Lt. Commander
# 1 STO & Win7
02-05-2012, 09:02 PM
As of bringing my windows 7 PC back online after some much needed fixes, I've found that I can't play STO for more than a few minutes before it happens to cause my system to black screen and force a restart.

Relevant computer info
  • Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600)
  • Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q8200 @ 2.33 GHz
  • RAM: 4095 MB
  • NVIDIA GeForce GT 2200 (Driver ver. 8.17.12.8562, dated 15 Oct 2011), Approx. Total Memory: 2770 MB
  • DirectX 11

Case runs a 120MM side fan, 80MM CPU fan + heat sink, and power supply has intake/exhaust fans, so I know it isn't a heat issue. It's also not any of the hardware having issues, tried other games/programs (in multiple attempts, trying to max CPU/video card load) to see if they'd crash my system like STO, they don't. It's not a bad installation either, already ruled that out with a complete system wipe and clean install of OS, all software, and drivers done today. I'd get you some sort of crash report, but as noted, the system just dumps straight to black void and goes through its boot cycle, rendering any and all attempts to generate a crash report futile.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-06-2012, 12:19 PM
Are you running X-Fire or any other porgram like it? I know that X-fire had/has an issue with STO and the "X-Fire in Game" option.

As for your specs, STO works fine.

Matt
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-06-2012, 05:16 PM
I run STO on my Win7-64 system just fine.

I'm using the DX9 renderer, since the dx11 is slower on ati gpu's, at least right now.
And has some black texture bugs, I hear.

So changing renderer to whichever you weren't using might help, who knows.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-06-2012, 06:28 PM
Please send in a ticket to Tech Support with the following information so we can try to figure this out for you.

It'll be helpful to us if you tell us some of your computer's information, and include any screenshots of any bugs or errors that you get.

1) What is the make and model number of your computer?

2) Please also tell us whether you are running a 32bit or 64bit version of Windows. You can find out in Windows by going here: Start > Control Panel > System & Maintenance > System. Then look under System > System Type. It will then display 32bit Operating System or 64bit Operating System. Include that info with the info we ask for below.

3) To create a dxdiag log, go to Start, click on Run, then type in dxdiag and press Enter. Click on Save All Information as a text file (on your Desktop as an example.
If you are using Vista or 7, go to the Start Menu, click on the Search menu and type dxdiag.exe.

4) Attach the dxdiag.txt that you save to your reply to us.

If you have a 64bit system, please click on the 64bit Dxdiag/DirectX button to save the correct log file.

This is important so that we can do our best to help you.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-07-2012, 01:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destraa View Post
As of bringing my windows 7 PC back online after some much needed fixes, I've found that I can't play STO for more than a few minutes before it happens to cause my system to black screen and force a restart.

Relevant computer info
  • Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600)
  • Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q8200 @ 2.33 GHz
  • RAM: 4095 MB
  • NVIDIA GeForce GT 2200 (Driver ver. 8.17.12.8562, dated 15 Oct 2011), Approx. Total Memory: 2770 MB
  • DirectX 11

Case runs a 120MM side fan, 80MM CPU fan + heat sink, and power supply has intake/exhaust fans, so I know it isn't a heat issue. It's also not any of the hardware having issues, tried other games/programs (in multiple attempts, trying to max CPU/video card load) to see if they'd crash my system like STO, they don't. It's not a bad installation either, already ruled that out with a complete system wipe and clean install of OS, all software, and drivers done today. I'd get you some sort of crash report, but as noted, the system just dumps straight to black void and goes through its boot cycle, rendering any and all attempts to generate a crash report futile.
Its your video card. While the GT 2200 appears to have great specs, the card is notorious for being a sub-par card. The 2GB memory of the card doesn't really make up for its lack of performance. Search information on the card, many many people have complained about the cards poor performance in the video game arena. From FPS issues, to just straight not running games. Additionally, the card is a few years old now, and honestly you would be better served to purchase a new card all together. I would highly recommend a GeForce 3 or 4 series card. Even the low end cards are more than capable of running STO.

Additionally, use Nvidia's System monitoring tools and check the tempurture of the card, the other issue that is possible, is that you have some bad VRAM. Everytime something tries to access a portion of the bad VRAM, you can be forced to restart. The GeForce 7600 cards had a similar issue, particularly the ASUS branded cards, they used Samsung RAM and some bad chips made it into products and into stores, I know, I bought two and both had to be RMA'ed back to NewEgg. At any, I would bet your video card is the issue.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-07-2012, 07:33 AM
*wild random guess*

have you dusted off your cpu + gpu coolers?

also does only the STO game.exe crash to desktop
or does your complete PC freeze?

(does the numpad light on the keyboard still react?)
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-07-2012, 07:36 AM
SLI and X-Fire Dooes Cause issues with the game and So does DX11
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-07-2012, 08:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraevac View Post
Its your video card. While the GT 2200 appears to have great specs, the card is notorious for being a sub-par card. The 2GB memory of the card doesn't really make up for its lack of performance. Search information on the card, many many people have complained about the cards poor performance in the video game arena.
He's getting black screens + a crash, not bad fps.

@OP
You could try going to Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Event Viewer.
There's a small chance that the system is writing a error msg just before the crash.

Because you've tried other games/programs and they work fine it almost sounds like either flaky system ram or a driver conflict/old driver.

I know you said you tested with a few apps but have you tried a app that really loads up the system ram?
If not try OCCT, It can max out the system ram easily.
http://www.ocbase.com/perestroika_en/index.php?Download

Also make sure you get your drivers here, not via the cd: http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us
Your driver version and date looks odd to me.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-11-2012, 07:22 PM
Well since my STO login seems to be ignored on the PWE Website, and top it off it says my account name is in use… attaching the information here for Tech Support or Tech Smarts. Otherwise I'd submit it to the Tech Support with a ticket.

1) CyberPower, Inc. Sagittarius
2) Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
3) See attached file.

Also, replacing the GT 220 with this new GT 430 has only caused STO to cause the issue before hitting the character select screen.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-12-2012, 06:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destraa View Post
Also, replacing the GT 220 with this new GT 430 has only caused STO to cause the issue before hitting the character select screen.
Did you reinstall the video drivers after the card swap?

If not try uninstalling the drivers -> reboot
-> Use driver sweeper http://www.guru3d.com/category/driversweeper/ -> reboot
-> download the drivers from the nvidia site and install emm. http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

Here's a direct link to the win7 64bit drivers for the gt 430
http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7-wi...ql-driver.html

I also noticed you're running a LCD TV @ 1768 x 992 (32 bit) (29Hz)
I'm not sure if running @ 29Hz refresh rate will cause issues, but with Vsync on you'll be locked @ 29 fps.
With Vsync off gaming @ 29Hz might be a little odd. Various monitors/tv's will respond differently. Some might start ghosting, some may tear. If posible try a different monitor if only for testing.