Lt. Commander
So i was thinking, why starships cannot possibly be fighting at full impulse.

We are told full impulse itself is fairly fast, almost the speed of light (warp 1) but not quite.

anyay full impulse can traverse insystem quite quickly, which means it must be going thousands of kilometers an hour...

pray tell then if starships are fighting so close together, like say in Paradise Lost, where we see the defiant strafing the lakota, if the defiant was at any kind of impulse speed, it would have strafed the lakota in like a millisecond, because the lakota isnt thousands of miles long, its less than 1 km.

So therefore, I posit that starships are actually only using thrusters in combat.

take shattered mirror. Theres no way a pilot could react fast enough travelling at any kind of impulse speed, to dodge around deep space nine like the defiant does. one burst of impulse would put it thousands of miles away from the station.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-06-2012, 06:40 AM
However, they mention Impulse in many combat situation in the episodes. The game itself doesn't let us fight at full Impulse because it takes all the energy, you could argue the same happens in the show during combat situations.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-06-2012, 09:13 AM
Well, if we want to get really technical, space battles in Star Trek take place across thousands of Kilometres. The ships would never come within visual range of each other. But that doesnít go well on screen if you canít see both ships fighting, so a bit of visual discrepancies are needed to make it entertaining.

More to your point though about thrusters, the best strategy involves a variable speed algorithm. Anything at a constant speed, direction and rotation makes for easy targeting calculations. Which means travelling at full impulse is probably not a good idea, as it complicates your targeting ability (the faster you are, the faster your calculations have to be) and makes you easier to hit since your manoeuvrability will be greatly impacted.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-06-2012, 09:27 AM
The only time battles took place over that kind of range was in TOS, where they reused a half dozen model shots with slightly different light effects for almost every battle, no matter how many times they changed the enemies.

In every other series, combat typically took place at closer ranges than we have in game - the Enterprise D rarely engaged an enemy from more than two ship lengths, and a couple episodes had the Defiant and an enemy outside of each other's weapons ranges at only 7000 meters. In a handful of cases Voyager and the Enterprise D fired as far as 20-30 km, but never after TOS were combat ranges higher than 50 km ever again referenced.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-06-2012, 09:37 AM
I hate to disagree, but I remember a few episodes of TNG and DS9 where combat took place at up to 300 K. In TNG, it was the one where the USS Phoenix's Captain went rogue, going after Cardassian transports that he suspected were carrying weapons. In DS9, the episode where Tom Riker "borrowed" the Defiant for the Maquis, he was blowing up Cardassian ships/outposts at well over 100K
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-06-2012, 10:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hevach View Post
The only time battles took place over that kind of range was in TOS, where they reused a half dozen model shots with slightly different light effects for almost every battle, no matter how many times they changed the enemies.

In every other series, combat typically took place at closer ranges than we have in game - the Enterprise D rarely engaged an enemy from more than two ship lengths, and a couple episodes had the Defiant and an enemy outside of each other's weapons ranges at only 7000 meters. In a handful of cases Voyager and the Enterprise D fired as far as 20-30 km, but never after TOS were combat ranges higher than 50 km ever again referenced.
I just watched "The Search part 1"(DS9) last night where they discussed if they should de-cloak and engage when the Jam Hadar ship came within weapons range of 100,000km. And TNG was loaded with examples where battles took place over thousands / hundreds of thousands of km.

Aside from what is seen on screen, almost all stated combat distances take place as a distance greater than 5000 km. On episodes (the wounded I believe) was completely based around sensor readings of a pitched space battle at stated ranged greater than 100,000km.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-06-2012, 10:11 AM
Gameplay trumps realism.

As already said, if we were using realistic speeds and distances, you'd pretty much never see your opponents with the naked eye. The only realistic way to display the battle would be as dots on a tactical display, which wouldn't be much fun for most people.

I rationalize it as the distances are actually in thousands of kilometers, and the views are all computer-enhanced so I can see something useful.

I haven't come up with a good one, though, for why I'm looking at my own ship from outside. But first person views make me motion sick, and I need the visual anchor of third person view to play at all, so I pretty much just ignore that one.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-06-2012, 11:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruis.In View Post
So i was thinking, why starships cannot possibly be fighting at full impulse.
They don't. If I recall, I drop to sub-impulse almost every time combat begins. But as others have said, gameplay overrules "reality".
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-06-2012, 11:11 AM
I'm pretty sure there's at least one shot in season 3 of DS9; in the episode "The Die is Cast", where the Defiant is under weapons fire from a Jem'Hadar attack ship. The beams are fired from out side of visual range.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-06-2012, 11:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commadore_Bob
They don't. If I recall, I drop to sub-impulse almost every time combat begins. But as others have said, gameplay overrules "reality".
I don't think OP is talking about gameplay mechanics but Star Trek in general.