Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
So the question I'm posing is why not more?

I mean I'm sure most of the player base that was here before P2W and the dilithium grind fest started aren't happy with the state of the game, myself included.

The thing that bugs me is that this dev team have shown time and time again they can make kick *** content when they want to, FE's, the original STF's, remastered episodes, so like I said why not more, story and content are paramount to a successful MMO and a happy player base IMHO, so why waste time making ridiculous events like chasing little Q's around the Academy? Seems a bit stupid.

I have 0 doubt in my mind the new FE will be awesome, but It's high time to finish the Klingons off and release a proper content expansion at least another 10 or so levels worth.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
02-06-2012, 12:14 AM
I don't think it is about wanting to, they certainly want to, its about time, money and resources.

They had to do something for the 2 year anniversary, they did for the 1st year, it was expected, and quite frankly they would be more chastised if they hadn't. It was logical for them to spend time on 2 year event stuff.

Of course they want to do more FE's, they've never hit their goal yet, but they want to do many a year.

They also know they need to get the Klingons where the Fed side is, that has always been a target on their back, they know it, I think perhaps we expect too much with the resources they have.

I don't think desire is in question, but rather time, money and the resources they have at hand.

Really this has all been discussed at length already. We all share the desire for more content, and the KDF getting what it deserves.

2011 was a year of transition, I look forward to 2012 as the year of content.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
02-06-2012, 12:47 AM
Well you're about to get suckered in again dude, because they've already stated only 2 FE's per year, and guess what, FE's are the only real content we get since they canned STF's (Those new missions are dilithium grinds not STF's)
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
02-06-2012, 12:50 AM
The reason is they were bought by a new company and then went f2p.

Atari were supposedly very tight with funding in the end of their ownership which hampered efforts. uncertainty over their future while they were bought would have also played a factor with the team unsure of where their focus should be applied.

then even after they know PW are taking over, they go F2P. That conversion takes time, as lots of background work needs to be done. Not only that but they take the time to adjust how certain things work. the dilithium economy, the ground update, the UI, the event system etc etc. Its arguable whether these changes were needed but they decided to do them to try to make the experience better for the new players so they stick around. we cant change that but i think the final outcome has made a better experience. considering how full the server has been the last few days it would seem to have worked.

They also spent time changing the way the task forces worked, added the borg ground invasions (which is a big event), been doing Christmas and anniversary events. perhaps you think its stupid or a waste of time to be chasing Q around but how many times does an anniversary come round and there is no event at all and people complain that they dont care about us for not doing an event, or too lazy to make one? well they added an event, albeit a simple one and now others think its a waste of time. they cant win.

the end result may not seem that spectacular but its time consuming, but its done now and they can now focus on getting back to pure content.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
02-06-2012, 12:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukas2409
Well you're about to get suckered in again dude, because they've already stated only 2 FE's per year, and guess what, FE's are the only real content we get since they canned STF's (Those new missions are dilithium grinds not STF's)
that is incorrect. they said 2-3 Fe a year and have said nothing about not making other content. they are making klingon content. they are close to finishing one ep already. if they make 5-10 klingon eps this year it is the equal of another 1-2 series worth of content. but these are not FE. they have said the want to make more klingon eps as and when they can.

they want to make more task forces, especially now the new ones have proven to be a hit. they have said they still need to make into the hive so we are getting more task forces.

there are tons of ways to add other content from things like the red alerts, the ground invasion, pvp, patrols, other random events or stand alone episodes. none of those are FE but they are still content. the fact they have said 2-3 FE a year is not evidence that is the only thing we are getting.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
02-06-2012, 12:59 AM
People don't get what I'm saying, junk like red alerts and the new STF do nothing to advance the story of the game or Star Trek at all, FE's and general episodes do.

The beauty of the original STF's is that they were challenging and actually added to the overall story arc of the game, now it's just go in grind this blow up 10 of these and get lost thanks for coming.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
02-06-2012, 01:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukas2409
People don't get what I'm saying, junk like red alerts and the new STF do nothing to advance the story of the game or Star Trek at all, FE's and general episodes do.

The beauty of the original STF's is that they were challenging and actually added to the overall story arc of the game, now it's just go in grind this blow up 10 of these and get lost thanks for coming.
I would say new KDF story missions would advance the storyline of the game.

I would also say, adding in new factions, like the Romulans, which they are going to do, also advances the storyline.

I would personally like to see more than 2 FE's a year also. However, if they are going to stick with 2 FE's a year then they should be of high quality, and they should keep working on improving other areas, like getting the KDF side up to par with the Fed side, and providing content in other ways. There are other ways to advance the storyline, and provide content, than just FE's. But I do like FE's a lot myself.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 8
02-06-2012, 01:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukas2409
People don't get what I'm saying, junk like red alerts and the new STF do nothing to advance the story of the game or Star Trek at all, FE's and general episodes do.

The beauty of the original STF's is that they were challenging and actually added to the overall story arc of the game, now it's just go in grind this blow up 10 of these and get lost thanks for coming.
right so when you say 'real content', what you mean is 'story content'. thats an important difference to clarify in your post.

fine then, i agree with the exception of Klingon eps, the new content probably wont be that story driven.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 9
02-06-2012, 01:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukas2409
People don't get what I'm saying, junk like red alerts and the new STF do nothing to advance the story of the game or Star Trek at all, FE's and general episodes do.

The beauty of the original STF's is that they were challenging and actually added to the overall story arc of the game, now it's just go in grind this blow up 10 of these and get lost thanks for coming.
I wholeheartly understand where you coming from, story arcs is vital for an MMO. It adds to the game lore and makes the experience a lot more wonderful. I too must agree, they destroyed the story arc fluidity of the STF's and converted them into both a dilithium and Mk XII epic item hunt.

but, in all fairness, the original STFs were solely played by most folks for the Borg Retro Gear. I do miss the need to complete one in order to advance to the other - it added to the story line.

I am not saying that the new STFs are bad, its just feels disjointed and broken - and lost the peic endgame feel. They can still adjust it, yet keep it the same - this is how:

Place the story arc portion back together but still keep the space portions and ground portions separated. meaning instead of three loong end game arcs now keep them into six seperate parts, and make them in which you have to do them is sequence order the first time around.

During KA space: add a seventh portion to accomodate the original denatra battle with a possible add on content.

NOTE: Keep them in Gamma space, like the original. Though I understand that the que system is there for convience, for the sake of making sector space somewhat useful, make it that folks have to travel to and fro to Gamma. I miss all those vessels in Gamma Oranis
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 10
02-06-2012, 01:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukas2409
I mean I'm sure most of the player base that was here before P2W and the dilithium grind fest started aren't happy with the state of the game, myself included.
Excuse me, I'd like to put a stop to you there.
While I'm certain that there are many who feel like you, because such is the nature of players to look upon things as so (and more than likely many of you come from grind-fest MMO), I'd challenge these accusations.

First of all, P2W? What do you mean by that?
If you meant Pay 2 Win, then...well, sir, you're being needlessly insultive.

As a matter of fact, I'm quite certain that I could pay for whatever gear Cryptic are selling and go PvP only to get my warp core handed to me in a quantum-compression gift bag.
There's quite a bit more to this game than simply "buying your way through" it.

At best, the store mitigate difficulties and expedite progression.
At worst, it robs the joy of enjoying things in their proper level and progression pace (which I'd argue is quite fast as it is) as well as cultivate a fool's ego.


As for Dilithium grind...grind? Where? When? How? WHY!?

One of the things I found most endearing about STO is that it has no grind.
Everything flows naturally. I never felt any need to grind anything. No pressure, either.
Why grind? For the love of gaming, why even consider such a horrendous subject in the scope of STO?

If you're so hellbent on dilithium, or whatever joys you believe it'll allow you to acquire, go ahead and buy some or 'grind', but that's only a nightmare scenario constructed out of your own self-imposed constraints. A personal demon of your own making.

Are you in a hurry somewhere? Are you dying? Is STO dying? Are Cryptic filing chapter 11?
What's the rush?
You got a **** guild that says "grind and get equipment like us or you're out"? Not really much of a guild or your friends, I guess.

There's no grind. No reason behind it. No purpose to it. If you feel the need to grind, dear sir, it is because you've erected yourself a mental prison. Seek the key. Liberate tute me ex infernis.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:04 PM.