Lt. Commander
# 1 Fleet Action Question
02-06-2012, 01:16 PM
During fleet actions it shows something like this
Captain (31) LA (41)

What does the second 1/2 mean? I know that the first half is my rank and level but I do not know what the second half is supposed to be.
I have also noticed something like this when helping friends with their missions. Is it the same or something else?
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-06-2012, 01:25 PM
That means you've been level matched, the second half being the level you're matched to. Your equipment and base stats are bumped up or down to account for the level difference, though it doesn't account for the different number of equipment slots and skills you would gain.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-06-2012, 01:32 PM
How much does it realisticly help?
Does it make my weapons the lowest mk for that tier, or does it just add a flat bonus?
Also, in missions where the number is a good size higher than my current level, I feel useless still.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-06-2012, 01:39 PM
To be honest... it really doesn't. I don't know the actual mechanics of how it scales your gear up, I suspect it's similar to how level scaling weapons work - so they'll generally be better than the lowest mk for the level, but not as good as the highest.

However it works, that's not where the problems come in. If you were at that level the difference bewtween the top and bottom mk for that rank isn't big enough to make you useless. On the other hsnd, like I said, the level matching leaves you short weapon slots, skill points, and boff powers, which really do make up more of what you gain by leveling up than just better equipment. And all those things do end up making you feel useless.

When you're in a group with friends, the best way to solve the problem is to have the lowest level in the group be the leader, so everybody scales down. This has the opposite effect - your gear is scaled down, but you have more of everything and you'll be overpowered. You can crank up the difficulty level or play with group leaders to get the best balance between the bottom being useless and the top being overpowered, or just have fun with the turkey shoot.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-06-2012, 01:47 PM
Thanks.
Since I run a Crusier, my weapon slots are already decently high comparatively.
I am only losing 1-2 depending. But I do feel that the weapons power and shield powers are way lower than I would expect. My shields and hull get burnt through pretty quickly.
The skill lost is probably the most devastating then. Not only can they burn through my shields and hull, and basically ignore my weapons, but I do not have a suitable rebuttal to pull compared to what I would have at that level.
This explains a lot of the problems I have run into.
It seems like a great theory, but thats about it.