Lt. Commander
# 1 Dispersal Alpha vs. Beta
02-05-2012, 03:29 PM
Is there a difference in the mines aside from 8 at once or two groups of 4? More damage? Farther apart? Anything?
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-10-2012, 10:26 AM
The Beta lays a WIDE net of mines (group of 8, then 12 then 16 for T1, T2 and T3 respectively) that can hit multiple ships, be they above/below or beside you. The downside of it is they cover such a wide area and they cannot all hit the same ship (unless the ship flies through the DEAD center, which is unlikely).

The Alpha lays a trail of mines (2 groups of 4 for T1, 3 groups for T2 and 4 groups for T3) that are put out behind you about 2-3 seconds apart. This power is useful if you are trying to hit 1 ship with as many mines as possible. They are so close together in their groups that 85-100% of the time they all go to the same target.

I may have mixed the names up (alpha/beta) but thats what they do. I prefer Alpha myself, but Beta's good if you've got mines with a nice proc you want to spread around (i.e. Plasma mines, chroniton mines.) because it has such a wide area you can hit many ships with the proc.

Hope that helps!

-Quiiliitiila
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-10-2012, 12:43 PM
I usually use the one with the tightest spread when I do my attack runs with my bop. I try to time the mines so the first group deploys in front and the next behind my target.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-10-2012, 02:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiiliitiila
I may have mixed the names up (alpha/beta) but thats what they do. I prefer Beta myself
You did. Beta is the wide net, Alpha is the number of small mine clusters in a line.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-10-2012, 06:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ainu
You did. Beta is the wide net, Alpha is the number of small mine clusters in a line.
Thanks, I'll edit my first post to reflect this.

-Quiiliitiila