Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 21
02-06-2012, 01:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchum View Post
Thought they were done fleshing out the KDF. They added ships, c-store ships at that, and they crunched the levels down to 20 to 50 to make it all fit. And then they're adding a single new episode, which is way more thant they've added fed side recently.

Seems like they're just about done with the KDF right?

Time for Romulans?

their plans are for the KDF to be a full 1-50 faction.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 22
02-06-2012, 11:29 PM
I don't see them making the klingon faction 1-50, its just not practicle, honastly I like the Klingon faction just the way it is, and I already know that they are working on the Romulan faction.

Back to an earlier comment on what the would have going for them, I think they should get phase cloaking so they can pass through sold objects (this will be the cheapest thing you could possibly do in the game though).
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 23
02-06-2012, 11:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenney1 View Post
I don't see them making the klingon faction 1-50, its just not practical....
Why wouldn't be practical? Its logical to have them begin at level 1 ala Federation and add more missions in the process. The lack of missions is one of the major issues with the Klingon Faction. I hope you can unlock the KDF from the get go, the moment you make a new account you get to choose your side.


Quote:
Originally Posted by kenney1 View Post
honestly I like the Klingon faction just the way it is...
No offense, but you really love an unfinished Faction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenney1 View Post
...and I already know that they are working on the Romulan faction.
Would love to see your sources in regards to the Romulans. As much as I want to see the Romulans as a playable faction, its development may never come to fruition. They need to clean up the mess which is the state of the current KDF faction.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 24
02-06-2012, 11:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiserhawk View Post
I'm kind of wondering about a Romulan faction, but what exactly can they do with is?

It's a fractured society, yes. But we've already dealt with most, if not all the main factions.

Praetor Taris? Dealt with
Tal Shiar? Dealt With
Empress Sela? Dealt With


there isn't much left.
Most likely the faction's story arc may revolve around the Iconians. If my memory serves me right, Sela was not killed, she was taken by the Iconians and may return.

Tal Shiar is not competely dead either, they are a very secretive group with various allegiances. Same applies to members of the Obsidian Order.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 25
02-07-2012, 12:01 AM
I, too, have been itching for a Romulan faction for some time now; though I agree that the KDF needs attending to first.

As far as where to go with it, I like the "choose your path" idea brought up by a previous poster. I'd personally do the "return to glory" option.

Aside from content, my only other gameplay worry comes in the form of a gripe I've had with previous Star Trek games: very little variation in ship design. Nearly every ship created by the devs (some fan-made skins have been excellent though) is some take on either the Mogai, D'Deridex, or Scout. I realise that they have to maintain a certain aesthetic (like the Federation saucer/nacelle layout), but I've generally not been terribly impressed with apocryphal Romulan starships. The Shadow class is the only exception that I've seen.

Oh, and some uniform variation would be nice too. I'd hate to make Commander or Colonel (assuming they have the Tal Shiar as playable) and end up stuck with the bad comic book supervillain uniform that's currently in the game. I'd also hate to see the TNG era puffy shirts. Some TOS stuff and the uniforms from DS9 would be nice. :p
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 26
02-07-2012, 12:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel_Taev View Post
Nearly every ship created by the devs (some fan-made skins have been excellent though) is some take on either the Mogai, D'Deridex, or Scout. I realise that they have to maintain a certain aesthetic (like the Federation saucer/nacelle layout), but I've generally not been terribly impressed with apocryphal Romulan starships. The Shadow class is the only exception that I've seen.

Oh, and some uniform variation would be nice too. I'd hate to make Commander or Colonel (assuming they have the Tal Shiar as playable) and end up stuck with the bad comic book supervillain uniform that's currently in the game. I'd also hate to see the TNG era puffy shirts. Some TOS stuff and the uniforms from DS9 would be nice. :p
I'm pretty sure if the Romulan Faction ever see the light of day, that the TOS Romulan variant uniform will be on the top of the list, aside from its movie, TNG, and DS9 variants. I am assuming that the Tal Shiar will be all black akin to section 31.

As far as ship designs, well Romulans have quite a selection:

A) The "Enterprise series" variant
B) The "TNG" variants
C) The "TOS" Variant
D) The "Star Trek Nemesis" Variant (Both Reman and Romulan versions)
F) They will also probably have the shared Klingon / Romulan variant D7 Class Cruiser - but with a Romulan twist

G) and I am pretty sure the folks at Cryptic will introduce retro or refits of the various classes, including some original ones.

I would probably leave it to an open CBS sponsored contest - ala - Odessay

I'm pretty sure Cryptic can also create a Carrier variant for the Scorpion fighters
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 27
02-07-2012, 12:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackV7
I'm pretty sure if the Romulan Faction ever see the light of day, that the TOS Romulan variant uniform will be on the top of the list, aside from its movie, TNG, and DS9 variants. I am assuming that the Tal Shiar will be all black akin to section 31.

As far as ship designs, well Romulans have quite a selection:

A) The "Enterprise series" variant
B) The "TNG" variants
C) The "TOS" Variant
D) The "Star Trek Nemesis" Variant (Both Reman and Romulan versions)
F) They will also probably have the shared Klingon / Romulan variant D7 Class Cruiser - but with a Romulan twist

G) and I am pretty sure the folks at Cryptic will introduce retro or refits of the various classes, including some original ones.

I would probably leave it to an open CBS sponsored contest - ala - Odessay

I'm pretty sure Cryptic can also create a Carrier variant for the Scorpion fighters

Indeed, the design team will have their hands full making a whole bunch of Romulan warships. Hopefully they already are at work with some rough concepts. But they can easily make three varients of the Mogai / Valdore type for the various names the ship became to be known by. (Valdore-class, Mogai-class, and Norexian-class warbird).

And in the Ships of the Line, Probert designed a Romulan Dreadnaught that go nicely with the new ships. Providing they can get him to agree (it's a design not owned by CBS).


But given what we learned in the Bortas Development Project thread, I don't think CBS or Cryptic is going to bother with another ship design contest. Even though the Odyssey was more on the line since it was defining the "NEW" Enterprise.




As for the Romulan faction itself, I suggested that most of the PvE missions is more around covert operations. For instance:

Tier 1: Handling the fractioning of the Empire and quelling rebellion.

Tier 2: Infiltrating the Federation as a spy.

In all sense and purposes, you are a Federation Faction member, which even the other Federation players don't know you're really a Romulan Faction. So you could be sent on Federation PvE missions, but you got Romulan tasks in those missions.

For example, in the Reman FE, you tip off the Tal Shiar to Reman activities.

Tier 3: Aiding the True Way and the Breen.

Tier 4: War with the Klingons and battle over of Khitomer and lost Romulan worlds.

Tier 5: Borg / Undine Missions with an Iconian Twist.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 28
02-07-2012, 01:07 AM
I know the Romulans have quite a few ship classes, but TOS and ENT only ever had BoP variants (and some kind of drone IIRC), TNG only had the D'Deridex and Scout, and Nemesis only had the Valdore and the Scimitar (which was Reman anyway). Most of what I've seen in other games don't look too much different from these. You might see a single-hulled D'Deredix as a light cruiser or a scout with a scaled down D'Deridex head or different coloured Valdores, but that's about it.

Things like these:

http://www.sttff.net/kerchan.html
http://galen82.deviantart.com/gallery/12574926

would be most welcome.

-----------

I also like the idea of infiltration missions. My current Fed Toon is already kind of set up that way. :p
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 29
02-07-2012, 02:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardoc
That list is fine except for the battle cloak part... that part makes no sense, the Romulans invented the cloak, not only should they have battle cloak capabilities, but their cloaks should be superior in other ways as well... its a known fact that Romulan cloaking devices were far superior to the Klingon version that was traded to the Klingons...
I was about to complain about what the Romulan ships should lose to balance out all their ships have battle cloak, but then I realized how amusing it would be watching a D'Deridex try to waddle through using the battle cloak the way a Klingon BoP currently does and decided that was balance enough.

I'm willing to let the RSE equip battle cloaks universally so long as the KDF maintains its real identity claim: dual cannon-equipped battlecruisers with superior maneuverability.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 30
02-07-2012, 02:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resz
I was about to complain about what the Romulan ships should lose to balance out all their ships have battle cloak, but then I realized how amusing it would be watching a D'Deridex try to waddle through using the battle cloak the way a Klingon BoP currently does and decided that was balance enough.

I'm willing to let the RSE equip battle cloaks universally so long as the KDF maintains its real identity claim: dual cannon-equipped battlecruisers with superior maneuverability.
That would work. Perhaps the universal battle cloak for the RSE could be balanced by overall lower DPS. We are a sneaky lot; maybe a truly successful RSE Commander/Colonel has to play more like a Fed Sci officer than a Tac or Engineer: duller teeth, but more debuff abilities. On the ground, we could have fewer tank abilities but higher crits (frequency/damage) for stealth and flanking attacks.

*shrugs*
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:29 PM.