Lt. Commander
# 11
02-05-2012, 09:12 PM
I am gonna have to say NO to real world advertisements in game.
I believe it could be a potential emmersion breaker if I ran to Drozana do deal with some upstart Devidians, and am confronted with a KIA advertisement.

Now I would endorse a John'SonVille Targ Brats commercial!
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-06-2012, 08:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by saiphox
I'm a bit new to this game but it seems that the universe is more than a bit lifeless.

I'm at a dilapidated Ferengi starbase. These guys should make modern-day businesses look Amish. Yet when I get fresh air and go outside *gasp* I'm bombarded by advertisements. Yet in a Ferengi station? Nothing.

In DS9 they don't even play the jingle "Come to Quark's, Quark's is fun, come to Quark's, don't walk RUN!" which Quark hacked into the DS9 systems during an episode. Little things like that made the show seem that much more lively and less sterile. They would do the same for this game.

Regarding the ads, it could be a mix of e.g. daily offers for ships (e.g. random C-store ship nobody buys = 40% off today only) and *gasp* real-world ads.

Surely there's a way to integrate real ads into the world without ruining the flavor of the universe?

Something like "Starbucks - voted 50% more delicious than a Raktajino by humons"

If I'm in a central hub of commerce like DS9 I should surely hear lots of chatter and background ads instead of just Leeta screaming in my ear from the other side of the station.

Of course, you wouldn't want such ads at a place like Spacedock. Cryptic shouldn't go overboard and sell out the whole universe for a few extra bucks.

The benefits:

- greater income stream for Cryptic - might lead to more content?
- more interactive / lively game world
- reasons to visit various stations and make them less dead/lifeless

While you're at it Cryptic, remove the bet limit on Dabo tables. Bet limits on a game run by Ferengi both serve absolutely no purpose canonically (Ferengi "Sir I believe you have a gambling addiction, please limit your bets and take this safe gambling leaflet" lol?), and annoy players who for whatever reason want Latinum in a short period (e.g. Ferengi me who wants to do all the trade missions).
Why would i want a F%#&%N ad in a game that i pay for ???

If Cryptic/PW want to bombard the F2 players i couldn't care less but I'm sure that no paying players would want this.

Now go back to your job in advertising.
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-06-2012, 03:41 PM
I'd rather buy an LTS than have STO placing real-life ads in the game. Asian F2P MMO company may run STOm does mean that STO should become one of those...
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-06-2012, 03:52 PM
WHERE IS SULU?

At Starbucks.

No, thanks.
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-06-2012, 03:53 PM
Real life ads? Abso-fragging-lutely NOT.

...In-universe ads crammed full of Trek references, subtle sleaze, humour and Sluggo Cola Product Placement?

Definately!
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-06-2012, 03:56 PM
Only if Coke makes a drink called Slug-O-Cola and Starbucks makes a Klingon coffee.

But honesty, Cryptic is not in the advertising business. They should stick with what they know best.

However, I see nothing wrong with them advertising their own stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koppenflak
Real life ads? Abso-fragging-lutely NOT.

...In-universe ads crammed full of Trek references, subtle sleaze, humour and Sluggo Cola Product Placement?

Definately!
LOL, I just had this mental image of an animation of Admiral Quinn giving us our orders and then doing one of those hammy drinkings out of a can of Slug-O-Cola complete with the smacking of his lips. :p
Lt. Commander
# 17 Consumer Programming
02-06-2012, 04:18 PM
OMG....

Not only have the psychologist hired by Advertisers and Corporations to program the Sheeple into mass consumption, the have gotten brilliant enough to get them to beg for commercials!!!

Be afraid, be very afraid!
Lt. Commander
# 18 Commercials
02-06-2012, 04:50 PM
Are people really so programmed to watch commercials they actually ask for them?

What next, commercials on the Moon?

http://www.thespacereview.com/article/215/1

Lt. Commander
# 19 or perhaps...
02-07-2012, 03:05 AM
how about a notice board in drozana where you could pay EC/dilithium to rent space to put out fleet recruitment information, personals, trading of rare items and any other game related activites? not all players check the forums remember.

got a stack of twenty glazed hams you can only part with for a paticular bridge officer req? trying to start a fleet and don't want to be hated by most of ESD? trying to meet like minded RPers?

if you were able to add your char@handle it would seem a pretty easy system for people to get in touch with the posters of the ads via the mail terminals. or your UI mail. any thoughts?
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-07-2012, 03:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormnnorm
I don't think opening the door to putting real ads in the game is a good idea... it's just too easy of a slippery slope to fall down.

There are enough ads for the C-store built into the UI already.
Adds in game... I am pretty sure that would scare people away for good.