, but I'm not as certain about my choice for ships once I hit 40 now as I was a few days ago. Originally I was going to go with the Advanced Escort so I can get the Multi Vector Assault Escort, but STOWiki says both ships are more suited for Science officers than Tactical officers.

Now I realize that 50 is still quite a ways off from 40, collecting enough Dilithium to put up on the Exchange for 2000 C-points may take a few days, and ultimately it's my choice, but given that I'm only given one free token for the RA promotion and I need the Advanced Escort for the MVAE I'd rather not screw it up and regret it later.

So the question is this: are the Advanced Escort and MVAE worse than the Fleet Escort/ Tactical Escort Refit for a Tactical officer, or is it just a matter of preference?
First let me say that Ship Types are NOT geared/make/required for specific Captain professions. You can fly whatever type of ship you desired an be successful in _every_ aspect of the game.Each combination of Captain Procession and Ship Type is viable and offers a unique game play. I have a max level character of every combination of ship and profession. Don't let anyone tell you different.

Now onto your post. You mis-interpret what STOWiki says about the basic T5 ships. The Advanced Escort is more "Science oriented" in terms of having an one additional Science console and an additional Ensign Science Bridge Station. That doesn't means that it's more oriented towards a Science Captain.

All of the T5 ships have an orientation towards one profession/ship type (i.e. Engineering, Science or Tactical) for it's Console slots and Bridge Stations. Sometimes the orientation is the same as the base type of the ships (i.e. Escort with a slant towards Tactical).

In the basic T5 ships, you have two choices. Each of the choices is an orientation towards each of the other ship types/professions. For example in Cruisers, you have the Assault Cruiser which is oriented towards Tactical and the Star Cruiser which is slanted towards Science. Likewise in Escorts, you have the Fleet Escort which is oriented towards Engineering and the Advanced Escort which is slanted towards Science. But both the Fleet Escort and Advanced Escort are both ESCORTS. That are fast, nimble, more fragile than other shops and pack a wallop in terms of damage.

The +1 C-Store ships offers more choices choices in ship BOFF Brdige station layouts. For example the Advanced Cruise Retrofit (T5 Excelsior) has a Lt Commander Tactical slots insteadof the more typical Lt Commander Engineering slots. That means it can use the rank III version of many tactical BOFF abilties which can do a lot of damage. But it does so at the expense of some of the survivablity that other Cruisers have. Similarly the MVAM Advanced Escort has a Lt Commander Science Bridge station instead of the Lt Commander Tactical Station. That allows to use a lot of the potent Science BOFF abilities. But at the the DPS capacity of other Escorts.

Nothing I've written above means that a Tactcal Captain can't fly either of the Advanced Escorts. I have a Tactical Captain who flies the Advanced Escort with the MVAM module just as you desire to do. I love my USS Ares, Cerberus Class, Advanced EScort with MVAM Capabilities. I'm also an oddbal that goes against so called conventional wisdom. I still use the default weapon load out on Cerberus with upgraded equipment, of course. But I do admit I recently switched to use the Quad Cannon on it. It looks so much cooler when it fires.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:22 PM.