Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 1 Size of the Odyssey Class?
02-05-2012, 11:22 PM
Hello,

Has there been an established size for this ship? I'm a ship guy and while I know it's supposed to be big the sizes i've seen have been in the 825/850m range, Adam Ihle mentioned if the in game scale was correct to his original plan it would be around 825m long. As far as I can tell from comparisons to the Galaxy and Sovereign classes it seems to be over 1000m long though.

Now while the ships in game are generally scaled better to eachother than other things looking at the Galaxy and Sovereign they aren't actually correct to each other so I made two scales, one using the established Galaxy size (642.5m) and one using the generally given Sovvy size (685.2m). At the Galaxy scale it puts the Odyssey at 1090m and at the Sovvy scale 1037m. Not sure yet what the "official" size would be of it yet then since there is a bit of difference between the two other ships but at either one it looks to be well over 1000 meters.


Here are two comparison charts, one for the Galaxy and one for the Sovvy. 1 pixel = 1 meter.

http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/9...classscale.jpg

http://img593.imageshack.us/img593/8...classscale.jpg


Any official details coming, thoughts?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
02-05-2012, 11:54 PM
<Q voice> Now pay attention, 007; http://www.suricatafx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/enterprise_comparison.png</Q voice>

And as I recall the ships in this game are indeed scaled properly to each other, just not to shuttles (or DS9)
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
02-06-2012, 12:07 AM
Wow!!! That is INDEED a big Ship.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
02-06-2012, 12:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon304 View Post
<Q voice> Now pay attention, 007; http://www.suricatafx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/enterprise_comparison.png</Q voice>

And as I recall the ships in this game are indeed scaled properly to each other, just not to shuttles (or DS9)
I've seen that chart (which is awesome) but it doesn't list a size and the images i'm going by are from the actual in game model. That chart (if I recall correctly) puts it in the 865m range but as I said it appears to be much larger. While the ships are scaled pretty well to each other they don't appear to all be correctly scaled, most aren't so far off that it matters but as far as trying to establish an actual number size it does make it a bit more difficult.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
02-06-2012, 02:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy2k View Post
I've seen that chart (which is awesome) but it doesn't list a size and the images i'm going by are from the actual in game model. That chart (if I recall correctly) puts it in the 865m range but as I said it appears to be much larger. While the ships are scaled pretty well to each other they don't appear to all be correctly scaled, most aren't so far off that it matters but as far as trying to establish an actual number size it does make it a bit more difficult.
Looking at the scale chart, I'm not sure how you managed to set the same camera distance for all three ships.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
02-06-2012, 05:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgotten-Nemesis View Post
Looking at the scale chart, I'm not sure how you managed to set the same camera distance for all three ships.
I used the flat plane of DS9's upper pylon. While I used the same zoom I also lined each ship up against the flat edge of it to get a base for the same size in each image so that I could overlay them and line up the panel details and grooves on top to match sizes.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
02-06-2012, 07:01 AM
Don't let Dontdrunkimshoot see this, he's been on for weeks about how the Sovereign and the Odyssey combined might be about the size of the Galaxy's saucer on a good day and how the Galaxy's stardive is three times as wide as the Odysseys and a lot of other things based more on his love of the ship than anything in reality. The D was a damn fine ship, but holy LORD is the F huge.

Clever use of DS9 to get the scale, by the way. I tried making a similar comparison around ESD but nobody would hold still long enough for me to park my Ody next to them.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 8
02-06-2012, 07:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hevach View Post
Don't let Dontdrunkimshoot see this, he's been on for weeks about how the Sovereign and the Odyssey combined might be about the size of the Galaxy's saucer on a good day and how the Galaxy's stardive is three times as wide as the Odysseys and a lot of other things based more on his love of the ship than anything in reality.
That is sooo true.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 9
02-06-2012, 07:45 AM
That why I hate the Odyssey so much, the nacelles are much too small for the ship.

Ok, itís just one of the reasons.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 10
02-06-2012, 04:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy2k View Post
I've seen that chart (which is awesome) but it doesn't list a size and the images i'm going by are from the actual in game model. That chart (if I recall correctly) puts it in the 865m range but as I said it appears to be much larger. While the ships are scaled pretty well to each other they don't appear to all be correctly scaled, most aren't so far off that it matters but as far as trying to establish an actual number size it does make it a bit more difficult.
Just so ya know skippy, the grid on my chart is 1 square = 25m, so you can actually get a vague size from it (at around 850m).

I based the size on the image Logan posted on Twitter a few weeks back :-

https://p.twimg.com/AjT2tOMCAAIab8-.jpg:large

If you look at the lifeboats in your own pictures (I know we discussed this in PM, but repeating it here for eveyone else) you will see that the lifeboats appear larger in the screenshots you took on the Oddessey, which, if you rescale teh Oddessey so they match the Galaxy and Sovvy, gives you a length of about 850m. It appears for some reason or another the Oddessey was scaled up just before it hit holodeck.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:31 PM.