Lt. Commander
I'm a bit new to this game but it seems that the universe is more than a bit lifeless.

I'm at a dilapidated Ferengi starbase. These guys should make modern-day businesses look Amish. Yet when I get fresh air and go outside *gasp* I'm bombarded by advertisements. Yet in a Ferengi station? Nothing.

In DS9 they don't even play the jingle "Come to Quark's, Quark's is fun, come to Quark's, don't walk RUN!" which Quark hacked into the DS9 systems during an episode. Little things like that made the show seem that much more lively and less sterile. They would do the same for this game.

Regarding the ads, it could be a mix of e.g. daily offers for ships (e.g. random C-store ship nobody buys = 40% off today only) and *gasp* real-world ads.

Surely there's a way to integrate real ads into the world without ruining the flavor of the universe?

Something like "Starbucks - voted 50% more delicious than a Raktajino by humons"

If I'm in a central hub of commerce like DS9 I should surely hear lots of chatter and background ads instead of just Leeta screaming in my ear from the other side of the station.

Of course, you wouldn't want such ads at a place like Spacedock. Cryptic shouldn't go overboard and sell out the whole universe for a few extra bucks.

The benefits:

- greater income stream for Cryptic - might lead to more content?
- more interactive / lively game world
- reasons to visit various stations and make them less dead/lifeless

While you're at it Cryptic, remove the bet limit on Dabo tables. Bet limits on a game run by Ferengi both serve absolutely no purpose canonically (Ferengi "Sir I believe you have a gambling addiction, please limit your bets and take this safe gambling leaflet" lol?), and annoy players who for whatever reason want Latinum in a short period (e.g. Ferengi me who wants to do all the trade missions).
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-05-2012, 07:14 PM
I don't think opening the door to putting real ads in the game is a good idea... it's just too easy of a slippery slope to fall down.

There are enough ads for the C-store built into the UI already.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-05-2012, 07:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormnnorm
I don't think opening the door to putting real ads in the game is a good idea... it's just too easy of a slippery slope to fall down.

There are enough ads for the C-store built into the UI already.
The same.

That said, I think in-universe advertisements would be a hoot.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-05-2012, 07:19 PM
Real world commercial ads in STO? I hope this never ever-ever-ever-ever-ever happens! Terrible idea. The day I see a Starbucks or Coke ad will be a very sad day for Star Trek.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
Agree, this might be a bit of fun though.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-05-2012, 07:26 PM
If it was restricted to Ferengi stations, and if it meant STO would get a +1 year life extension, then I would be in favor.

If it didn't give enough money to extend the game's life, or if the ads were anywhere but Ferengi areas, then I would be opposed.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-05-2012, 07:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkstocbr
Real world commercial ads in STO? I hope this never ever-ever-ever-ever-ever happens! Terrible idea. The day I see a Starbucks or Coke ad will be a very sad day for Star Trek.
Yeah, it was bad enough having Starfleet Communications brought to you by Nokia and Bud Light, the official watered down beer of Starfleet Academy. I'd rather not see real world products invade STO as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
The same.

In universe ads would be cool. On a Ferengi station, I could see ads for competing brands of snail juice or hupyrian beetle snuff, sales on holosuite time, maybe Orion slave girl massages. Stuff like that would be great.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-05-2012, 07:30 PM
Not to mention, any real world company willing to pay Cryptic to put ads in the game certainly will not accept their ads being limited to what has got to be one of the least-visited locales in the game.

If you ever see ads in-game, expect them to be emblazoned all over ESD, SFA, Qo'nos, etc.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-05-2012, 07:36 PM
Or, expect the Ferengi locales to be made more attractive.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-05-2012, 07:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Nightblade View Post
<snip> ... maybe Orion slave girl massages.
Say whaaaaa ...? :p
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-05-2012, 07:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkstocbr
Say whaaaaa ...? :p
Well they can't just go out and advertize oo-mox. They gotta call it something else to avoid offending the Federation and sickening the Klingons