Lt. Commander
# 1 DS9 changes
02-05-2012, 07:38 AM
I visited ds9 today and noticed that the staircases in OPS had changed to ramps. Is this a permanent change??

Also, I may be slightly confused, but isnt there supposed to be a spiral staircase on the promenade?

I do wonder what other changes they will make for ds9 after the featured episode update goes live... any confirmed rumors?
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-05-2012, 09:42 AM
Yeah there is supposed to be a spiral staircase, but I think the motion of players kind of limits that. Plus I'm pretty sure the lady who hails you from DS9 before you beam down says there has been some renovations.

I haven't heard any rumors about DS9 changes, I don't think there will be any. The way you see DS9 now is actually a recent update to it. It used to look different this time last year.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-05-2012, 09:45 AM
The ramps are a bug, I believe.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-05-2012, 10:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walshicus
The ramps are a bug, I believe.
I saw this confirmed by a goldname.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-05-2012, 12:25 PM
indeed, they shouldn't be there. What you're seeing is the collision geometry drawing (it should be there, but invisible)
I'll take another look on Monday.

There aren't any big changes planned for DS9, but I certainly see some places (like the staircase) that are different from the show. I'd love to bring it more in line with the show, but that depends on time, and schedule, and not making more work for other people (designers)
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-05-2012, 12:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumerboy View Post
indeed, they shouldn't be there. What you're seeing is the collision geometry drawing (it should be there, but invisible)

There aren't any big changes planned for DS9, but I certainly see some places (like the staircase) that are different from the show. I'd love to bring it more in line with the show, but that depends on time, and schedule, and not making more work for other people (designers)
If you did spiral staircases in game, it would probably involve having NPC pathing take over for the player, wouldn't it?
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-05-2012, 01:06 PM
huh? asdwo
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-05-2012, 01:19 PM
Quote:
huh? asdwo
Well, I assume their exclusion is partly due to the navigation difficulties they'd impose as well as how weird people look when using them coupled with their inaccessibility for large characters.

I dunno. It seems to me that there were some conscious "realism" decisions made in STO. For example, why we don't just disappear and reappear already sitting in chairs but the effort was made to have people sit properly.

As many interviews as you guys give, there are elements of your design philosophies that have never been made fully apparent and those tend to come out in slips. I know people who have interviewed with you and they walk away with a new understanding of why you do what you do, stuff that those of us in the general community wind up building theories and assumptions about.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-05-2012, 01:21 PM
Quote:

Quarks bar has a HUGE ramp in it - I have to say, if I could change one piece of DS9....
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-05-2012, 01:33 PM
Quote:
There aren't any big changes planned for DS9, but I certainly see some places (like the staircase) that are different from the show.
One of the reasons for asking is because I believe I may have seen the conference room from ds9 in the brief trailer that was released for "the 2800". So naturally I told myself that perhaps that particular room along with the habitat ring would be released along with the featured series

I think minor adjustments that would make the station feel a lot more "alive" would add greatly, such as adding more random species npc;s wandering the halls, or making the crew members in ops actually walk around repairing something or scanning. Some background dialogue would be a nice addon.

ooh,, and I know its a minor adjustment, but it would be nice if the door to siskos office opened/closed (with canon sound effect if possible ).

I may be a bit of a ds9 fan boy...