Lt. Commander
# 1 Odyssey hardpoints.
02-06-2012, 06:51 PM
Anyone else find some of the Odyssey's hardpoints rather... odd?

I have things like tractor beams shooting out from phaser strips, and deflector powers firing from the nose instead of the main deflector.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-06-2012, 07:28 PM
On the deflector yes, tractor beams never tried.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexraptor View Post
Anyone else find some of the Odyssey's hardpoints rather... odd?

I have things like tractor beams shooting out from phaser strips, and deflector powers firing from the nose instead of the main deflector.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-06-2012, 07:49 PM
Some of them are weird.

It wouldn't be so odd seeing turrets fire from the end of the nacelles (because it would feel like the CIWS that naval ships have), but having beam arrays firing from there does seem off to me.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-06-2012, 09:00 PM
yeah, and I've noticed that DBBs fire from points on the bottom of the saucer and pass through it if the target is above you.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-08-2012, 05:42 AM
Both the Odyssey and the Bortas have this problem. I find it especially funny when I'm getting hit with a beam salvo from one of them that's coming from the left/right nacelle...

-Quiiliitiila
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-08-2012, 06:04 AM
The hardpoints do seem rushed.

The tractor beam is however a directed energy beam, so in THEORY i geuss you could modify the phasers to function as tractor.
It shouldn shoot from the deflector at least.

But the other sci skills are defnetly deflector.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-08-2012, 11:56 AM
I agree that the beams firing from the nacelles looks really strange, but if it were up to me every ship would only fire beams from the saucer or main hull, firing from the pylons makes me cringe too. Somewhere around the aft shuttlebay would be better IMO. As for tractors, they seem ok, they alternate between firing from the saucer or just below the after shuttle bay, better than most ships firing from the deflector.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-08-2012, 12:05 PM
Nothing odd about them at all... why do you ask?
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-08-2012, 12:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anazonda View Post
The hardpoints do seem rushed.

The tractor beam is however a directed energy beam, so in THEORY i geuss you could modify the phasers to function as tractor.
It shouldn shoot from the deflector at least.

But the other sci skills are defnetly deflector.
Actually the deflector makes more sense than the phaser arrays. The tractor beam is made up of gravitons which the deflector dish can emit. Hell, we even have a Graviton Deflector Array in-game.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-08-2012, 12:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amosov
Actually the deflector makes more sense than the phaser arrays. The tractor beam is made up of gravitons which the deflector dish can emit. Hell, we even have a Graviton Deflector Array in-game.
But the Deflector has nothing to do with tractor beams... let me illustrate:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-oEsq4g0_DU..._Stargazer.jpg

In this image we can see that a Tractor beam is being emitted from around the forward torpedo tubes.

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/File...am_emitter.jpg

A stand alone tractor emitter for shuttles

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/File...rcha_class.jpg

Defiant using a topside tractor beam... again not from the deflector.

In fact I can't remember a single instance, where a starship of any species has used the deflector to create a tractor beam.