Lt. Commander
# 21
02-06-2012, 09:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramp4ge View Post

Memory Alpha is not a canon website.

There is no canon source saying the Nova is a scout ship because there's only one episode where anything is verbally spoken about the Nova, and that's Equinox, where it is explicitely stated that the Nova is a short range ship and that it can't go much faster then Warp 8.

I'm sorry but that is not scout material. A scout needs to be faster then the stuff it's scouting, and a Nova is not fast. A Nova would not make a good scout. That's the Intrepid's job.
The source of memory alpha ...

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Technical Manual at Memory Beta, the wiki for licensed Star Trek works

Information compiled * Spaceflight Chronology
* Star Fleet Technical Manual
* Star Trek: The Next Generation Technical Manual
* Star Trek: Star Charts

Also, just thought this was interesting, they have plenty of interesting quotes on the site from the people who actually drew and designed the ships.

////////////////////

Well, I'm open to the possibility of a website to get something incorrect though. I mean after all anybody can edit the site I think..

But ""In starship classification, a scout ship was a lightly armed, limited-role starship type.

The USS Revere and USS Columbia were designated as scouts. (Star Trek: The Motion Picture) The USS Grissom and Kruge's Bird-of-Prey were also recognized as scout class vessels. (Star Trek III: The Search for Spock)

In 2374, General Martok sent several scout ships to the Cardassian border. They found no sign of Dominion activity. (DS9: "Resurrection") ""

I don't see any rule saying if it can't go faster than warp 8 it's not a scout. Maybe a scout sci ship, like is said in the quote from the previous link.
Lt. Commander
# 22
02-06-2012, 09:45 PM
The DS9 TM doesn't even really talk about the Nova except to say that the Nova's basic hull layout was part of the Defiant Pathfinder program, which it talks about the ship in a "what would have been" if it'd been built in that capability. It wasn't, and the actual canon Nova is far, far from what the design specifications for the "Defiant Pathfinder" were.
Lt. Commander
# 23
02-06-2012, 09:51 PM
Quote:
The DS9 TM doesn't even really talk about the Nova except to say that the Nova's basic hull layout was part of the Defiant Pathfinder program, which it talks about the ship in a "what would have been" if it'd been built in that capability. It wasn't, and the actual canon Nova is far, far from what the design specifications for the "Defiant Pathfinder" were.
Black belt in Nerd-Fu

HeHe, Yeah, DS9 doesn't talk about it much because Star Trek: The Next Generation Technical Manual covers it.

Star Trek: The Next Generation Technical Manual, the Nova-class is the successor of the Galaxy-class starship as the next primary explorer ship of Starfleet. Four different concept designs were presented on pages 177 and 178. The direction the actual Nova-class eventually followed was the down-sized ship with less internal volume that allowed each ship to be refitted for specific mission types and an angular-curvilinear shape designed to allow an enhaced utilization of warp energy.

It's a Sci Scout ship. It meets both definitions. Memory-Alpha is correct in the classification.

Man, I feel like such a nerd.. I just want my uber sci ship/skills people lol

Common, everybody knows sci needs a little love right now..
Lt. Commander
# 24
02-06-2012, 09:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destinii
Pretty much. I think it's fridge logic.
I hear ya. I'm sure flying around in STO killing massive amounts of aliens (at least 100 crew per ship) in spectacular space explosions remains true to Roddenberry's vision of peaceful exploration in a utopian future society

Think about any aspect of the game (and how it compares to cannon and the reality of your actions) for too long and it'll make your head spin. For example:

A simple patrol mission where your ship, regardless of classification, has to take out 5 squadrons... by the time it's over, you've ended the lives of hundreds, maybe thousands of Gorn, Klingons, Humans, Orion, Romulans... they all had families, guys. Maybe some of them didn't even want to be on board when the confrontation took place. And when it's over, some military brass gives you a medal and some shiny purple rocks. Barbaric, isn't it?

How can any one of our captains sleep at night knowing that - in the course of a day - they have extinguished thousands of people's lives? Ever notice how reluctant Picard (TV Picard, not movie Picard) was to destroy another vessel? He didn't want to kill anybody. Yet our captains commit mass execution every single day, regardless of their career choice or ship classification.

But I digress...

I forgot what I was going to say. I've just become overcome with guilt... anyway, yeah, there aren't enough science vessels or diplomatic missions. I think that was my point... I think

Why did I come to this thread again?
Lt. Commander
# 25
02-06-2012, 10:01 PM
At warp 8, it's not going to be a scout.

That isn't a difficult concept to grasp. Slow scout = dead scout. A scout needs to be able to run away. A Nova cannot run away. 100 year old ships are faster then a Nova.

The maximum speed of "not much faster then Warp 8" is stated onscreen, and therefore cannot be debated. We know the Nova's slow, and common sense states that a slow ship would fail at scouting. You need speed to scout effectively and the Nova doesn't have speed.
Lt. Commander
# 26
02-06-2012, 10:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SepsisII View Post
I hear ya. I'm sure flying around in STO killing massive amounts of aliens (at least 100 crew per ship) in spectacular space explosions remains true to Roddenberry's vision of peaceful exploration in a utopian future society

Think about any aspect of the game (and how it compares to cannon and the reality of your actions) for too long and it'll make your head spin. For example:

A simple patrol mission where your ship, regardless of classification, has to take out 5 squadrons... by the time it's over, you've ended the lives of hundreds, maybe thousands of Gorn, Klingons, Humans, Orion, Romulans... they all had families, guys. Maybe some of them didn't even want to be on board when the confrontation took place. And when it's over, some military brass gives you a medal and some shiny purple rocks. Barbaric, isn't it?

How can any one of our captains sleep at night knowing that - in the course of a day - they have extinguished thousands of people's lives? Ever notice how reluctant Picard (TV Picard, not movie Picard) was to destroy another vessel? He didn't want to kill anybody. Yet our captains commit mass execution every single day, regardless of their career choice or ship classification.

But I digress...

I forgot what I was going to say. I've just become overcome with guilt...
HEY, it was self defense I tell you...
Lt. Commander
# 27
02-06-2012, 10:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanlore View Post
HEY, it was self defense I tell you...
lol! Nice sig, by the way
Lt. Commander
# 28
02-06-2012, 10:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SepsisII View Post
lol! Nice sig, by the way
Thanks, It's funny because its true lol..
Lt. Commander
# 29
02-06-2012, 10:09 PM
Quote:
At warp 8, it's not going to be a scout.

That isn't a difficult concept to grasp. Slow scout = dead scout. A scout needs to be able to run away. A Nova cannot run away. 100 year old ships are faster then a Nova.

The maximum speed of "not much faster then Warp 8" is stated onscreen, and therefore cannot be debated. We know the Nova's slow, and common sense states that a slow ship would fail at scouting. You need speed to scout effectively and the Nova doesn't have speed.
Allowed each ship to be refitted for specific mission types and an angular-curvilinear shape designed to allow an enhaced utilization of warp energy.

Also its not just a pure scout. It is a sci version of a scout. Anyways I just quoted cannon above, plus you are just talking about this one ship, not the fact of all the other ships that are really sci ships and not cruisers you can find in the tech manuals. The tech manuals are cannon.
Lt. Commander
# 30
02-06-2012, 10:13 PM
Refitted for specific missions meaning the internal compartments can be adapted to role-specific layouts. Any Federation starship is capable of this. This does not mean it's entire power system can be swapped out at will for a more powerful unit which wouldn't even fit in the ship...

Seriously, when Janeway and Chakotay were discussing the Equinox, they didn't say "This one is fitted this way and isn't much faster then warp 8"..Janeway said "This is a Nova-class ship.."..They were talking about the ship on a class-wide basis.

Meaning the CLASS as a whole is incapable of speeds much above warp 8..